MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

22 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I dislike the whole idea of a league-wide number and name font.  All numbering and lettering should be decided by the team, in a manner in keeping with its look.  This is another reason (in addition to the football itself) that watching the Champions League is so much fun.  I have always enjoyed seeing the differing aesthetic choices that Chelsea and the other Premier League teams make for their numbers; and I wish I could see that all the time.

This is basically where I'm at with it, and I think it contributes to the Generic FC template problem that's my biggest complaint about MLS vs. other leagues.

Plus, if we're gonna be celebrating the big anniversary this year, missed opportunity to bring back this typeface:

41376685211_5a0bf5ea34_b.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish each team was able to have there own unique font/numbers. This font seems very disconnected for each team. But I don't mind the numbers. Its just the NOB will be hard to read. In the end, I am curious to see how this new font will look on each team.

4kv29i.jpg

Looks like they were using the same NOB font as the Patriots at the time.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

This is basically where I'm at with it, and I think it contributes to the Generic FC template problem that's my biggest complaint about MLS vs. other leagues.

Plus, if we're gonna be celebrating the big anniversary this year, missed opportunity to bring back this typeface:

41376685211_5a0bf5ea34_b.jpg

2 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

If that's what RSL's will actually look like Im game. I like the pattern to it.

I think the pattern is awful, and the blue on red treatment will just end up looking like a purple blob in action (if this does end up being representative of the actual design). The return of blue shorts would be a big plus, and the sponsor logo being gold instead of white would be an upgrade as well, but otherwise I’m not a fan at all (again, if that mockup is actually representative of the real thing).

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Looks like we have a rough idea of what the new DCU primary will look like:

Pablo also said that DCU re-upped with Leidos, so their logo will still be on the kits this year. Honestly, if there’s one team that the oversized shoulder stripes will look good on, it’s DCU, as the stripes will be somewhat reminiscent of their classic kits, even though those had the large stripes across the chest. Also, if the DCU shirt really does have red cuffs, then that means teams aren’t locked into having cuffs (maybe collars as well) that match the base color of the shirt with this template, which would be a positive development.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Nashville badge on its own isn’t great, but it’s even worse when lost in a sea of yellow. There has to be a better way to apply this badge. This wouldn’t be an issue if the primary were blue or if the logo was applied in reverse.

Also, another disappointing teamwear approach to an inaugural season kit. It didn’t used to be this way.

DC's looks tight, for sure. The shoulder stripes also reminiscent of the Washington Dips' NASL kits, which I dig.

Nashville's, if it weren't for the horrible badge, I'd be into it. I really don't understand why they didn't keep their USL badge, it was one of the best imo. Certainly far better than this one.

If they pair it with navy shorts and socks I don't think it's a bad look though, to be fair.

spacer.png

Here’s a cleaner mockup of what the new DCU primary could look like:

spacer.png

Before anyone asks, I used the old name/number font since we haven’t seen what all of the characters in the new typeface look like yet. Also, we don’t know what the stripe treatment on the shorts will look like with the oversized shoulder stripes on the shirt, so I just used the standard stripe treatment and tailoring cut that Adidas is using for the shorts on the ‘20/‘21 kits.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Here’s a cleaner mockup of what the new DCU primary could look like:

spacer.png

Before anyone asks, I used the old name/number font since we haven’t seen what all of the characters in the new typeface look like yet. Also, we don’t know what the stripe treatment on the shorts will look like with the oversized shoulder stripes on the shirt, so I just used the standard stripe treatment and tailoring cut that Adidas is using for the shorts on the ‘20/‘21 kits.

No stripes on RSL's shorts. 

Archived