• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DScruggy729 said:

And Mourinho steps in. Honestly think it’s a perfect fit. 

What are the odds for Poch going to Bayern? 

Will Bayern think he can lead the team over the next 3 years or would they bring him in as a stop gap until they get a bigger fish? As for Mourinho, it just doesn't seem to be a good fit to me. Tottenham are not known for their defensive prowess and that's Jose's biggest selling point. You'll probably get an uptick in older players willing to take less to play there, but will they be any better than what's already there? I'd compare him coming in to Andre Rison joining the Browns in 1994. It's a big name that moves the needle on the gossip channels but does it actually improve the team? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Will Bayern think he can lead the team over the next 3 years or would they bring him in as a stop gap until they get a bigger fish? As for Mourinho, it just doesn't seem to be a good fit to me. Tottenham are not known for their defensive prowess and that's Jose's biggest selling point. You'll probably get an uptick in older players willing to take less to play there, but will they be any better than what's already there? I'd compare him coming in to Andre Rison joining the Browns in 1994. It's a big name that moves the needle on the gossip channels but does it actually improve the team? 

I think that's the point. If Mourinho can park the bus and get results with Smalling & Jones at the back he shouldn't have much of a problem at Spurs. Mourinho's achieved the most at clubs where he didn't face significant backlash for his "negative" tactics, which I don't think will be as big of a problem at Spurs as it was at United. Spurs needed to shake things up, a lot of their core guys from 3-4 years ago are still there and they had a manager who had been there a long time and was underachieving. Mourinho is a pretty big detour but the dude has quite the trophy cabinet which was ultimately Pochettino's downfall. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

4 minutes ago, Digby said:

Short of Spurs gutting the roster in January, I don't see how Mourinho will be able to do his thing with these players. Really weird hire except that he's the biggest available name.

Max Allegri is still available, but I think he's more interested in Manchester United. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Unai Emery is now out at Arsenal. Freddie Ljunberg is the caretaker for now. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50532493

Ljungberg joins Frank Lampard and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer as recently active players who have now become Premier League managers.  Also, outside the Premier League, there is Gary Neville, who tried management and failed.  This, of course, brings us to Phil Neville, who is currently the manager of the England women.  And, speaking of England, there is Gareth Southgate, the men's team's manager, and Ryan Giggs with Wales (and briefly with United).  Also, Thierry Henry has just been named manager of the Montreal Impact.  And let's not forget Zidane at Real Madrid; his World Cup headbutt seems so recent.

I haven't been following football for long; I came to the sport as an adult.  Yet I have vivid memories of all of these managers as players; and it is shocking how many players from my era, which feels like it should be recent, are now managers.  

(The TL;DR version — This just in: time passes.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Club World Cup starts today:

1) Al-Sadd v Hienghene Sport (11 December, 17:30 GMT, BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport online)

2) Monterrey v winner of match one (14 December, 17:30 GMT, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport online and Red Button)

3) Al-Hilal v Esperance de Tunis (14 December, 14:00 GMT, BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport online)

4) Fifth-place play-off: Loser of match two v Loser of match three (17 December, 14:30 GMT, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport online and Red Button)

Semi-final: Flamengo v winner of match three (17 December, 17:30 GMT, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport online and Red Button)

Semi-final: Liverpool v winner of match two (18 December, 17:30 GMT, BBC Two and BBC iPlayer)

Third-place play-off: (21 December, TBC depending on whether Liverpool win)

Final: (21 December, TBC depending on whether Liverpool win)

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

37 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Even after getting Napoli to the Champions League Round of 16, Ancelotti was sacked last night.

Arsenal bound?

I'd hope not. Does he really want to deal with English football after how he got treated at Chelsea? He may be better off sitting out a while. He's got enough wasta in world football to pick his next job at his leisure.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

This is why we can't have nice things. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50820915

Serie A: We need to tell people racism is bad.

Also Serie A: We'll say everyone of us are monkeys! That way the monkey chants will show we're all tolerant!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50814275

Artist Simone Fugazzotto, defended his creation, saying "we are all monkeys".

Fugazzotto, who always uses monkeys in his work, added: "For an artist there is nothing more important than trying to change the perception of things through his own work. "I decided to portray monkeys to talk about racism because they are the metaphor for human beings. Last year I was at the stadium to see Inter v Napoli [a match in which Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly was racially abused] and I felt humiliated, everyone was shouting 'monkey' at Koulibaly, a player I respect."I've always been painting monkeys for five to six years, so I thought I'd make this work to teach that we're all apes, I made the western monkey with blue and white eyes, the Asian monkey with almond-shaped eyes and the black monkey positioned in the centre, where everything comes from. The monkey becomes the spark to teach everyone that there is no difference, there is no man or monkey, we are all alike. If anything we are all monkeys."

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived