North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

58 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

NYCFC complied perfectly with the MLS stadium requirements.

There is a misconception that the league requires a SSS of expansion clubs.  That's not true, and has never been true.  The league requires teams to have a stadium their owners control, be it a SSS, football stadium, or even baseball stadium.  Once the Yankees came into the ownership group, Yankee Stadium became a viable option.  And other than bad television angles, it's a fine solution for the first decade or so; certainly better than the largest city in America not having a club.

I think everyone's aware at this point that the Yankees connection made it technically acceptable by MLS's standards, but that doesn't mean it's something that anyone wants to see, especially not for a supposedly marquee club in the league. MLS has a better product when teams have the right stadiums. To their credit, Seattle and Atlanta have managed to produce their ideal product without SSS, but I would not put NYCFC in that same category. Not as long as their games on TV look like they're being played in blue chromakey studios, not with that weird pitch, not with the ever-present risk of getting kicked out to Hartford.

Maybe Nashville can turn Nissan Stadium into the next Atlanta situation, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Digby said:

I think everyone's aware at this point that the Yankees connection made it technically acceptable by MLS's standards, but that doesn't mean it's something that anyone wants to see, especially not for a supposedly marquee club in the league. MLS has a better product when teams have the right stadiums.

That’s fair enough.   But what @MJWalker45 said was

teams got in because of potential stadiums that seem to never come to fruition

which is objectively not the case in the Bronx.   And which, now that I think of it, only refers to Miami FC (which was a contractual issue) and... Vancouver?

People like to make the claim that MLS somehow routinely ignores its own expansion requirements, but that really just ain’t so.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fc-dallas/story/4130103/fc-dallas-out-of-mls-is-back-tournament-amid-coronavirus-cases?linkId=93047409

FC Dallas will not participate in the MLS is Back tournament following the high number of positive tests of the coronavirus within the club, sources have told ESPN.

Dallas had three players test positive before the team arrived to Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex on June 27. That has since been followed by 10 players and one coach testing positive for a total of 14 cases. The team has been under quarantine since then, preventing them from training.

I'm super pumped for the return of MLS, but maybe this shouldn't be happening this week.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fc-dallas/story/4130103/fc-dallas-out-of-mls-is-back-tournament-amid-coronavirus-cases?linkId=93047409

I'm super pumped for the return of MLS, but maybe this shouldn't be happening this week.

I wonder how many teams pulling out of the tournament it would take for MLS to say it's a no-go. 

7 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I wonder how many teams pulling out of the tournament it would take for MLS to say it's a no-go. 

I'd have to think the tipping point is one more. But maybe it should just be the one. As it is, they can slide Nashville into the Dallas group and each group is whole. Sucks if you've been prepping for different teams, but also it's just a fake tournament.

But yeah. If one more team pulls, that's it. Though I could totally be on board with calling it right now.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'd have to think the tipping point is one more. But maybe it should just be the one. As it is, they can slide Nashville into the Dallas group and each group is whole. Sucks if you've been prepping for different teams, but also it's just a fake tournament.

But yeah. If one more team pulls, that's it. Though I could totally be on board with calling it right now.

Nashville's rumored to have issues too.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 hours ago, JayMac said:

Someone on the Facebook post noticed there was a chartered flight scheduled today in Orlando headed to Seattle, rumor is Sounders may be dropping too. 

1 hour ago, kmccarthy27 said:

Someone on the Facebook post noticed there was a chartered flight scheduled today in Orlando headed to Seattle, rumor is Sounders may be dropping too. 

That would end the tourney, I bet. 2 teams out, including the defending champ.

Well, Nashville's game with Chicago got postponed thanks to 5 positive tests on the Nashville side (all players) and the Toronto-DC United game has been pushed back from Friday to Sunday.

Starting to feel like this event is about to fall apart on the house of cards it made.

21 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Well, Nashville's game with Chicago got postponed thanks to 5 positive tests on the Nashville side (all players) and the Toronto-DC United game has been pushed back from Friday to Sunday.

Starting to feel like this event is about to fall apart on the house of cards it made.

Yep. NBA take note.

31 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

the Toronto-DC United game has been pushed back from Friday to Sunday.

The goods news (speaking from a health standpoint) is that this was just because Toronto only arrived yesterday. Toronto wanted to do more testing before leaving and arrived late as there was fear of a positive test (I'm not clear as to why there was "fear" of a positive test...maybe it was a false positive?).

But yeah. Shut it down.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

20 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm super pumped for the return of MLS, but maybe this shouldn't be happening this week year.

Seriously.  I can live without sports this year.  Oh, and so can others.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

At this point, I would be okay with football being the first American sport to be played. 

The NHL has some promise but I still have reservations. MLS and NBA are doomed and baseball isn't too far ahead.

20 minutes ago, -kj said:

Seriously.  I can live without sports this year.  Oh, and so can others.

I’m enjoying my detours into deep internet research, rebuilding my Lego collection, and catching up on shows/movies I missed. I’ve gotten more joy out of this stuff than anything sports-related in the past few years.

Why watch the Giants flounder under Gabe Kaplan when I can read tales about a delightful engineering failure?

I really miss sports and the only things I've filled them with are old wrestling and the extended 90 Day Fiance universe.

On 7/6/2020 at 4:54 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It sure as hell shouldn’t be happening in Florida, whose coronavirus response consists of “what virus?” and refusing to publish the death totals. 

no disrespect to people with #StayTheFHome facebook photo overlays, but I want to know more about what happened with FCD. Virus stowaway from the Texan :censored:show? Was the bubble punctured? Or did they have a teamwide decision to be careless at training, or maybe a night out at a Disney World theme furry bar on the first night in Orlando? I have many questions,

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

As much as I miss sports, maybe we shouldn’t be having any sporting events in the US given how poorly we’ve reacted to the pandemic as a country. 

And I say this as a fan of two teams who are among the favorites to win the championship in their given sports (Lakers and LAFC). 

Just doesn’t seem worth it to me. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived