MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

1 hour ago, marlinfan said:

Adding Palm Beach's population to Broward's is unrealistic because no one in their right mind will consistently drive 20 miles down to downtown Fort Lauderdale.

I-95 between Jupiter and West Palm is the longest ten-mile drive in the world. I don't get it. It's not that the traffic is always unbearable (but southbound at rush hour sure is), there's just some space-time distortion that makes going to Jupiter feel like going to the planet Jupiter.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

I-95 between Jupiter and West Palm is the longest ten-mile drive in the world. I don't get it. It's not that the traffic is always unbearable (but southbound at rush hour sure is), there's just some space-time distortion that makes going to Jupiter feel like going to the planet Jupiter.

Yeah being from Tampa, and only ever going to Miami proper twice....half the drive is going from Tampa to Palm Beach county and the other half is the rest of the drive to Miami.

21 hours ago, bleuet said:

Tryin to imagine Gary Bettman's face if a MLB team would go Vegas!

Can you spell "nightmare"?

Baseball? Hell, the Raiders moving into town will be enough to make the Golden Knights an afterthought. 

Especially if the Knights can't even get on tv in their home market :upside: 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Wait, what?  Did I miss something?

So the Golden Knights decided that they were going to be the "team of the Rockies" (even though there's a team in Denver). 

Anyway as such they decided to forgo Fox Sports West as their local affiliate. Instead they teamed up with Root Sports, who will broadcast their games to Utah, Western Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana. 

Problem here (aside from those markets being closer- geographically and culturally- to Denver, the Twin Cities, and Winnipeg than to Vegas) is that Root Sports isn't actually carried by Cox Cable or CenturyLink. Both of whom together represent 70% of Las Vegas' viewership. 

So the Golden Knights signed a tv deal with a regional sports network that airs games in markets that likely already have loyalties to other teams, while not actually being available in their home market. 

It's perhaps the most OITGDNHL thing to ever happen. 

EDIT- Also what @Magic Dynasty said :P

• Like 4

On 8/26/2017 at 9:42 AM, Gothamite said:

Wait, what?  Did I miss something?

Yeah, apparently putting your games on a Denver/Utah RSN makes it hard to get picked up in Las Vegas. Cox won't pay what AT&T wants for an RSN that will have two of its three teams blacked out.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, apparently putting your games on a Denver/Utah RSN makes it hard to get picked up in Las Vegas. Cox won't pay what AT&T wants for an RSN that will have two of its three teams blacked out.

Maybe Salt Lake finds itself as #5 in the 5-city relocation sweepstakes of 2025, but given the history of this league, we all know Honolulu gets the team.

• Like 2

No chance, although if it does I will be more than a little annoyed with Rays fans everywhere. If fans from Texas show up and the local Rays fans don't, then they might as well book the team's own ticket to Montreal/Las Vegas/Omaha/Mexico City/whatever.

ExJworW.png

The tickets are dirt cheap. So, I remember a Chargers game moving to Tempe getting a huge crowd when it was basically 'bring something to donate' to get in free. I forget Minnesota's game in Detroit, but remember it being something similar and had a huge crowd.

True baseball fans might not be able to pass up $10 lower bowl seats.

9 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

The tickets are dirt cheap. So, I remember a Chargers game moving to Tempe getting a huge crowd when it was basically 'bring something to donate' to get in free. I forget Minnesota's game in Detroit, but remember it being something similar and had a huge crowd.

True baseball fans are already hard to find in the Tampa Bay area.

SIG.png

11 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Yea, the Vikings game was MNF against the Giants. Free admission as well. She was sold out.

sig.png

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No, they're not.  They're just fans of other teams. 

Exactly. So they're not going to pay MLB money to see a Rays game unless their team comes to town.

However, getting in to a game for $10, even if not your team, might not be something to pass up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No, they're not.  They're just fans of other teams. 

Sure if you ignore the fact the Rays still have above average TV ratings

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2016/09/28/here-are-the-2016-mlb-prime-time-television-ratings-for-each-team/2/#7ea293f1791d

Or the fact they have the most twitter followers than any of the other 90s expansion teams

59a5823c9d618_ScreenShot2017-08-29at11_02_33AM.png.6fb4b143a255084e42c5eade765b057d.png

Extremely biassed, but damn dude get your head out of your ass. Yeah there's other fans here, and I don't blame them for wanting to support their home team. The front office is doing what they can to move on. They toured Atlanta last week, like previously mentioned. They'e evaluating the options of financials because they want to get it absolutely right. The commissioner of baseball was here last week. He toured stadium sites in Tampa. I grew up with this team and nearly everyone who grew up here is a Rays fan. The fan base is growing. If only someone pointed out it's a location and facility problem, rather than the market being broken.

• Like 2