2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

6 hours ago, truepg said:

I know that. And it was hyped to an extent, at least the JR signing, and for a good reason. Both can play.

They can’t though, and it was evident in the games before the playoffs that JR can’t shoot anymore, and Waiters never could, so why use them in the playoffs other than as bench guys.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dont care said:

They can’t though, and it was evident in the games before the playoffs that JR can’t shoot anymore, and Waiters never could, so why use them in the playoffs other than as bench guys.

I saw them both playing well in some of those games, especially Waiters, and JR put up a three-point show too. And Waiters shoots decently too, so please, stop. Why sign them if you won't play them anyway? Always had me wondering.

Lineups get shorter in the playoffs, so it's not like any Rondo or Bradley replacements would get much time anyway. The Lakers core is James, Davis, Kuzma, Caruso, Green, KCP, Howard and McGee. That's 8 guys. Cook, JR, Waiters and to a lesser extent Dudley are all competing for limited minutes anyway. Also, is their Morris twin on the bubble roster? I don't think I've seen or heard from him.

Waiters and JR are fine additions to a LeBron team because they can shoot and the best way to play with LeBron is to be able to shoot. Waiters, unlike a lot of the Lakers, can also create his own shot and I totally expect that he'll have a moment here or there in these playoffs. He's too good not to.

But also, I wouldn't ever have expected either JR or Waiters to play more than 6 minutes a game. They're just not needed for more than that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, truepg said:

I saw them both playing well in some of those games, especially Waiters, and JR put up a three-point show too. And Waiters shoots decently too, so please, stop. Why sign them if you won't play them anyway? Always had me wondering.

You stop, you just have rose colored glasses from 5 years ago thinking they are the same players when they aren’t.

3 hours ago, dont care said:

You stop, you just have rose colored glasses from 5 years ago thinking they are the same players when they aren’t.

Lol, I pointed out to what just took place, and you obviously haven't paid attention, neither these past five years. JR played on the Cavs up until this season. When was Waiters on a level to look back to? He just is what he is, which is a pretty productive player that would give the Lakers a little boost that they're missing. He's not old either to not be something he was sometime ago. Nothing to go on about.

19 minutes ago, truepg said:

Lol, I pointed out to what just took place, and you obviously haven't paid attention, neither these past five years. JR played on the Cavs up until this season. When was Waiters on a level to look back to? He just is what he is, which is a pretty productive player that would give the Lakers a little boost that they're missing. He's not old either to not be something he was sometime ago. Nothing to go on about.

JR shot 9% from 3 in the games before the playoffs, now tell me why you would give him significant time during playoff games that actually matter. Only reason he got a lot of playing time the other night was because the game was won before halftime and they sat most of their starters for the majority of it. Waiters has never been a good player and a bust for the majority of his career and doesn’t deserve playoff minutes either.

28 minutes ago, dont care said:

JR shot 9% from 3 in the games before the playoffs, now tell me why you would give him significant time during playoff games that actually matter. Only reason he got a lot of playing time the other night was because the game was won before halftime and they sat most of their starters for the majority of it. Waiters has never been a good player and a bust for the majority of his career and doesn’t deserve playoff minutes either.

Because two of their key rotation parts were lost to injuries and some of their other role players are not very good and have nothing on these two guys in question, and the Lakers were losing to the eighth seed. Waiters never was a bust in the first place because he was a massive reach when the Cavs drafted him with the fourth pick, but still he can play, though, and has shown that throughout his career to this day. JR hadn't played since the start of the season and still made 6 out of 7 threes in the resumption game against the Wizards.

48 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

LeBron and AD were phenomenal tonight. 

I wasn't able to watch the game, but based on the box score, it looked like one of those games LeBron wasn't going to lose. Sometimes he really just does it all.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Am I the only one thatsh incredibly annoyed every time I hear Dorish Burk announsh a game?  I'm not sure why, but her shpeach "quirk" ish like nailsh on a chalkboard to me.  Ish thish an unpopular opinion?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Am I the only one thatsh incredibly annoyed every time I hear Dorish Burk announsh a game?  I'm not sure why, but her shpeach "quirk" ish like nailsh on a chalkboard to me.  Ish thish an unpopular opinion?

I've noticed it before, but it sounds like she's talking with a cough drop in her mouth. That said, I could name a hundred other people I'd rather not hear announce a basketball game. I think Doris is great.

Then again the Grizzlies technically didn't even make the playoffs, so I never reached the "My team is playing poorly and about to get swept, so now I don't like the announcers" part of the season.

2 minutes ago, floydnimrod said:

I never reached the "My team is playing poorly and about to get swept, so now I don't like the announcers" part of the season.

I've watched 20 minutes of basketball this post season - I always hope the Sixers win because it's fun when local teams are good, but I don't really watch basketball and they're not 'my team'.  Same with the Flyers, though at least when I was a kid, I was huge into hockey and knew every player and was in tune with everything going on in the league up until late '90s.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

51 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

She’s pretty well liked, regarded as one of the smartest and most clever and incisive analysts in the game without being self-aggrandizing. Sorry you’re so bothered by her voice.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 minute ago, Digby said:

She’s pretty well liked, regarded as one of the smartest and most clever and incisive analysts in the game without being self-aggrandizing. Sorry you’re so bothered by her voice.

I'm not debating her intelligence or insightfulness, but she sounds like she's eating dinner while announcing.  Sorry that I think an announcer should be able to speak in a non-distracting way.

34 minutes ago, floydnimrod said:

I've noticed it before, but it sounds like she's talking with a cough drop in her mouth. That said, I could name a hundred other people I'd rather not hear announce a basketball game. I think Doris is great.

Then again the Grizzlies technically didn't even make the playoffs, so I never reached the "My team is playing poorly and about to get swept, so now I don't like the announcers" part of the season.

I guess I’m in the “my team is playing well and about to get a sweep, so now I don’t like the announcers voice” part of the season

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm not debating her intelligence or insightfulness, but she sounds like she's eating dinner while announcing.  Sorry that I think an announcer should be able to speak in a non-distracting way.

Her voice is distinctive but I can't say it's ever bothered me. She's pretty well liked among NBA people that I follow. I know that Generic Broadcaster Non-Accent is a thing but if you're enforcing that, especially for the analysts and not just the play-by-play, you're gonna eliminate a lot of good announcers.

Maybe I'm just used to hearing her voice. Maybe it's because I've had Mike Gorman from Dorchester and Tommy Heinsohn from Jersey City as my local announcers for my entire life. Maybe this is a case of unconscious bias since women in broadcast are criticized about their voices much more than men are, and that's probably made worse when you're the only woman on ESPN's NBA roster.

16 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I wasn't able to watch the game, but based on the box score, it looked like one of those games LeBron wasn't going to lose. Sometimes he really just does it all.

It’s almost like LeBron was reminding everyone that he’s still the best player in the world. Still have to pinch myself that he is a Laker. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

The way Doris politely but firmly demolished the entire Sixers organization during the interminable final moments of that game was broadcast excellence. And she's completely right! That series was a slog (nice for me as a Celtics fan), it was watching a team that's not dealing with injury luck or that even good teams lose, it was something rotten from the very top. 

Archived