Gothamite

North American Pro Soccer 2020

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

 

That might be the case... although the two Red Cards show that maybe the pressure of being one of the favorites is getting to them. They still have one group stage game left with Columbus and, depending on what they do tonight against the Red Bulls, that game may have all sorts of implications for the Knockout Round.

To be fair Cincys man advantage pretty much equaled the playing field, the second red didnt happen until near the 100th minute so that had no factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless there's another outbreak from another MLS team, I think MLS finishes their tournament with an MLS Cup Champion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I think MLS finishes their tournament with an MLS Cup Champion.  

 

That's not the outcome of this tournament, though.  At least, not according to what they've said previously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -kj said:

 

That's not the outcome of this tournament, though.  At least, not according to what they've said previously.

 

So what does the winner get?  An automatic spot in CONCACAF when that returns?

 

Either way, they get a chance to finish, which I cannot say for MLB, NFL or NBA.

 

So there's not going to be an MLS Cup this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

MLS Commissioner Don Garber just announced the expansion franchises in Charlotte, St. Louis and Sacramento will all be delayed by one year. Austin FC is still a go. 

I'm not sure why Sacramento and St. Louis necessarily needed to slide back a year. Are they still having stadium issues? Charlotte even started signing players so I guess that just means they'll be loaned out for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm not sure why Sacramento and St. Louis necessarily needed to slide back a year. Are they still having stadium issues? Charlotte even started signing players so I guess that just means they'll be loaned out for next year.

Construction in St. Louis hasn't faced any delays, but the league's statement mentioned delays to both stadiums and business operations. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the pandemic could be making it difficult to land key business deals, including naming rights and jersey sponsors. Probably a buyers' market for that right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Construction in St. Louis hasn't faced any delays, but the league's statement mentioned delays to both stadiums and business operations. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the pandemic could be making it difficult to land key business deals, including naming rights and jersey sponsors. Probably a buyers' market for that right now. 

After reading through I guess it makes sense that the expansion sides said they would be better off losing revenue now rather than later. Austin is still coming in next year which makes sense because Austin is getting a lot of new business even with the pandemic slowing things here in CENTEX. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

After reading through I guess it makes sense that the expansion sides said they would be better off losing revenue now rather than later. Austin is still coming in next year which makes sense because Austin is getting a lot of new business even with the pandemic slowing things here in CENTEX. 

Also also had a year-long head start on the other teams. So the logic is that the club has had time to get its affairs in order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the NWSL Challenge Cup the 8 seed Portland Thorns knocked off the 1 seed North Carolina Courage in the opening game of the knockout round. The Courage won all four games coming into todays game while Portland drew 3 and lost 1. Better late than never to get your first win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it was entirely out of their control, but do you think Miami's and Nashville's teams would have loved to have a full inaugural season instead of three games in March, a four month delay, then a fanless tournament where one gets booted out of, with the uncertainty of a (fanless) season that may or may not be played next?

Who knows what happens next with the pandemic, how America handles it, and how long and severe the effects on sports are for the next few years (looks like most major sports will already probably have to radically adjust their schedules next year, who knows after that). Giving the teams more time may settle some of the business end, but also make for a smoother launch if/when things calm down.

 

It may seem wildly cautious for any number of reasons (finances, business, etc) but everybody thought it was crazy when the first basketball games were cancelled in March too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointing to see MLS expansion pushed back, but I'll take it if it means we'll get fans crowing the Bank year 1. It's unfortunate for Nashville and Miami that their first year was like this and I imagine Austin will have some struggles as well, but honestly I'm surprised that Charlotte got pushed back. With all the progress that's been made (jersey sponsor, player signing) and having a pre-built stadium is seems like we'd be set for 2021. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Letting Austin struggle would be the best course of action. If it gets Austin “Kegger King” Precourt out of MLS, that’s good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LAFC are beating the crap out of the Galaxy. Love to see it. 
 

EDIT: 4 goals for Rossi. Jesus man. What a performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been to Papa Murphy's Park in Sacramento, but when it comes to watching on TV or online it's easily my favorite USL stadium. Kind of eerie seeing it with no fans in attendance on ESPN2 right now.

 

SN: I really hope this stadium stays around after Sacramento Republic joins MLS and moves into a new stadium. Let the SRFC youth academy clubs play their or something. This stadium has a charm I can't explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure exactly what role this person played, but a former NYCFC employee is accusing David Villa of being a groper and the club not doing anything about it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the MLS is Back Tournament does not crown the MLS Cup Champion and instead gets the winner an automatic slot in CONCACAF Champions League, does this mean the Sounders are still the champions of MLS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Since the MLS is Back Tournament does not crown the MLS Cup Champion and instead gets the winner an automatic slot in CONCACAF Champions League, does this mean the Sounders are still the champions of MLS?

Well for now yes they are still the reigning MLS Champions because they are not playing for the MLS Cup in this tournament. MLS has yet to make a decision on games after the tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I've never been to Papa Murphy's Park in Sacramento, but when it comes to watching on TV or online it's easily my favorite USL stadium. Kind of eerie seeing it with no fans in attendance on ESPN2 right now.

 

SN: I really hope this stadium stays around after Sacramento Republic joins MLS and moves into a new stadium. Let the SRFC youth academy clubs play their or something. This stadium has a charm I can't explain.


Two things on your bolded statement: 

 

1). I personally LOVE hearing that first part. The effort thats necessary to get that place ready for a game is pretty daunting.  It’s always worth it, though. I really wish I knew what Scott and crew had to go through to get those south side seats tarped up like that. I can’t imagine it was fun. 

 

2). Republic has actually played a handful of games that were either closed to the public for various reasons (weather, scheduling, issues with Cal Expo, etc) or were limited in capacity to only one section. It’s pretty strange, but those were always my favorite games. There were only a dozen or so of us (excluding the players and coaches), so we basically had full run of the park. 
 

PMP will stick around in some capacity, but that particular area has always been a public entertainment venue in one form or another. It was an outdoor amphitheater for a long time before it was a soccer field. What really gives the park charm is it being on the state fairgrounds land. Things like minor league soccer are basically what that place is built for. I know for a fact they’re going to miss the income they get every year if they lose Republic completely, so there’s gonna be some incentive to keep a field there. Keeping a USL feeder team in Sacramento is one option they’ve always talked about, and they’re about to get a NWSL team. Both would be great tenants to PMP. 
 

Speaking of PMP, I have quite a handful of some really fun items from that park I acquired over the years. Some day I’ll post them all here. You’re right about the park having a certain level of unexplainable charm. I know every inch of that stadium and it’s really a perfect combination of rickety chaos and homey warmth.  It’ll always have a special place in my heart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

Keeping a USL feeder team in Sacramento is one option they’ve always talked about, and they’re about to get a NWSL team. Both would be great tenants to PMP. 

Well that's good to hear.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.