North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

I wouldn't mind a second bubble tournament in a month or two. Sort of apertura/clausura thing (yikes on my spelling). Ideally with bigger groups because I don't think the 3-and-out nature of the current bubble was satisfying for the early-out teams. 

I guess I can see how MLS travel might be able to work a little better than MLB -- with the one-off games and constricted travel, even possibility of effectively-bubbled day trips, fewer risk vectors are in play -- but still, it's tough to go from the successful format to this. (USL has been having trouble already with this, but I also trust USL less.)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO any travel is just a stupid, unnecessary risk.

The bubble has worked very well for MLS. I have no reason what so ever to believe travel will work based on what's going on in baseball. Plus Montreal/Vancouver/Toronto likely would have to find temporary US homes like the Jays.

If they want to have a bubble shortened season, great. Take a couple weeks off (or however long), put the season together, come back and play in the bubble. Don't risk travel. It's not worth it. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

3 hours ago, Digby said:

I always feel like the Timbers very consistently assemble squads that are very solid, top-to-bottom, but not what I'd call great. Then they consistently appear in finals.

Definitely. Seattle and Portland have been in the MLS Finals going back to 2015 so it's fitting Portland is in the finals of this year's title (MLS should call it a season after next week).

One nice thing about the Seattle/Portland rivalry is both teams are routinely very good. One bad thing is both teams are routinely very good.

Go Orlando/Minnesota!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It's funny that they're similar but different in that way.

Portland always makes a squad of guys who are talented enough but nothing special, and Valeri's getting older and somebody's gonna get a DUI ... but then they turn out to be a stellar knockout team when it counts.

Seattle is something of a super club with a nice mix of USA stars and elite talent from elsewhere, but they can't click for two-thirds of the season and get written off ... but then they turn out to be a stellar knockout team when it counts.

29 minutes ago, WJMorris3 said:

Meanwhile in Dallas, the rumor is that G Jesse Gonzalez just had his contract terminated by MLS for domestic violence.

No longer a rumor.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

4 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect them to make it this far. Vamos Orlando, only one more to go.

Congratulations! I'll definitely be rooting for you guys next week.

At the start of the tournament, I wanted either Seattle or a team that wasn't a usual suspect. Orlando is most definitely NOT a usual suspect.  Plus the team has been such garbage for so long, it's nice to see them succeeding!

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

Nah. Just call Orlando the 2020 league champion and we can all try again next year.

16 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

The Boca in English podcast is reporting that Minnesota United FC is about to secure the services of midfielder Emanuel Reynoso from Boca Juniors for $5.2 million.

@CABJ_English

After like three months of rumors, I'll believe it when there's an announcement from the team.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Well then. MLS return announced.

FC Dallas and Nashville SC

To make up for the games they missed after being withdrawn from the MLS is Back Tournament, FC Dallas and Nashville SC will play three additional games, against each other. The two teams will face off in the first game of the resumption of the 2020 regular season on Wednesday, Aug. 12 at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas, and again at the same location on Aug. 16. A third game between the sides will be played in Nashville at a later date in the regular season. 

Audi MLS Cup Playoffs

A total of 18 clubs will qualify for the postseason in 2020, up from 14 last year. The Audi MLS Cup Playoffs will begin on Nov. 20, culminating with MLS Cup on Dec. 12. 

Interesting they're announcing just a bit, and will follow up later in case the whole thing doesn't fall apart.

Kind of a bummer, because the season started right before the pandemic and it feels like that was a billion years ago.

2020_Schedule_Release_Twitter_2000x1125%

More matches for the Sounders will be unveiled as the league continues to chart its full course for a resumption of the regular season.

I think Goff had tweeted at some point that they're splitting the remainder of the regular season into phases, partially for that and partially because they need to figure out how to work the Canadian teams back into the fold with everyone else at some point.

At least some of the northeastern teams can just charter a bus to the away stadium, play the match, and then charter on home. It's gonna be like travel-team youth soccer, which is to say a miserable sh!tshow probably.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Speak of the devil. If I were FCD and I got kicked out of the tournament for being infected, I probably wouldn't want to be the early adopter on stadium fans. Texas, man.

FC Dallas doesn't even have 5,000 in attendance for regular games.  

Archived