NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

Unpopular opinion: I don't notice socks at all and when inconsistencies are pointed out, I shrug. Players have preferences; I think it's okay they expressed them differently.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MattMill said:

Since when did compression 'socks' totally replace regular textured socks? I bet they're just wearing full on compression pants and adding one small real sock layer. 

It's just ugly and looks unprofessional.

It may look "unprofessional" but back when I had outdoor gym in high school, white socks/compression tights under the gym uniform shorts were a godsend. Obviously a different situation but I can understand why the players would want to wear them.

Then again it is only September and the weather hasn't turned cold yet, so I don't really understand why they're wearing them in Week 1...

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Crazy, isn’t it?  What a terrible mistake.

I would have thought the Steelers had an untouchable uniform.  Then again, I thought the same about the Packers but in the 90s Nike managed to talk them both into making changes to their uniforms.

I know the Packers rejected the original 90s proposal, including a new helmet logo; wonder if Nike pitched a new logo to Pittsburgh as well?

I thought it was Green Bay’s GM wanting to change the uniform and Nike did what they were paid to do which is make the uniform as the GM wanted but once word got out the fans pressured the packers to not change so the didn’t, and instead the GM changed the stripes and added stripes on the collar to make his mark.

8 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

It may look "unprofessional" but back when I had outdoor gym in high school, white socks/compression tights under the gym uniform shorts were a godsend. Obviously a different situation but I can understand why the players would want to wear them.

Then again it is only September and the weather hasn't turned cold yet, so I don't really understand why they're wearing them in Week 1...

They are likely not wearing the cold gear versions of tights, so it’s thinner and more breathable than regular tights or even socks. The moisture wicking materials they are made of help too with the heat.

6 hours ago, dont care said:

I thought it was Green Bay’s GM wanting to change the uniform and Nike did what they were paid to do which is make the uniform as the GM wanted but once word got out the fans pressured the packers to not change so the didn’t, and instead the GM changed the stripes and added stripes on the collar to make his mark.

Nope.  The stripes on the collar were added in 1984, during Forrest Gregg's tenure as head coach.

1984-team.jpg

You are probably thinking of Ron Wolf's aborted uniform change from the fall of 1993.  Wolf was going to scrap the color scheme, drop the stripes, and put the Packers in hunter green and metallic gold.  Prototypes were created, and he walked right up to the precipice before deciding to keep Lombardi's classic uniform (with modifications).

1994proposed.gif

spacer.png

Wolf later said: 

"Everything was approved by the seven-member executive committee that operates the Packers. All I had to do was give the go-ahead.

"I repeatedly looked over drawings of the new Packers uniform, thinking I would soon be pulling the trigger on changes. But, after a little more thought, decided it just didn't fly. We needed to fix what was truly broken. What we really had to have was better people on the field."

The following year, the Packers signed with Nike, who was going to take over the uniforms starting with the 1997 season.  Nike came in with a series of proposals to "modernize" the uniforms, including a revised helmet logo.  But Wolf wasn't receptive to their offers, having just recently been down that road on his own.  So he turned down the changes, although he did agree to Nike's suggestion that they shrink the sleeve stripes from five to three, since most players were already chopping off the extra stripes when they customized their jerseys.

The change was probably for the best, but it was all Nike.  A compromise after their first ideas were rejected.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Pittsburgh's new number font was also Nike having to settle for minor tweaks.

Nope.  The stripes on the collar were added in 1984, during Forrest Gregg's tenure as head coach.

1984-team.jpg

You are probably thinking of Ron Wolf's aborted uniform change from the fall of 1993.  Wolf was going to scrap the color scheme, drop the stripes, and put the Packers in hunter green and metallic gold.  Prototypes were created, and he walked right up to the precipice before deciding to keep Lombardi's classic uniform (with modifications).

1994proposed.gif

Wolf later said: 

The following year, the Packers signed with Nike, who was going to take over the uniforms starting with the 1997 season.  Nike came in with a series of proposals to "modernize" the uniforms, including a revised helmet logo.  But Wolf wasn't receptive to their offers, having just recently been down that road on his own.  So he turned down the changes, although he did agree to Nike's suggestion that they shrink the sleeve stripes from five to three, since most players were already chopping off the extra stripes when they customized their jerseys.

The change was probably for the best, but it was all Nike.  A compromise after their first ideas were rejected.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Pittsburgh's new number font was also Nike having to settle for minor tweaks.

Unpopular Opinion: As much as I love the Packers, these aren’t terrible. If they got rid of the logos on the sleeves and moved the TV numbers there they’d be better. But I wouldn’t want to see them do this. Glad they kept the classic look.

"I repeatedly looked over drawings of the new Packers uniform, thinking I would soon be pulling the trigger on changes. But, after a little more thought, decided it just didn't fly. We needed to fix what was truly broken. What we really had to have was better people on the field."

God, I wish the Browns, Bucs, Titans, Jags and Jets had this mindset. 

XM4KeeA.png

New York Jets Debut New All-Black Uniforms on Monday Night Football

September 16, 2019 - 23:42 PM

In 1997, Will Smith taught us that the “good guys dress in black” before encouraging us to remember that, for surely that information would come in handy some day. For fans of the New York Jets, that day is today. […]

Read More...

Odell wearing purple accessories, Mardi gras colored gloves and cleats. 

And the Jets in black

Predictably ugly. 

Edit: he switched to white gear for the game. . Must be a pre game ritual sort of thing. 

Everything in your stadium and franchise legacy is green and you got on black for a prime time game? This feels like college football. 

15 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Odell wearing purple accessories, Mardi gras colored gloves and cleats. 

And the Jets in black

Predictably ugly. 

Edit: he switched to white gear for the game. . Must be a pre game ritual sort of thing. 

Everything in your stadium and franchise legacy is green and you got on black for a prime time game? This feels like college football. 

Yep, lsu’s colors

Hmmm. I'm having a change of heart on the Jets new helmets. They look great tonight. But now everything else looks dull. That forest green is all over the stadium, on team gear, and even on their own jerseys. The helmet looks like a Christmas ornament. I wonder how they plan to balance it out a bit. 

2 hours ago, MattMill said:

AND they just made a big show of reclaiming their original shade of green.  But in their highest-profile game to date they won’t wear it. Bush league. 

Adding this to my original post: I forgot that we have a photo of the prototype helmet, rescued from a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store in Green Bay.  (Can you imagine?)

spacer.png

The jersey was also shipped off to the thrift store.  It has never surfaced, having likely been sold to someone who didn’t know what it was and who wore it as a fashion jersey. 

2 hours ago, insert name said:

God, I wish the Browns, Bucs, Titans, Jags and Jets has this mindset. 

None of those teams are as well-run as the Packers. Even the "dark age" Packers were never as awful as those teams have been in recent years. The Packers could still pull off a winning campaign every now-and-then and beat their rivals.  

The teams you mentioned felt that a uniform change would bring about a much-needed rejuvenation, but they've been proven wrong. The Bucs continued to be terrible, the Titans are as nondescript as they've been since the Vince Young days, the Jags just moved from trend-to-trend starting in '09 (with little to celebrate), the Jets will still be the buttfumble (just no longer emulating the uniforms of their one shining moment - I like the Jets' new uniforms a lot), and the Browns utterly bottomed out after years of failure. 

2 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Adding this to my original post: I forgot that we have a photo of the prototype helmet, rescued from a St. Vincent’s charity shop in Green Bay.  (Can you imagine?)

spacer.png

Whew! Bullet dodged. It's a good thing the Packers, even at their worst, didn't go ahead with sacrificing their traditional aesthetic too much. Let me guess, the helmet was sitting next to a couple tapes of American Movie

4 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

None of those teams are as well-run as the Packers. Even the "dark age" Packers were never as awful as those teams have been in recent years. The Packers could still pull off a winning campaign every now-and-then and beat their rivals.  

More to the point, none of those other teams have the diehard fan base of the Packers.

Most teams need to win in order to sell stuff.  But Packer fans will keep their club near the top of the sales even when they’re not very good.  That gives the team a lot of leverage when Nike comes calling with ideas to give the merch numbers a temporary boost. 

Archived