2019-2020 NHL Thread

Gary

7 hours ago, rainmaker17 said:

Then you clearly didn't watch it.  It was entertaining as hell. 

It was the best outdoor game in a long time and the scene was the best since Michigan Stadium in 2014. Helped that it featured two new teams and we didn't have to see Blackhawks and Penguins fans complain about having to go to another outdoor game again. Reusing the same teams over and over is what's gotten stale, not the outdoor game itself, though the Stadium Series and Heritage Classic are working towards killing the novelty. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On January 2, 2020 at 5:35 PM, AstroBull21 said:

So being totally honest, what cities/venues could realistically host an outdoor game that haven't yet.

- Comerica Park in Detroit

- The Shoe in Columbus

- Nissan Stadium in Nashville

- Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh (leaked photos show a rink outline in cones a few weeks ago)

What non-NHL cities could host?  

- Bristol Motor Speedway?

- Progressive Field in Cleveland?

- Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

- Beaver Stadium (Penn State)?

- West Point?

- Rutgers?

- Yale Bowl?

- Harvard Stadium

I would love to see Flyers-Penguins at Penn State and I'm really surprised that it hasn't happened yet...

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

I would love to see Flyers-Penguins at Penn State and I'm really surprised that it hasn't happened yet...

I believe one of the PHI-PIT Stadium Series was supposed to be in State College but there were concerns with plumbing at Beaver Stadium handling an event in the winter.

8 straight losses...again for the Habs.

For here till April, let it continue cause it's great for the Lafrenière sweepstakes. But after this season, like Owen Hart used to say: "Enough is Enough. It's Time for a Change!"

3 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I was watching this shootout on TV as it happened and I really couldn't believe it. I fully expected to see Marchand get another try at it.

And had he not moved the puck forward (barely), he would've.

LvZYtbZ.png

In 2016, when Subban was traded, Bergevin said that he wasn't looking to trade PK.

Recently, it's been reported that Bergevin stated that he's not looking to trade Price or Weber.

Nice try getting my hopes up that Price will finally be traded away. It ain't happening.

---

Weber is not bad. But getting rid of that massive contract would be a bit of a relief.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:09 PM, habsfan1 said:

This happened to one of my teammates in a high school game who was actually a pretty good player. He looked like he was gonna puke from embarrassment. I never thought I'd see it in the NHL. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 1/2/2020 at 4:35 PM, AstroBull21 said:

So being totally honest, what cities/venues could realistically host an outdoor game that haven't yet.

- Comerica Park in Detroit

- The Shoe in Columbus

- Nissan Stadium in Nashville

- Carter-Finley Stadium in Raleigh (leaked photos show a rink outline in cones a few weeks ago)

What non-NHL cities could host?  

- Bristol Motor Speedway?

- Progressive Field in Cleveland?

- Indianapolis Motor Speedway?

- Beaver Stadium (Penn State)?

- West Point?

- Rutgers?

- Yale Bowl?

- Harvard Stadium

NHL markets:

• Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit: As the only three US NHL markets close to Great Lakes, that raises the idea (admittedly a logistical challenge) of staging outdoor games on said lakes.
  • Columbus: As mentioned elsewhere, the new Crew stadium would be too small for the Winter Classic but I could see it hosting a Stadium Series game somewhere down the line. (Ditto any number of dedicated MLS stadiums in NHL markets.)
  • Dallas: You just know the league would love to stage a Stars Stadium Series game at JerryWorld one of these years. (May or may not actually be outdoors, depending on whether they see fit to leave the roof open.)
  • New York: Belmont Park. If iconic auto racetracks can be considered viable venues, so can iconic horse racing tracks, at least in the northern half of the US where horse racing is typically out of season during the Winter Classic/Stadium Series window. Horse tracks might even work better, provided the tracks themselves are wide enough to accommodate a rink, as the rink could then be built right up against the grandstand. (That would be a problem on many auto racing tracks, which are often banked and not wide enough to hold a rink.)
  • San Jose: Stanford Stadium, Oracle Park, or even a new A's ballpark in Oakland (presuming it gets built).

Non-NHL markets:

• Green Bay: Lambeau Field. It's hosted at least one outdoor college game before, but would have the same WC availability issues as other NFL stadiums, so again Stadium Series would be the likeliest route. (Interestingly, several years ago there was some speculation on the Wild "hosting" a WC at Lambeau against the Blues; that is now the most likely matchup for the actual WC at Target Field next season.)
  • Elsewhere in Wisconsin, UW-Madison's Camp Randall Stadium and Milwaukee's Miller Park (though in both cases it'd probably have to involve the Blackhawks yet again). Given UW's storied hockey history and the numerous players they've sent to the NHL over the years, Camp Randall in particular would certainly have appeal for the league.
  • Louisville: Churchill Downs. (See Belmont Park above. Would likely be Preds vs. one of Blackhawks, Blues, Blue Jackets or Red Wings.)
  • Portland, OR: Providence Park, for the Stadium Series at least. (See Columbus above. Seattle's a shoo-in for a Portland game.)
  • Salt Lake City: Rice-Eccles Stadium could host the WC, and/or the Rio Tinto in nearby Sandy could host the Stadium Series. (Either one would probably involve two of the Avs, Coyotes and Golden Knights.)

CCSLC signature.png

The Blue Jackets are in a playoff spot with a clutch regulation win over Arch Rival Carolina. Foligno scored with 1:41 left. Elvis Merzlikens is a phenomenon. Getting some 2016-2017 vibes out of these guys. I love this team. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived