Toronto206

Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Recommended Posts

On 5/11/2019 at 10:09 AM, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I don’t see Kraken as being exclusively North Atlantic at this point.  There are arguments against it, but that’s not one of them. 

There aren't wild Tigers, Lions, Bengals, Jaguars or Penguins in the United States or Canada but there are teams named for them....so Kraken is fine with me if they go with it.  I dont like the name, but it would have precedence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

25 minutes ago, Goatiest Maximian said:

Correct a hoe if im wrong. But do the Seattle teams all follow Seattle-S format?

 

Seattle Mariners do not.

 

Also the minor league Seattle Thunderbirds.

Defunct teams include the Pilots and Metropolitans.

 

Woman's soccer had Seattle Reign FC but they moved to Tacoma and are just Reign FC now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, the admiral said:

God, Kraken is such a terrible name, I feel like the fascination with this name is a practical joke that everyone is conspiring to play on me, just me.

 

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Take solace in the fact that there's no way the team will be the "Kraken" and by the end of 2019 it'll be a distant memory.

 

I think the name will almost certainly be Sockeyes, with the only hurdle being acquiring the trademark from that romance author.

 

I also don't think the team is set on a red-black color scheme just because they're using it currently on their website, like everyone else seems to think. "NHL Seattle" is a brand of its own, that uses red/black, but when they re-brand to "Seattle Sockeyes" or whatever it may be, the colors will change accordingly. I'd love to see the Seattle Sockeyes in black, teal, and salmon. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, who do you think said:

'Sockeyes' is awful. Worse than Kraken.

 

Yeah the "sock eye" thing is just silly and forced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, king_mahalo said:

 

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Take solace in the fact that there's no way the team will be the "Kraken" and by the end of 2019 it'll be a distant memory.

 

I think the name will almost certainly be Sockeyes, with the only hurdle being acquiring the trademark from that romance author.

 

I also don't think the team is set on a red-black color scheme just because they're using it currently on their website, like everyone else seems to think. "NHL Seattle" is a brand of its own, that uses red/black, but when they re-brand to "Seattle Sockeyes" or whatever it may be, the colors will change accordingly. I'd love to see the Seattle Sockeyes in black, teal, and salmon. 

 

 

 

The author is fine if the team wants to name the team Sockeyes as her trademark is only for books.  https://www.jamidavenport.com/for-immediate-release-jami-davenports-statement-on-seattle-sockeyes-sports-team-name/ The bigger question is whether the team/NHL would be fine sharing it with her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, daveindc said:

 

Yeah the "sock eye" thing is just silly and forced.

Why? Are people aware that Sockeye is a type of salmon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only decent name that’s been floated about is Emeralds, IMO. Kraken is bad, Sockeyes is worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the plural of 'Sockeye' just 'Sockeye'? Naming them the "Sockeye'S'" would be pretty dumb. At least the Leafs have the excuse that they're technically named after an army regiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seattle Suckass.

 

Said it once and I'll say it again, "Seattle Evergreens" sounds like it could have been around forever. That's what I'd want for a team in a major American city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Seattle Suckass.

 

Said it once and I'll say it again, "Seattle Evergreens" sounds like it could have been around forever. That's what I'd want for a team in a major American city.

 

Seattle Neverwins

 

You can do this for any name, it's a terrible reason not to pick a name. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll get flamed for this, but Brandiose could have a field day with Sockeyes.  A salmon with hockey gloves throwing a punch!😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it have to be Seattle Sockeyes? Why not Seattle Salmon? I feel like that sounds more professional, and at the very least a majority of people would actually know what it is right away. I was unsure what a sockeye was at first, but I’ve known what a salmon is for quite some time.

 

And I think Seattle Salmon sounds a lot better than Seattle Sockeyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Why? Are people aware that Sockeye is a type of salmon?

 

 

Yes, we are all aware it's a type of Salmon. Sockeye Salmon fillet is available at every local grocery store.

 

Image result for sockeye salmon grocery store

 

 

 

Saying Sockeye is a good hockey name because it sounds like "sock 'em in the eye" or whatever is just cheesy and stupid. A complete stretch...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've posted this before, but there's a pretty significant Nordic population in Seattle. Last year, a pretty great Nordic Museum opened in a north Seattle neighborhood: https://nordicmuseum.org/

 

Kraken would be apt. Not great anyway, but apt nonetheless. 

 

Sockeye is dumb, Kraken is dumb. Metropolitans is great but the NHL is dumb. I think I like Totems the best, but totally get why that won't and likely shouldn't happen.

 

If we're going to go with a local animal, I think Seals would be fine. Marmots would be cute. Mountain Goats is not alliterative and not brief, but would be fine as an idea. Orcas would have the lost local pride, but Vancouver beat us to it (kind of).

 

Team colors really need to be blue and green. People will be pissed if they're not.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Team colors really need to be blue and green. People will be pissed if they're not.

 

Only problem with Blue & Green is that you have Vancouver right next door and (correct me if I'm wrong) the same division. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Only problem with Blue & Green is that you have Vancouver right next door and (correct me if I'm wrong) the same division. 

 

If they go with a dark navy or unique shade of blue (like steel blue), and lime green, it'll set them apart and still tie in with Seattle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Only problem with Blue & Green is that you have Vancouver right next door and (correct me if I'm wrong) the same division. 

 

They can go back to their natural colors of red, yellow and black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's make this decision easy.  Seattle Totems.  Kelly green with silver trim.  Start making the uniforms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.