MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

I guess it'd be a shame if they tore it down and never wound up putting the ballpark there. Real shame, yeah. But Vegas tears down its past all the time, and if the A's thing doesn't work out, they can slap up something else. Maybe to go with The Sphere they'll make The Cone.

• LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

DRaysBay.com: Rays release new St. Petersburg stadium renderings

The Rays are treating the public to plenty of images — and even a video — of how their proposed ballpark and accompanying development might look.

On one hand, I think that the Rays are making a cowardly, lazy, and shortsighted decision by staying in St. Petersburg for their desired new ballpark.  On the other hand, if any option on the Tampa side of the bay is genuinely unrealistic, then those renderings suggest that the Rays are making the best of a bad situation.

• Like 1

That's a whole lot of edifice for not a whole lot of people. You really see it in the center field view:

Populous_TampaBayRaysStadium_View04_Outf

I know it's the Rays and lol attendance but I see so much wall where I expect seats to be. Maybe it's an optical illusion from the roof support beams splitting the grandstand into little micro-pavilions but this just looks like a really big and expensive undertaking for 30,000 seats.

many people have been posting here for years that the problem is the location.  Is it fair to say that once the new-car smell wears off, they'll be right in the same boat they're currently in?  If so, seems like an incredible waste of money and they should still simply move the team to... literally anywhere.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

Baseball should be played outside, roofs and fake grass never age well and are bad for the game.

As much of a traditionalist as I am, when you have to sit out in 100+ degree temperatures or tropical rainstorms like in Arizona, Texas and Florida, it's a necessary sacrifice.

• Like 7

Still don't know why they couldn't find somewhere more inland. I don't know what was more of an injustice for fans, the out-of-reach location or the shoddy ballpark, but the Rays are clearly letting one of those problems remain.

• Applause 3

I saw everyone flipping out about this, but it's probably nothing more than a protection to play in events in London, Mexico, etc..  It probably wouldn't happen annually, but its a provision to allow for it.  Wouldn't surprise me if more teams had this built into lease agreements.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

I saw everyone flipping out about this, but it's probably nothing more than a protection to play in events in London, Mexico, etc..  It probably wouldn't happen annually, but its a provision to allow for it.  Wouldn't surprise me if more teams had this built into lease agreements.

Yeah, this seems like much ado about nothing other than wanting to make sure they're in on some of the future international games to expand their brand.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 12:11 AM, The_Admiral said:

That's a whole lot of edifice for not a whole lot of people. You really see it in the center field view:

Populous_TampaBayRaysStadium_View04_Outf

I know it's the Rays and lol attendance but I see so much wall where I expect seats to be. Maybe it's an optical illusion from the roof support beams splitting the grandstand into little micro-pavilions but this just looks like a really big and expensive undertaking for 30,000 seats.

This rendering makes it look like they're going to retrofit a convention center to host baseball. They're hosting the Yankees one week, and the National Association of Suburban Dentristy the next. It has no character. This could be a convention center in Peoria. 

• Like 1

It seems like they're pushing it as a concert venue which can also hold other events (LIKE FINAL FOURS AND WRESTLEMANIAS!!), and additionally squeeze in 81 Rays games in per year. Probably not the worst idea, but we're going to have to start creating more Final Fours to accommodate all the amazing stadiums that get built for them.

• LOL 1

28 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This rendering makes it look like they're going to retrofit a convention center to host baseball. They're hosting the Yankees one week, and the National Association of Suburban Dentristy the next. It has no character. This could be a convention center in Peoria. 

"Pavilion style" is the buzzword they've been using since the unveiling.