2 hours ago, Quillz said:

The people making the billboard probably didn't even think about things like that. Hell they probably don't even live in LA.

People of even below average intelligence could probably tell the difference between baseball and politics. Doesn't seem like a real issue to me. Unless people in Los Angeles are super dumb, but I never got that impression.

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Also, "Freeway Series"? Lame.

I like it. But blame the car companies for killing public transit in Southern California if you must.

• Like 1

What's wrong with it (other than the general ills of Southern California urban planning)? I like it as the West Coast counterpart to Subway Series.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like Freeway Series.

24 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

People of even below average intelligence could probably tell the difference between baseball and politics. Doesn't seem like a real issue to me. Unless people in Los Angeles are super dumb, but I never got that impression.

I was meaning the history of gangs in LA and the colours of the two major gangs, not politics.

• Like 3

deK8sJk.png

44 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I like Freeway Series.

I was meaning the history of gangs in LA and the colours of the two major gangs, not politics.

Ah. Well. Nevermind then. This is why we have locals like you to set us straight.

14 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Ah. Well. Nevermind then. This is why we have locals like you to set us straight.

Yes, it is me, a definite local Southern Californian local. I hate traffic and I drink pop soda. I love the beach but I hate traffic. Did you see the traffic on the I-5? I was just trying to go to In-N-Out.

(I'm most definitely not local, I am Canadian)

• Like 4

deK8sJk.png

32 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Yes, it is me, a definite local Southern Californian local. I hate traffic and I drink pop soda. I love the beach but I hate traffic. Did you see the traffic on the I-5? I was just trying to go to In-N-Out.

(I'm most definitely not local, I am Canadian)

I saw Bangin' in LIttle Rock, I understand gang stuff. It was like a rite of passage in Central Arkansas. Let's all refer to interstates as the from now on.

It's the inverse of Chicago, where the tollways and expressways comprise route numbers that change or get doubled up such that saying "94" is effectively meaningless. They're all 94!

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

It's the inverse of Chicago, where the tollways and expressways comprise route numbers that change or get doubled up such that saying "94" is effectively meaningless. They're all 94!

I really appreciate Chicago’s naming conventions, because it’s easy to be clear and concise in traffic reports about which road you’re talking about. “[inbound or outbound] [name of expressway]” is pretty easy and unambiguous!

Contrast that to Indianapolis, where you regularly get traffic reports you have to pay strong attention to like “westbound 70 on the east side,” “southbound 465 on the west side,” or “northbound 65 heading out of the North Split.”

My favorite, though, is a report like “northbound 465 at 56th Street.”

Which 56th Street? There are two exits for northbound 465 at a 56th Street on opposite sides of the town! Which one is kinda important!

--

I am also in favor of adopting L.A.’s conventions, though, if for no other reason than my sophomoric sense of humor being able to tell people I grew up near, or might take, “The 69.”

6fQjS3M.png

Updates!

So, essentially:

*the arena can be blown up to expand the footprint

*the contract with the Grand Prix is up in 2023 and can have the course layout renegotiated

*the city sites numerous parking garages in the area that can accommodate fans

*the Angels will decide by the end of the year

VmWIn6B.png

Why are these stadium developments always packaged alongside the most garbage of retail/dining developments?

Does anyone need L.A. Live on steroids? It's a couple crappy restaurants and a Lucky Strike that just has an ESPN office attached, who cares?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 8:58 AM, Digby said:

Why are these stadium developments always packaged alongside the most garbage of retail/dining developments?

Does anyone need L.A. Live on steroids? It's a couple crappy restaurants and a Lucky Strike that just has an ESPN office attached, who cares?

Foot traffic = potential sales tax dollars.  81 baseball games aren't good enough as the cost of venues continues to grow faster than GDP.  Hell, colleges/universities are getting into the PPP (public/private partnership) real estate business in the last decade.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2019 at 8:06 PM, crashcarson15 said:

I really appreciate Chicago’s naming conventions, because it’s easy to be clear and concise in traffic reports about which road you’re talking about. “[inbound or outbound] [name of expressway]” is pretty easy and unambiguous!

Except that those of us (me) who don't live there can't keep track of which is the Eisenhower, the Dan Ryan, or the Tri-State. 🙂

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember watching "Sonicsgate" and thinking Seattle was silly for letting the Sonics leave, and that I was upset their decision was largely influenced by a local group that was against using public funds for building stadiums. But more than a decade later, I realize now they made the right decision. People are realizing that billionaires can build their stadiums without public funds, and their promises of x and y almost never pan out. I wonder if the Rams would have gotten public funding for their stadium had Seattle done so to keep the Sonics there. I think a major precedent was set when that happened.

• Like 1

No one let the Sonics leave and no public advocacy groups meaningfully influenced anything. Ownership's proposals were made in bad faith and were designed to be rejected so that Oklahoma City-based interests could move the team to Oklahoma City, following their rejected attempt to buy the Hornets, whose layover in OKC they had been subsidizing. It was all for show; the coffee idiot signed their death sentence the day he sold the team.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

https://ballparkdigest.com/2019/05/14/angels-long-beach-ballpark-project-could-top-1-billion/

A potential new ballpark project for the Los Angeles Angels in Long Beach could top $1.1 billion, according to city documents uncovered in local news reports. 

The long-term facility situation for the Angels is in flux. Last fall, the team opted out of its Angel Stadium lease, as the club had to decide by October 16 whether to opt out or otherwise wait until the end of the 2028 season for another opportunity. A lease extension with the City of Anaheim that covers 2020 was later secured, providing more time for ballpark plans to be considered.