MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

As far as the Braves go, the gold is more metallic looking that I always though it was.I always thought it was more yellow/athletic gold like the Cardinals. Has  it always been a brassy metallic gold on the tomahawk on the uniforms?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, skip88 said:

A shame, Braves are dark enough already, we need more vibrant colors in sports not more dark and doom. Tigers and Yankees got that covered 

Just look at Oakland's new sweet green jerseys 

The early 00s saw a lot of teams darken their color schemes (Rams, Patriots, many others), so I figured at some point, there'd be a return to brighter colors. But other than the A's and (maybe) the Rockies, this hasn't really happened yet.

8 hours ago, el_gmac said:

Yes Dodgers do not use them , Yankees when they play at home but that's normal. watching the Orioles and they're wearing their reg home caps.

I just hope MLB teams noticed how stupid and crappy the Pro-Light is that we won't see them next season

New Era has to make the Diamond Era mesh be used full time.  The regular season hats are too heavy and the Prolight is too flimsy.  The Diamond Era hats are the best feeling hat ive ever worn.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

13 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

New Era has to make the Diamond Era mesh be used full time.  The regular season hats are too heavy and the Prolight is too flimsy.  The Diamond Era hats are the best feeling hat ive ever worn.

I agree. I bought the first Pirates diamond era hat about a month after it came out and I've worn it a ton of times. Very durable and breathable material and fits comfortably on my head. Real shame they stopped using the DE mesh. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

10 hours ago, itsmb8 said:

No thanks. Bought 6-7 Diamond Era's and have yet to have one that fits. There are times that I do like/prefer the lighter material of the Diamond Era's but I can't wear them all the time like I can the AC 5950's. 

TaxSlayer Bowl_sig.png

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The whole uniform was great, even considering that it was a pullover/beltless.  I also dug the simplicity of the cap.

The uniform looked beautiful in the sunshine.

Related image

I love the versatility of it. That style -- the style of that era, really -- worked just as well for a beer league as it did for the major leagues. There's a certain charm to that, if you ask me. 

On 2/26/2018 at 8:43 PM, itsmb8 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I definitely knew that Arizona was doing that with their Thursday Throwbacks and I kind of assumed Miami would do something based off of their anniversary logo.  And as a Brewers fan, I shouldve known that.  I actually make uniforms for the Out Of The Park computer sim, so I have a full excel list with all uniforms for the new season so I know what to make.  If you guys or anyone else wants to take a look at it and maybe point out something I missed or make any informed suggestions on what to add id be very appreciative!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Km2FEx2X8NZNtu1nWvVaKxysJQXf3iBN7jAOY40TyhQ/edit?usp=sharing

I believe you may have forgotten the Giants "Gigantes" jerseys.  I think they are wearing them this year but am unsure of when that could happen

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The whole uniform was great, even considering that it was a pullover/beltless.  I also dug the simplicity of the cap.

The uniform looked beautiful in the sunshine.

Related image

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I love the versatility of it. That style -- the style of that era, really -- worked just as well for a beer league as it did for the major leagues. There's a certain charm to that, if you ask me. 

Yeah, I love those bold, beautiful colors set off by all that white.  

My favorite version was the last flannel the Brewers wore, button-up with blue/gold/blue piping at the sleeves and throat.

103843a_lg.jpeg

thomas.jpg

Gorgeous.  I don't usually buy authentic jerseys, but if they have a throwback event I'll absolutely buy one of these.  And then I'll put the McAuliffe numbers on.

13930963%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

My favorite version was the last flannel the Brewers wore, button-up with blue/gold/blue piping at the sleeves and throat.

103843a_lg.jpeg

Ah, great point!  That is even better!

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Gorgeous.  I don't usually buy authentic jerseys, but if they have a throwback event I'll absolutely buy one of these.  And then I'll put the McAuliffe numbers on.

13930963],sizedata[850x600]&call=u

First, the sans-serif numbers pictures are not the right font.

Secondly: McAuliffe numbers?  That's the font which is now used only by the Red Sox, but which has been used in the past by the Angels, the Tigers, the A's, the Dodgers, and even the Yankees (and probably a few more teams that I am forgetting).  That font was not used with that Brewers uniform -- or any Brewers uniform.  Why would you put those numbers on this Brewers jersey? 

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

First, the sans-serif numbers pictures are not the right font.

Secondly: McAuliffe numbers?  That's the font which is now used only by the Red Sox, but which has been used in the past by the Angels, the Tigers, the A's, the Dodgers, and even the Yankees (and probably a few more teams that I am forgetting).  That font was not used with that Brewers uniform -- or any Brewers uniform.  Why would you put those numbers on this Brewers jersey? 

Aha - you noticed that!  Those sans-serif numbers are a McAuliffe font.  

I'm not talking about the font you're undoubtedly thinking of, although the Brewers did get some flannel jerseys from McAuliffe in the early 1970s and did wear that font:

a31ad56e-728d-49f6-a2cc-0e6e20317ce7_med7e421694-6888-4bdf-b17b-d3128909301a_med.jpeg

I'm thinking specifically of the sans-serif font on the Hank Aaron jersey.  When Hammering Hank came back to the Brewers, they ordered a bunch of extra jerseys so he could give them away.  Some were worn in games, some weren't.  And some of which came from McAuliffe in Boston, with that sans-serif font.  Even the game-worn jersey Aaron donated to the Smithsonian features those sans-serif McAuliffe numbers.

And as for "why"?  I just like 'em better.  Not a huge fan of the heavy-footed serifed 4 on his regular jersey.  :D 

Wow, thanks for the information that the Brewers wore the "Red Sox font"! 

At first I thought that that jersey would have to be from 1971, the only year that they had front numbers and a button-down jersey.  But I see it identified online as being from 1970 spring training. 

I have to admit that I doubt that listing, as the 1970 jerseys were relettered Pilots jerseys that still had the Pilots' sleeve stripes, and had no front numbers.

Image result for 1970 milwaukee brewers  Related image

Why would the Brewers get new uniforms for 1970 spring training, and then not use them in the season?

Anyway, the move to Milwaukee didn't happen until late in spring training; the team played most of March 1970 as the Pilots.  After the move was announced, the front office created a few copies of a prototype uniform, in a style that was never ultimately used.

Related image

And all 1971 pictures of the home uniform that I can find show the front numbers in the varsity / full block style that they kept through the change to pullover/beltless and for decades thereafter.

Related image

So please tell me what you know about the use of the uniform with the Red Sox McAullife font.

Now, about the name of the font: I thought that the Red Sox number font was called "McAuliffe".  Is this not correct?  If not, then what is the name of that distinctive number font? 

The font on the Aaron jersey that you showed is just the standard block number font used by the Mets, Dodgers, and several other Major League teams, isn't it?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Wow, thanks for the information that the Brewers wore the "Red Sox font"! 

At first I thought that that jersey would have to be from 1971, the only year that they had front numbers and a button-down jersey.  But I see it identified online as being from 1970 spring training. 

I have to admit that I doubt that listing, as the 1970 jerseys were relettered Pilots jerseys that still had the Pilots' sleeve stripes, and had no front numbers.

Image result for 1970 milwaukee brewers  Related image

Why would the Brewers get new uniforms for 1970 spring training, and then not use them in the season?

Many of those old 1969 jerseys were re-purposed for later years, with the pilots' stripes removed and front numbers added.  That could be why it uses different fonts for the 5 on the front and the back - the front numbers were added later, very likely by a different manufacturer using its own (different) stock numbers.

a31ad56e-728d-49f6-a2cc-0e6e20317ce7_med7e421694-6888-4bdf-b17b-d3128909301a_med

Clubs would re-use jerseys for years, sometimes until they literally fell apart.  If that meant changing the details, so be it.

It's also possible that this jersey started out life as a Spring Training jersey for the Pilots.  Those would have been even easier to re-purpose for the move to Milwaukee.

schultz.jpg

All the Pilots' 1969 spring jerseys I've seen were made by Wilson.  I don't know if all were, though.  Nor do I know if any of the jerseys ordered by Seattle for the 1970 season came from different manufacturers.  Keep in mind that while some Brewers ended up with re-lettered jerseys still bearing "1969" tags, others would have been issued brand-new uniforms intended for the season opener in Seattle just a couple weeks away.

Anyway, the move to Milwaukee didn't happen until late in spring training; the team played most of March 1970 as the Pilots.  After the move was announced, the front office created a few copies of a prototype uniform, in a style that was never ultimately used.

Related image

One copy, actually.  Every photo I've seen of that style is the exact same jersey - I track the whole sage (with photos) on my blog, if anyone is interested. I can only presume from what we have that there was one prototype, passed around and used for photo shoots on different players.  And one flight attendant.

1970_BrewersPrototype_Kennedy.jpg

Now as to why that uniform was never put into production?  You've got me.  

And all 1971 pictures of the home uniform that I can find show the front numbers in the varsity / full block style that they kept through the change to pullover/beltless and for decades thereafter.

Related image

Yes, the club would buy every player a new uniform for the start of the year.  But players need more than one, and the club would supplement those with re-used uniforms from prior years.  So as the season went on, you could find yourself with a mishmash of uniforms.  And since the most common player photos of that period are from Spring Training and the beginning of a season....

So please tell me what you know about the use of the uniform with the Red Sox McAullife font.

Now, about the name of the font: I thought that the Red Sox number font was called "McAuliffe".  Is this not correct?  If not, then what is the name of that distinctive number font? 

The font on the Aaron jersey that you showed is just the standard block number font used by the Mets, Dodgers, and several other Major League teams, isn't it?

It is often called "McAuliffe" in this community.  I do not know what McAuliffe themselves called it; maybe we can dig up some style books.  But you have to remember that, back in the day, teams weren't so picky about those details and manufacturers would just slap one of their own stock fonts on jerseys.  This extended to cap logos - every time the Brooklyn Dodgers changed their cap manufacturer, they got a slightly different logo.  Heck, in 1955 McAuliffe just gave them Red Sox caps without the outline!

5669977300_575cee1102.jpg5669406559_c0da3557b0_z.jpg

McAuliffe had its "fancy" 1920s jersey font, which the Red Sox still use (and some of us call "McAuliffe" today), and then they had a serif font, a sans-serif font, and maybe a couple extras.  The jerseys that the Brewers ordered from McAuliffe in 1975 and 1976 had that company's sans-serif font on them.  Or some of them did.

It's the combination of various manufacturer practices, re-using jerseys year after year, and buying partial stock from different suppliers that makes cataloging these things alternately thrilling and frustrating.  You can't assume anything, not even that teammates would be wearing the same uniforms at the same time on the diamond.

Archived