MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

I think the pirates are going Crawfords next weekend. Because of ownership, I don’t go anymore and barely watch, but lids has a Crawfords hat marked 2018 turn back the clock and they are giving away Crawfords shirts this Friday. They’ve done them a few times in the past and did homestead grays last year.

KISSwall09.jpg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, LWLLWWW said:

Apologies in advance if already discussed, but are the Players Weekend jerseys going to be a thing again this season? Last year it was in August but I feel like I haven't seen any news here in July.

They will have Player’s Weekend; likely announced after ASG break. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Is the proposed ballpark including a retractable roof? I feel like the number one reason they don't sell is because of the dull and dreary atmosphere that the Trop provides.

The plans call for a $240 million translucent retractable roof. Total project cost is about $900 million, but funding is somewhere between thin and non-existent. I don’t think this project ever happens and the Rays will be out of Florida before 2030. 

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

Nothing better for healing old wounds than cutting open new ones.

Seems sometimes that the new wound would be but a scratch.

If the Rays really want to build public support for a new stadium, they should start by building public support for the team itself.  Popular teams can leverage that popularity.  When even the team’s stars call out the fans for not showing up, you know things are bad. 

27 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Seems sometimes that the new wound would be but a scratch.

If the Rays really want to build public support for a new stadium, they should start by building public support for the team itself.  Popular teams can leverage that popularity.  When even the team’s stars call out the fans for not showing up, you know things are bad. 

This team is not in a good standing in the community right now. Stu Sternberg has made it clear that he does not care about the fans or the team. He will do whatever pads his bank account the most, and then take whatever is left and feebly attempt to win, and you can't run a pro sports team like that. It doesn't help his case that, less than a five minute drive from Sternberg's new dream stadium is a team with an owner and a GM who care about putting an entertaining and competitive team on the ice day after day, year after year, and it shows with almost four straight seasons of selling out the stadium every night.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Different sport, different market.  And the Expos were terrible for years, which hurt their attendance. 

But let’s not pretend that the Rays’ problems are new, or that they’re tied to an owner or on-field struggles.  Even when the Rays were the class of the AL, and led the league all the way to the pennant, people stayed home in droves. This is an old, old problem, as old as the team itself. 

24 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Different sport, different market.  And the Expos were terrible for years, which hurt their attendance. 

But let’s not pretend that the Rays’ problems are new, or that they’re tied to an owner or on-field struggles.  Even when the Rays were the class of the AL, and led the league all the way to the pennant, people stayed home in droves. This is an old, old problem, as old as the team itself. 

The issue is the Dome and it's location.
The team needs to move....just to where people actually live. It's a 45 Minute drive to go to a game there, and it's all highway with few stops along the way. Who wants to get stuck in 45 mins of traffic going to a night game.

Marlins did one thing right- they moved where it's easier to get in and out of the stadium with options on how to get home- or go out for the rest of the night. When the product on the field  improves consistently- I can see it being similar to a heat game during the lebron era.

They just need to make the market give a bleep.

The Rays can't do anything in the middle of a industiral area in a ballpark that was once a convention center and a hockey arena. It's almost like those abandoned shopping malls you see on TV in apocalypse movies.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The Expos had a winning record in two of the three years before their move, and were at least .500 in ten of the eighteen years before their move. Yes, they had a stretch in the late '90s and early '00s where they were below 70 wins in five of seven seasons, but that's not exactly unique among franchises. The Tigers had a much worse stretch, by just about any measure, from 1994-2005, and they opened a new stadium during that time!  It all comes back to funding - the Tigers had it, the Expos didn't (and the Rays might not).

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

43 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

They just need to make the market give a bleep.

As do the Rays.  There’s scant evidence they’ve made a dent, even when they had the best team in baseball. 

Even their television ratings are artificially boosted by a larger-than-usual number of games against the Yankees and Red Sox, who are more popular in the Tampa Bay Area than the Rays.  It’s not like there aren’t any baseball fans in town, the problem is that there aren’t enough Rays fans.  

9 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

Is the proposed ballpark including a retractable roof? I feel like the number one reason they don't sell is because of the dull and dreary atmosphere that the Trop provides.

They're doing what the Vikings did. Translucent roof, big doors that open to, as the Ray's put it, "bring the outside in"

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

Montreal is probably dead as a baseball town and Tampa-St. Pete has ~3,000,000 people plus another 3,000,000 in Orlando. We're talking baseball, not hockey; they gotta find a way to make it work.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

The plans call for a $240 million translucent retractable roof. Total project cost is about $900 million, but funding is somewhere between thin and non-existent. I don’t think this project ever happens and the Rays will be out of Florida before 2030. 

It won't be retractable.

A nicer stadium was long overdue, and a better location will only help. Weren't the Giants ready to move to the Tampa Bay area 25 years ago before they got their new stadium deal in SF? I don't want to see the Rays give up on that market, with a decent size metro area and a proven track record with other sports teams, but it'll probably be tough to get funding.

Archived