MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BC985 said:

Is this our first look at a sleeve sponsor?

That’s our first look at LAFC’s sleeve sponsor (we knew it was gonna be Target, but hadn’t seen it on the kit), but not our first look at a sleeve sponsor overall, as Atlanta’s was leaked a while back:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

As an Atlanta fan, I wish our sleeve sponsors was treated more similar to LAFC. Use gold text on top of the stripes. It would be perfectly legible as we’ve seen from the AmFam chest sponsor. I don’t like the black text amidst the gold box. It looks like an afterthought whereas LAFC’s is much cleaner. Maybe we can get that adjusted on 2021’s new primary kit.

Going back to LAFC, I was hoping they’d use this new kit as their chance to fix the MLS patch.  It’s the same as the last two seasons but nowhere on the kit is there any white besides the MLS patch. It sticks out too much and should be strictly black and gold. Shame.

3 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Going back to LAFC, I was hoping they’d use this new kit as their chance to fix the MLS patch.  It’s the same as the last two seasons but nowhere on the kit is there any white besides the MLS patch. It sticks out too much and should be strictly black and gold. Shame.

Absolutely.  This would look so much better in just black and gold.

897-8977083_mls-lafc-expansiondraft-chic

Better than the original, though:

424px-MLS_crest_logo_RGB_-_Los_Angeles_F

Especially since they got rid of the red and white in the YouTubeTV logo.

Hey look - they got rid of the red and white in the YouTubeTV logo!

3 hours ago, BC985 said:

Looks like San Jose’s new secondary kits will have blue shorts and socks:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png
They debuted these in today’s preseason friendly against Columbus. There could still be white clash shorts and/or socks as well, but nice to see that they’ll have a blue shorts and socks option after their last secondaries only had white shorts and socks.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

RSL will finally have yellow names/numbers on their new primaries:

spacer.png

This is something they should’ve done a long time ago. The white names/numbers always stuck out IMO, and now that the LifeVantage logo is yellow on their new shirt it’s only right that the names/numbers are too.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

34 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

RSL will finally have yellow names/numbers on their new primaries:

spacer.png

This is something they should’ve done a long time ago. The white names/numbers always stuck out IMO, and now that the LifeVantage logo is yellow on their new shirt it’s only right that the names/numbers are too.

That name is only six characters long and the shirt looks like it could fit about two more comfortably. I wonder if they’ll have a narrow version like the old design.

spacer.png

I don’t see this new font working for guys like this who didn’t need the narrow font.

spacer.png

SiwgBShm.jpg

Well, I'll be saving some money this season.

From where I'm sitting, the new LAFC jersey looks like absolute s**t. The egregiously wide cuffs on the sleeves. The nearly-as-abysmal collar width. The awkward manner in which the torso, yoke, and collar come together. The dopey three stripes adorning the right shoulder. All of said shortcomings overwhelm the pleasing rendering of the YouTubeTV sponsor logo in monotone gold and the subtle vertical striping on the front of the shirt.

Hard pass.        

10 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

SiwgBShm.jpg

Well, I'll be saving some money this season.

From where I'm sitting, the new LAFC jersey looks like absolute s**t. The egregiously wide cuffs on the sleeves. The nearly as abysmal collar width. The awkward manner in which the torso, yoke, and collar come together. The dopey three stripes adorning the right shoulder. All of said shortcomings overwhelm the pleasing rendering of the YouTubeTV sponsor logo in monotone gold and the subtle vertical striping on the front of the shirt.

Hard pass.        

You're complaining about the LAFC jersey but it's arguably the least affected jersey by the new template compared to all the other teams. 

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Another look at LAFC’s sleeve sponsor:

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

This is about as good as a sleeve sponsor can possibly get.  Simple logo, symmetrical, no words.   So much better than that mess on Atlanta’s sleeve. 

Everyone will know this is Target, but I think they should still put the target name below. That's the logo that's brought out at their stores, it should be the one they put on Minnesota and LAFC's kits too. It's like McDonalds not putting the name under the arches. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

41 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

That name is only six characters long and the shirt looks like it could fit about two more comfortably. I wonder if they’ll have a narrow version like the old design.

spacer.png

I don’t see this new font working for guys like this who didn’t need the narrow font.

spacer.png

Adidas has a weird habit of using different sized fonts for teams. They had this issue with the 2006 nameplates. If it was 5 letters or longer they used a smaller and more compact font. This is why nameplates don't need to match the number fonts all of the time. 

Image result for adidas 2006 world cup font"Image result for adidas 2006 world cup font"

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Everyone will know this is Target, but I think they should still put the target name below. That's the logo that's brought out at their stores, it should be the one they put on Minnesota and LAFC's kits too. It's like McDonalds not putting the name under the arches. 

They do.

What's wrong with this?

mcdonalds-worms.jpg

Besides, Target does use the logo without wordmark in other applications.

target.jpg

I would put this one in the same realm as Starbucks and Nike.  Why would use a wordmark version when you can create a graphic that speaks so well without it?

NIKE_logo.jpg

star1-552x272.png

The best designs need no explanation.  Nike's check says the name loudly enough without the actual word, as does Target's target.

22 minutes ago, dannykraft said:

You're complaining about the LAFC jersey but it's arguably the least affected jersey by the new template compared to all the other teams. 

Yes, as a season ticket-holding supporter of Los Angeles Football Club, I'm complaining about the LAFC jersey. Which, for the reasons I listed, I feel looks like s**t when compared to said team's original primary jersey.

5 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Yet, for the reasons I listed, it still looks like s**t to this LAFC season ticket-holder's eyes when compared to said team's original primary jersey.

Any kit that gets used for every single team in the league will have that issue. If these were an alternate for a couple random dates on the schedule, I think they could be forgiven. But if this is your primary for two years? I'd be pretty upset too. That's my biggest complaint about these 2020 kits across the board. They're supposed to represent the 25th anniversary of the league, but they rip off current Euro 2020 team designs, have no designs that were used in 1996, and not a single one has anything that hearkens back to the first year of the league except for one of the original teams' badges that hadn't been changed since then, which is the New England Revolution. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

They better have a narrow version.  NYCFC has several players that will need one.

int_190629_INET_FC_NYFCFC_PHILLY_HL27_5x

I'm curious to see how this font responds to being squashed.  Think they might have been better off saving the in-line for the numbers and using a simplified version for the NOB.

Archived