Teams You Became A Fan of Based on Logo / Uniforms

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/23/2019 at 5:45 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Bills had an excellent helmet, the standing red Buffalo.  So I can see why you would have chosen that.  I was lucky that, when I first saw football, the Giants were still wearing their classic ny logo.  And then in 1975 they went to the logo that you can see in my sig:

logo-giants-1975.png

I liked that logo so much that that was the one that I drew all over my notebooks for years after the team dropped it in favour of the wordmark logo that you accurately describe as lame.

That Breakers' helmet did have a gorgeous design, and the team had wonderful colours.  As with the Buffalo Bills, I can understand your choice. 

While I really liked the Generals' colours, and while their logo was good from the purely aesthetic standpoint, I absolutely could not get with the military theme.  So I tried to consider the Philadelphia Stars as my team, as they, too, had a great colour scheme.  But the Generals had Herschel Walker, and then, in 1985, the great Doug Flutie; so I wound up rooting for them in spite of myself.  However, I could never wear their gear.  I had hats from various USFL teams, but not the Generals; and, seven years ago when I did my first century on a bike, I rewarded myself with the purchase of a fitted Stars hat.  And, on a trip to Philadelphia last year, I went into Franklin Field, and was pleased to be in the same place where the Stars defeated the Generals in the 1984 playoffis (after the Generals had handed the Stars their only two losses of the regular season).

The USFL ended when I was an infant, but had I been older, I would likely have chosen the Breakers (helmet) or Bulls or Maulers (both interesting color schemes). There were some pretty interesting looks in that league.

1997 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - I believe their rebranding and uniform was amazing and the best look in the NFL. Then it when downhill once Nike came into the league. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, nuordr said:

1997 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - I believe their rebranding and uniform was amazing and the best look in the NFL. Then it when downhill once Nike came into the league. 

spacer.png

The 1997 Buccaneers might just be the greatest rebrand in sports history. 

XM4KeeA.png

None of the teams I cheer for as a die hard I chose because of the uniform. I loved the Mets uniforms up until 1998 or so when too much black was force fed into it. I just sort of had to deal with it until 2012 or so when they finally listened to the fans and got rid of it. I liked the 80's and 90's Jets and actually initially did not like the switch back to the Namath era uniforms. Though they eventually grew on me and became the norm. Devils uniforms I've always liked but the recent elimination of the bottom striping was a downgrade

Growing up I loved the Bengals and Falcons uniforms but I never really supported those teams in any way because of it.

My second teams based on logos:

Seattle Supersonics - NBA (The 90's Logo)

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim - NHL (Original Logo)

Columbus Crew - MLS (Original Logo)

Denver Broncos - NFL (Current Logo)

Related image

lke77tj6u9kssabarlqg.jpg

Related image

Related image

Now, being from Miami I will always be a fan of the Heat, Marlins (they do need to get better management), Dolphins, and Panthers (I think their original logo is by far, the best feline logo for any and all sports!!!) (As for soccer, I followed ManU first because of my older brother)

For my second teams, it was either because I liked the logo and the teams were good when they were introduced/rebranded at the time (Ducks & Sonics); I liked the logo but didn't care for the colors and the team was cool (Broncos); or the team had a weird logo but in hindsight, was at least original enough to keep my attention (Crew; also while I prefer the improved logo I still witnessed the Crew win the MLS cup with the original logo.)

I'll also admit that I'm a 90's kid as well...

spacer.png

When I was younger, I thought this logo was super cool for whatever reason. I rooted secondly for the Seahawks for a while. I don't anymore, but at the same time I don't hold nearly as much disdain for them as a majority of people. 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:08 AM, nuordr said:

spacer.png

The Bills used to fly a flag for each NFL team around the bowl of the 300 level that you could see from outside the stadium. The 90’s were such a different world that I learned about the Bucs uni change only when I saw their new logo up in the flags... I was so happy for Tampa fans.

Archived