21 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Danny Mills trying to say that the Super Cup is on the same level as the Community Shield, and that he’s “not sure” if what Klopp has accomplished puts him next to Liverpool’s best ever managers. 

Liverpool fans are given to hyperbole (see: calling Naby Keita a “generational talent”), but if you’re still trying to claim what Klopp’s done at Liverpool is somehow not impressive you’ve clearly not watched Liverpool over the last few years. 

I'd agree with him on that part, but the idea that Klopp hasn't improved Liverpool is just dumb. Then again it is Danny Mills we're talking about. 

On 10/7/2019 at 10:35 AM, DScruggy729 said:

Solksjaer doesn’t look long for this world. First match after the break is Liverpool as well. 

Marco Silva still might beat him to the sack though. Everton are terrible, selling Idrissa Gueye has (predictably) killed their midfield. 

Of they show Ole the door, Woodward needs to go too. He's been very good at making the team money by finding deals for everything from official airlines to official noodles of Manchester United but he can't do anything useful when it comes to closing deals on players that would enhance the team. At this point I hope Zlatan really does want to come back and play up top because as crap as Lukaku could be, he still had to be accounted for when teams defended corners. I think getting rid of him only happens if someone is ready to walk right in as permanent manager. And it better not be Giggs. He's a United legend, but you need someone that the players will need to impress. All Giggsy would do is make fans happy about the Class of 92:

giphy.gif

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be shocked if Pochettino makes it to the next international break. Spurs are basically a meme club right now.

Edit: At least they got a point?

I'd have hated to be in the stadium when the VAR screen went from Goal, to No Goal, and back to Goal again within about 5 seconds

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50152024

El Clasico's new date ticks off the league, even thought the two teams involved asked for that specific date. 

https://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2019/10/23/5dae7335ca4741971c8b4600.html

It also is annoying the two teams that will play them the following week. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

27 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Pulisic is having himself a day again Burnsley -- three goals so far in the 55th minute.

He's taking out his anger at two-G Gregg.

Bertie Bee may have to take matters into his own hands again.

LINK

I don't want to like Chelsea, but dammit Lampard has them playing a very entertaining style I have to watch. 

BTW, Kurt Zouma is 24. 

Is he our youngest/last Black Kurt?

Today was the breaking point for me with VAR.  And not for the reason you'd think.

I was watching the highlights from today's game (which conveniently left out Firmino's no-goal), and when Trezeguet scored for Villa, I finally understood what everyone meant when they said VAR was ruining the flow and atmosphere of the game.  Previously, I had just kind of assumed that was coming from people who were opposed to change of any kind. But seeing Trezeguet score, to put a newly promoted side 1-0 up against the unbeaten league leaders, at home no less, and then hearing the crowd (after the immediate roars of course) immediately chanting "oh, VAR!" was when it finally clicked for me.  That is a magical moment, one that was ruined for everyone because they had to go to VAR to check for offside, which Martin Atkinson did with a painstaking, OCD-level of scrutiny.  I was a huge advocate for VAR, because I thought it could only help the game.  I still feel it is an overall positive thing, because it means the officials are under more scrutiny and they actually have the guts to admit when they're wrong (looking at you, NFL refs).  But it's being used all wrong.

The Premier League is treating VAR like the NFL is treating the "automatic booth review after a TD" rule.  That is absolutely, 100%, the worst way to use it and is why everyone hates it right now.  The basic principle of VAR is that it is supposed to prevent refs from making "clear and obvious errors."  If there is a chance that that has been done, then you go to VAR and check.  It is absolutely not supposed to review every goal in case the officials missed something, yet it feels like that's what is happening with it.  I haven't fleshed this idea out at all, but I feel like even turning VAR into, essentially, a challenge flag would be better than its current use.  Just don't use it at all, unless one of the managers explicitly asks for it to be used.

And, for the record, I loathe these VAR overturns because a player was a fraction offside.  Is it technically making the right call on the field?  Yes.  But again, that's not the point.  Missing a player that was a fraction offsides is not a clear and obvious error, because the fact that you've had to make a computer tell you you were wrong in and of itself dismisses the idea that it was clear and obvious.  VAR should be used to disallow a goal because the goal scorer handled the ball when he was taking it down, and it was something that the ref for some reason didn't see but upon replay it was obvious.  It should not be used to disallow a goal because a player's armpit was offside. /rant

spacer.png

I tried not to talk about Firmino’s no-goal yesterday because 1) I though the point would be stronger if i could make it without any appearances of Liverpool bias, and 2) I didn’t actually watch the game, just the highlights. But I’ve seen this now on Twitter and I couldn’t not share it. This is getting out of hand, not just VAR in general but also Martin Atkinson vs. Liverpool. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/beINSPORTS/status/1190718797340000256 

spacer.png

20 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Today was the breaking point for me with VAR.  And not for the reason you'd think.

I was watching the highlights from today's game (which conveniently left out Firmino's no-goal), and when Trezeguet scored for Villa, I finally understood what everyone meant when they said VAR was ruining the flow and atmosphere of the game.  Previously, I had just kind of assumed that was coming from people who were opposed to change of any kind. But seeing Trezeguet score, to put a newly promoted side 1-0 up against the unbeaten league leaders, at home no less, and then hearing the crowd (after the immediate roars of course) immediately chanting "oh, VAR!" was when it finally clicked for me.  That is a magical moment, one that was ruined for everyone because they had to go to VAR to check for offside, which Martin Atkinson did with a painstaking, OCD-level of scrutiny.  I was a huge advocate for VAR, because I thought it could only help the game.  I still feel it is an overall positive thing, because it means the officials are under more scrutiny and they actually have the guts to admit when they're wrong (looking at you, NFL refs).  But it's being used all wrong.

The Premier League is treating VAR like the NFL is treating the "automatic booth review after a TD" rule.  That is absolutely, 100%, the worst way to use it and is why everyone hates it right now.  The basic principle of VAR is that it is supposed to prevent refs from making "clear and obvious errors."  If there is a chance that that has been done, then you go to VAR and check.  It is absolutely not supposed to review every goal in case the officials missed something, yet it feels like that's what is happening with it.  I haven't fleshed this idea out at all, but I feel like even turning VAR into, essentially, a challenge flag would be better than its current use.  Just don't use it at all, unless one of the managers explicitly asks for it to be used.

And, for the record, I loathe these VAR overturns because a player was a fraction offside.  Is it technically making the right call on the field?  Yes.  But again, that's not the point.  Missing a player that was a fraction offsides is not a clear and obvious error, because the fact that you've had to make a computer tell you you were wrong in and of itself dismisses the idea that it was clear and obvious.  VAR should be used to disallow a goal because the goal scorer handled the ball when he was taking it down, and it was something that the ref for some reason didn't see but upon replay it was obvious.  It should not be used to disallow a goal because a player's armpit was offside. /rant

This.

To make it shorter: If you can't get the call right within 15 seconds, then keep the call on the field.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Niko Kovac out at Bayern. 

Odd move, unless they can get Allegri (I can’t see Bayern going for Mourinho) considering they have so much of the season left. 

After watching yesterday’s game, it really dawned on me how inconsistent handballs are called now with VAR. Handball should only be called when the player deliberately hits the ball with the arm. When a player has his arms at his side it’s extremely hard to react and adjust to balls that are curling and zooming right at them, such as the case with Veltman yesterday or Sissoko in the UCL final last year. It’s ridiculous to have big games decided just because the ball hit someone’s arm when they had zero time to react. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Archived