MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

13 minutes ago, BC985 said:

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I would expect that a global brand like Adidas would be able to accommodate a rebranding without a lot of notice. 

The normal kit design process starts about 2 years out, and about a year out is when things are finalized to go into production. If Chicago didn’t submit their new logos, identity, etc. to the league and/or Adidas inside that window, then there’s no way there would’ve been enough time to accommodate it and develop a fully custom kit. It’s the same reason why Cincy had the miTeam and teamwear kits last year, because their new logo and identity wasn’t submitted in time for fully custom kits to be developed for last year. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BellaSpurs said:

Apparently I’m gonna get hate for this, but a lot of these kits look okay, there are some that definitely look worse on this template, but a lot more of them than you guys are saying look good. I like a good bit of them

Maybe I hated last year's all white kits more than most, but these are pretty decent I think. Overall a much better year than last year.

10 hours ago, upperV03 said:

The normal kit design process starts about 2 years out, and about a year out is when things are finalized to go into production. If Chicago didn’t submit their new logos, identity, etc. to the league and/or Adidas inside that window, then there’s no way there would’ve been enough time to accommodate it and develop a fully custom kit. It’s the same reason why Cincy had the miTeam and teamwear kits last year, because their new logo and identity wasn’t submitted in time for fully custom kits to be developed for last year. 

I'm assuming that's the case, which is one more reason why this whole thing was a very bad idea.

Both the ownership change and the move to Soldier Field were announced in the fall of last year. Those are two presumed good reasons for a rebrand, but the timeline would seem to be waaaay too short... but, again, a rush job that should not have happened would also explain basically everything that's come out of it.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On the whole, seeing the full pictures, I think this is a pretty weak and disappointing slate across the league. Besides the fact that they're so templated to the point that we can't even have variation in collar shape and detailing anymore, I think it's a real missed opportunity to not have any real movement toward true 90s throwbacks, and no, the Adidas template that vaguely looks like a Liverpool kit from before MLS even existed doesn't count. Couldn't SKC shoutout the wavy stripes or rainbow affect instead of looking like Team Men's Wearhouse yet again? Of all of LA Galaxy's historical schemes they decided to change to a brand new one? I'm shocked that the *Revs* are the only team putting in the effort for a fun historical tieback, and even that's the bare minimum that conveniently fits in with Adidas's current brand mission.

On another note here's another behind-the-scenes read, on the new typeface. Interesting to consider all the requirements. I do with the version without any inline detailing was used for the player names themselves on jerseys.

https://www.itsnicethat.com/news/rick-banks-f37-major-league-soccer-typeface-graphic-design-060220?preview=eyJpZCI6MTE4NDB9:1ize4q:6vHW6GtL5te3327-4Qx5ERc4-Cc&utm_content=buffer580f2&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=intsocial

rick_banks_major_league_soccer_m.width-1

Looking at all of these, I dislike Nashville's navy road kit the least, at least when it comes to kits with the giant three stripes on the shoulder.

I know this was meant a some homage to 95-96, but I wonder what these would look like if the stripes were on both shoulders, thinner, and moved further out on the shoulder to look more like the old Vikings, Colts, UCLA football shoulder designs. 

46 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I know this was meant a some homage to 95-96, but I wonder what these would look like if the stripes were on both shoulders, thinner, and moved further out on the shoulder to look more like the old Vikings, Colts, UCLA football shoulder designs. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Honestly I think this is even worse, as it just looks like Adidas’ football practice jerseys:

spacer.png

I’m not the biggest fan of the EQT-inspired shoulder stripes that they went with, but at least they are a reference to some of Adidas’ old soccer uniforms, even if those kits predated MLS’ existence. For a one year thing I think the stripes are honestly fine, but it’s more frustrating to me that teams weren’t allowed the opportunity to experiment more with the collars and cuffs, like some of Adidas’ international kits for 2020.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

10 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Honestly I think this is even worse, as it just looks like Adidas’ football practice jerseys:

spacer.png

I’m not the biggest fan of the EQT-inspired shoulder stripes that they went with, but at least they are a reference to some of Adidas’ old soccer uniforms, even if those kits predated MLS’ existence. For a one year thing I think the stripes are honestly fine, but it’s more frustrating to me that teams weren’t allowed the opportunity to experiment more with the collars and cuffs, like some of Adidas’ international kits for 2020.

So then are teams no keeping the kits they got for the whole 2 years. Or am I misinterpreting this part?

I’m a fan of a few of these - Atlanta, Colorado, both LA teams, NYCFC, and Kansas City. The rest aren’t great, and others are truly awful. There’s always one jersey that I shouldn’t like, but I do - last year that was Minnesota, this year it’s Cincinnati. 

The last Orlando City jersey I bought was the 2017 one, and it looks like that streak is continuing this year. I really like the idea, but the way the shoulders are cut ruin the look.

ExJworW.png

6 minutes ago, WBeltz said:

So then are teams no keeping the kits they got for the whole 2 years. Or am I misinterpreting this part?

By a one year thing I just meant that the kits released this year should be the only ones with this template since it’s for the 25th season. I would definitely still expect the kits to be carried over next year (except I think Cincy is replacing their primary again next year, and it’s possible that one of the expansion clubs could replace their secondaries). My bad, should’ve been clearer there.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

In Cincy’s press release for their new primary kit, they said that the shirt will be paired with navy shorts and socks. I haven’t seen any actual shots of the full kit, but we got a glimpse at what it’ll look like in the video that the league posted on Twitter previewing the new kits being released in FIFA:

spacer.png

I already wasn’t a huge fan of their new kit, and I think going with navy shorts and socks just exacerbates the problems I have with it. They should really own the royal and orange, but with this kit they’re emphasizing navy over both of those colors. In their press release, Cincy did say they’ll have an orange shorts option, but with the half and half design and the navy socks I really don’t think the orange shorts would help make it better at all, and quite frankly might just make it more of a cluster:censored:.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

It looks nice in a vacuum but it doesn't look like the right fit for the team. Seems weird we're back to the days of the Red Bulls not having a red kit! Did the MetroStars ever have a plain black shirt, i.e. not black/red stripes? This one reads more like vintage DC United to me, and I'm old enough to remember when that was the big rivalry.

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

It looks nice in a vacuum but it doesn't look like the right fit for the team. Seems weird we're back to the days of the Red Bulls not having a red kit! Did the MetroStars ever have a plain black shirt, i.e. not black/red stripes? This one reads more like vintage DC United to me, and I'm old enough to remember when that was the big rivalry.

Yea, I agree it is a bit weird to see them in all black as a home kit. I think it would be the perfect change kit though. 

Also, I always think of DC as black with white stripes. The lack of white on this kit differentiates them from DC just enough IMO.

The inaugural Metro home jersey was black, but it was only for that first year.

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Might be biased but I think this is a really clean look.

spacer.png

I think red shorts/socks would be a great add-on or alternate for it to give it more color.

I personally think too though that they should do what RB Salzburg have with their Euro kits. A solid red home and a black away. Color in the advert on the shirt if needed. Plus it’ll allow a bit more mix and match (to me at least).

spacer.png
spacer.png

Archived