Oakland Athletics Wheel of Relocation

the_fan

On 7/25/2021 at 12:02 PM, Wings2 said:

The Oakland Roots might literally be the only team left in Oakland..............for now. 

That whole thing has been an absolute DISASTER since they moved up to USL, too. They’ve had multiple games moved or cancelled because of the wacky ass turf they’re trying to use, and the whole thing just looks like they were entirely unprepared for the promotion to USL and are completely in over their heads. 

9 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

That whole thing has been an absolute DISASTER since they moved up to USL, too. They’ve had multiple games moved or cancelled because of the wacky ass turf they’re trying to use, and the whole thing just looks like they were entirely unprepared for the promotion to USL and are completely in over their heads. 

Yep. Not sure they've even played a real home game yet this season. Any momentum they had from NISA has been completely lost between COVID and their disaster of an attempt at an opening game. 

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I don’t think the A’s could sell out the Mausoleum even if they gave each fan a bar of gold with their ticket. Really feels like they’re done with Oakland and the people have responded in kind. 

Pandemic or not, getting 3,000 fans to your game paints a picture that all the concept art for a stadium that will never be can’t. 

EDIT: Wait, they’re charging more? A’s ownership pictured: spacer.png

I mean I think it's a calculated move by the A's FO to drive away even more fans than normal to make the case for relocation, be it to Vegas or a new Oakland ballpark. But if it's the latter, driving away fans so you're only drawing in the sub-10,000 range seems an odd way to go about it. I mean they're going to need fans back eventually, and they didn't have many to begin with. Driving away the few your have leaving you no core to build back up the fanbase in a new park just seems like a really bad idea to me. 

Maybe you're right and they really do favor relocation at this point even with Oakland almost there on meeting the A's where they want them. 

• 3 weeks later...