Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

I completely understand the argument for Seattle wearing blue and green. I just think with their closest rival wearing it, its a perfect opportunity for them to utilize some looks and colours we don't already have in the NHL. There are a whole bunch of great unused colour schemes in the league, and the potential for some refreshing, idiosyncratic new ones like Vegas pulled off. Blue and green feels like a waste, even if the shades are slightly changed.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot agree.  

I don’t think teams are obligated to choose color schemes on any basis other than: “Does this look good?  Is this how we want to represent ourselves and our city?”  Who cares about the rest of the league?

Teams are under no obligation to be “idiosyncratic” in the context of the rest of the league.  Nor should they be.

If the Seattle NHL team thinks some version of green and blue best represents Seattle, and they choose shades that look good together, that’s the highest priority a team can have. 

1 hour ago, uniformity said:

Branding 101 in sports is to own a colour scheme. Its moot regardless because Seattle already said they wont wear blue and green

Well I'd rather they use a great existing color scheme, than try and reinvent the wheel and have a marginal one that's unique. Of course if they can get a great, uniquely theirs palette, perfect.

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I cannot agree.  

I don’t think teams are obligated to choose color schemes on any basis other than: “Does this look good?  Is this how we want to represent ourselves and our city?”  Who cares about the rest of the league?

Teams are under no obligation to be “idiosyncratic” in the context of the rest of the league.  Nor should they be.

If the Seattle NHL team thinks some version of green and blue best represents Seattle, and they choose shades that look good together, that’s the highest priority a team can have. 

I never said they were under any obligation to. I said it would be best. Chicago has great jerseys, but I don't want 31 other teams wearing red white and black with those stripes just because it looks good for them.

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Well I'd rather they use a great existing color scheme, than try and reinvent the wheel and have a marginal one that's unique. Of course if they can get a great, uniquely theirs palette, perfect.

Seattle could absolutely own Brown & Green as a color scheme.  Add in some yellow and you have a very Seattle, very unique color scheme.  

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Brown jerseys & pants, with Green as secondary and yellow only on piping.  Think woodsy, forest theme.  You could have a green alternate and maybe even a yellow "white" jersey. 

7 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Seattle could absolutely own Brown & Green as a color scheme.  Add in some yellow and you have a very Seattle, very unique color scheme.  

Brown jerseys & pants, with Green as secondary and yellow only on piping.  Think woodsy, forest theme.  You could have a green alternate and maybe even a yellow "white" jersey. 

Tone down the brown to a deep espresso shade like this and limit the yellow to a tertiary like Vegas uses red and you might have something.

DBI_Corian_Deep_Espresso-510x510.jpg

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

My first impression is Bob Marley and the Wailers. Not a bad palette but maybe not for Seattle.

29 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Have they?

No. They said they won’t use Green and Yellow because Sonics. 

They have an option for “not blue and green” on their site. They clearly don’t want to use it that much, but it sounds like they would if the fans demanded.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

19 hours ago, WideRight said:

I always thought brown was highly underutilized in sports in general. It's hard to use it properly, but if done right it could be great. 

sig.png

20 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Have they?

One of the owners was on local sports radio and just said they wouldn't use the Sonics' colors and said blue/green was already being used by who they hope becomes their arch rivals. Didn't exactly say no to the blue/green but doesn't sound like he was in favor of it. 

I wouldn't expect blue/green to be a front-running color combo because, as hawk said, they're clearly not in favor of looking too similar to their hopeful rivals just up the pond, especially given one of their choices on the poll was "Anything that eats Canucks". Honestly, I think they'll probably settle on a color scheme more inspired by PNW artwork; a maroon, light blue and white combo could look really sharp on the ice, and it isn't really a combo any other NHL team uses.

I'd love Sockeyes as the team name; it's the right mix of goofy animal name (Penguins, Ducks) and classic-sounding hockey name (Bruins, Leafs, Panthers, Red Wings). I won't lie and say I wouldn't love Metropolitans, either, but that's probably not happening what with the Metropolitan Division and all.

Kraken always struck me as too peewee try-hard "cool" for a professional team, plus it'd be another team without a plural name, and I already get irritated about Minnesota doing that. The rest I could take or leave, depending on branding.

7 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I won't lie and say I wouldn't love Metropolitans, either, but that's probably not happening what with the Metropolitan Division and all.

It’s pretty stupid that the NHL is putting the name of a pretty new division over a potential name for the Seattle club that actually has a lot of history. 

That’s the NHL for ya though. Welcome to the party 😕

I’m not a fan of trying to recapture what Pittsburgh and half of the New York teams have done for their color schemes. It makes their synchronicity less special when other cities copy it. I would like a regionally-appropriate color scheme for the team that doesn’t copy the Mariners/Seahawks/Sonics. Maybe dark green/light blue would be nice?

2 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It’s pretty stupid that the NHL is putting the name of a pretty new division over a potential name for the Seattle club that actually has a lot of history. 

That’s the NHL for ya though. Welcome to the party 😕

I'm pretty much certain their first third jersey is going to be a Metropolitans throwback, at the very least, given how much the ownership group is pushing the Metropolitans in their marketing. Maybe Vancouver can dig out their Millionares alts and we can see a Metropolitans/Millionares Stadium Series at some point, which could be really nice.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:52 PM, WideRight said:

overlaundered North Stars

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

overlaundered North Stars

Plus, green and yellow are the Sonics' colors, and you'd be absolutely friggin' insane to think the Seattle ownership group would go and poach the Sonics' colors when the city is already trying desperately to get a new NBA team; adding brown wouldn't save them from the barrage of Sonics comparisons. They'll likely use a color scheme not used in the NHL or in their other professional leagues to avoid stepping on any toes.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m not a fan of trying to recapture what Pittsburgh and half of the New York teams have done for their color schemes. It makes their synchronicity less special when other cities copy it. I would like a regionally-appropriate color scheme for the team that doesn’t copy the Mariners/Seahawks/Sonics. Maybe dark green/light blue would be nice?

The “green and blue is Seattle’s colour scheme” never really seemed authentic to me. 

The Sonics were green and gold, and traded that in for maroon and green for a few years. 

The Seahawks were always blue and green, yes.

The Mariners though? Blue and gold for a long while before they adopted navy and teal in the 90s. Given the era it was adopted in? I’m going to say that had more to do with chasing 90s trends (darkening the royal blue to navy and replacing the athletic gold with the then-super marketable teal) then attempting any sort of Seattle colour synergy. 

Then the Sonics left and the MLS version of the Sounders popped up using the Seahawks colour scheme and suddenly every team in Seattle HAS to be blue and green. Made worse by that near-irreverent rugby team aping the Sounders’ branding.

It all seems contrived when contrasted to Pittsburgh teams being black and gold because of the city’s heraldry or some New York teams being blue and orange because of the city’s flag/Dutch heritage. 

I mean does anyone really think a reborn Sonics team will be green and blue? No. They’ll green and gold because that’s the Sonics’ colour scheme that predates the modern notion of green and blue. 

Which shows how silly the idea is. 

All of which is to say that everything will be just fine in the event that the Seattle NHL team goes with a colour scheme other than green and blue. 

Even Vancouver's franchises aren't consistent; their NBA franchise was blue, black and brown, the MLS team is blue and white, and their minor league hockey teams have all sorts of color schemes that aren't green, white and blue. Hell, even the Canucks were blue and red originally, not blue and green. I don't see a reason Seattle needs to have some consistent palette to their franchises; in fact, not doing green-and-blue is a smart tactic since it means you aren't blending in too much with every other team in the city, and thus more merchandise can be sold on not looking like the other franchises in your city.

I mean, that and it gives you an excuse to pop a green-and-blue third at some point, too 😛

Archived