2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Hornets moved up for the first time since '92! I don't even care that it's not #1, this is a three-player draft and I'd be fine with any of the three. Although, with Devonte' we really don't need LaMelo, I'd rather we trade that pick (and maybe Rozier) for something else. My hope is Wiseman, but I doubt the Dubs pass on him if the Wolves don't take him. 

Quick aside, did you know that LaVar Ball spent a bit on the '95 Panthers practice squad? I never knew he played football, much less had ever been to Charlotte before.

the user formerly known as cdclt

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

True. Plus LeBron has a tendency to drop the first game of series just because. I didn't expect LA to wallop Portland by 30 tonight though. Nice bonus is AD and LeBron had limited minutes too.

They're probably tired from carrying this team through the bubble. So that's good. But there is a chemistry issue at work; during the regular season all of the Lakers' most used and most successful lineups had Bradley and/or Rondo on the floor. (The dream of the 2012 Celtics lives.) I'm not worried about the likes of AD and LBJ figuring things out, but there is something to be said for having 82 (or 71) games of practice behind you versus... not.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

36 minutes ago, Digby said:

They're probably tired from carrying this team through the bubble. So that's good. But there is a chemistry issue at work; during the regular season all of the Lakers' most used and most successful lineups had Bradley and/or Rondo on the floor. (The dream of the 2012 Celtics lives.) I'm not worried about the likes of AD and LBJ figuring things out, but there is something to be said for having 82 (or 71) games of practice behind you versus... not.

I just never understood signing some loud free agent names with all the buzz and then not playing them at all when it matters. Waiters and JR would both be of more benefit on the floor than KCP, for example.

EDIT: I see after the first loss they did get some burn in the second game.

12 hours ago, Dynasty said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Golden State shopped that 2nd pick for a star player from a lesser team.

Speaking of Golden State, if this had been a normal season, would Klay Thompson have been back in April?

11 hours ago, truepg said:

I just never understood signing some loud free agent names with all the buzz and then not playing them at all when it matters. Waiters and JR would both be of more benefit on the floor than KCP, for example.

EDIT: I see after the first loss they did get some burn in the second game.

You realize they were 2 people that nobody else wanted and only signed because Bradley opted out and rondo got hurt right? They didn’t have buzz other than “yea JR use to be good 5 years ago and waiters had wasted potential”

42 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Brett Brown is a dead man walking. He is about to get run out of Philadelphia.

Probably true but — aside from his nightmare taste in untucked dress shirts — he’s being scapegoated. We are now going on literal years of evidence that “take the best player on the board” is a nonsensical strategy. Embiid and Simmons have never been complementary... Harris got signed at the wrong time and left out to dry... Horford got signed at the wrong time and was never the right fit for how this team plays. 

The kicker is that both Hinkie and his successors have fell into the same issue, which is assembling a real world team like you’re playing one of those managerial video games. Yes, some of that falls on Brett Brown for failing to form a coherent team strategy. But also, when has this roster ever made sense?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, Digby said:

Probably true but — aside from his nightmare taste in untucked dress shirts — he’s being scapegoated. We are now going on literal years of evidence that “take the best player on the board” is a nonsensical strategy. Embiid and Simmons have never been complementary... Harris got signed at the wrong time and left out to dry... Horford got signed at the wrong time and was never the right fit for how this team plays. 

The kicker is that both Hinkie and his successors have fell into the same issue, which is assembling a real world team like you’re playing one of those managerial video games. Yes, some of that falls on Brett Brown for failing to form a coherent team strategy. But also, when has this roster ever made sense?

Brand did a far better job of managing the roster than Hinkie. Jimmy Butler was risky but worth it and that team was super close against the Raptors last year. Had he stayed, they would have been a favorite in the east. But I don't blame him for not wanting to play babysitter either.

They'll be paying for the sins of Hinkie for years. Damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario with Embiid and Simmons for years until they finally Shaq and Penny one of the two.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 hours ago, dont care said:

You realize they were 2 people that nobody else wanted and only signed because Bradley opted out and rondo got hurt right? They didn’t have buzz other than “yea JR use to be good 5 years ago and waiters had wasted potential”

I know that. And it was hyped to an extent, at least the JR signing, and for a good reason. Both can play.

9 hours ago, Digby said:

This exactly. It never made sense the way the team was and is assembled, none of the parts fit. And when they drafted two guys they really needed to succeed in Landry Shamet and Mikal Bridges, they traded them away on the first chance they got. The whole roster and management should be blown apart and built with pieces around Embiid OR Simmons, but I'm very skeptical about the latter, wouldn't want a backcourt player who doesn't shoot anywhere near my team.

Archived