North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

MNUFC's home opener on Sunday vs. Red Bulls is still on, fans and all, for the moment. Given today's flurry of announcements in other sports I'll not be surprised if this changes between now and Sunday. (This is also the start of a four-game homestand, and I'm not at all confident those games will go on as scheduled either.)

CCSLC signature.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Louisville Proof is reportedly changing to Racing Louisville in NWSL.

NWSL ownership in Derby City needs to get @mcrosby on the line, immediately. 

Fs6KJ29m.png?1 wr0qwyjm.png?1

Combine the purple/gold/white palette from Mark's first take on a badge for a Louisville-based NWSL club with the overall design of his second treatment and you have a logo that would vault to amongst the best in the league, if not the absolute top spot.  

The Washington Post is reporting that Major League Soccer has proposed having all 26 teams based in the Orlando area this summer, with competitive matches taking place without spectators at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. There is the possibility that games would also be contested at other venues in the area. Personnel - players, coaches, and support staff - would live under quarantine at a large resort near Walt Disney World.

MLS Proposes all 26 teams come to Orlando to resume season this summer

One the one hand, sounds cool because I like soccer. And maybe instead of a season, they do something akin to a World Cup tournament so it can be an extended competition over like, say, a month or so.

But a full season in effective quarantine presumably away from their families? That's a lot to ask. I don't know about that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

16 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

One the one hand, sounds cool because I like soccer. And maybe instead of a season, they do something akin to a World Cup tournament so it can be an extended competition over like, say, a month or so.

But a full season in effective quarantine presumably away from their families? That's a lot to ask. I don't know about that.

I would be down for an MLS round robin tournament for a month.  That would be cool and they can even do it with 26 teams as it would be much easier to do 26 team round robin tournament rather than one and done, because then how would you figure out the spots for 25 and 26?  Do you give those spots to MLS finalists Toronto and Seattle and give them a bye week?

8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Sounds like the plan would be just to start the season in some fashion there and then move teams back to home markets as they are able, though details and timelines on that part are especially scant.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

10 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

The Washington Post is reporting that Major League Soccer has proposed having all 26 teams based in the Orlando area this summer, with competitive matches taking place without spectators at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. There is the possibility that games would also be contested at other venues in the area. Personnel - players, coaches, and support staff - would live under quarantine at a large resort near Walt Disney World.

MLS Proposes all 26 teams come to Orlando to resume season this summer

It makes more sense to split teams up between Florida, Dallas and Tucson/Phoenix than to have the whole league in one place. Doesn't FC Dallas' complex have as many fields as Disney?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

It makes more sense to split teams up between Florida, Dallas and Tucson/Phoenix than to have the whole league in one place. Doesn't FC Dallas' complex have as many fields as Disney?

I'm thinking the advantage of Disney World is that that complex hosts a lot of various youth and college tournaments, so it's wired for some level of media that practice fields aren't. Plus Disney World presumably has a lot of on-site hotel space that will be going underutilized for the foreseeable future, to make a Quarantine Olympic Village for the participants.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

41 minutes ago, Digby said:

I'm thinking the advantage of Disney World is that that complex hosts a lot of various youth and college tournaments, so it's wired for some level of media that practice fields aren't. Plus Disney World presumably has a lot of on-site hotel space that will be going underutilized for the foreseeable future, to make a Quarantine Olympic Village for the participants.

That and it would cost less in the long run to centralize it in one location than three (not to mention Tucson is hotter than the surface of the sun in summer so who the hell would want to play there?)

No travel. One site. Easy quarantine maintenance. Better consistent weather and the housing ability of Disney resorts currently empty makes the most sense. 

And espn is already setup there to easily broadcast every game basically. And if it's live sports they'll definitely do well with ratings from sports starved fans. 

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

No travel. One site. Easy quarantine maintenance. Better consistent weather and the housing ability of Disney resorts currently empty makes the most sense. 

And espn is already setup there to easily broadcast every game basically. And if it's live sports they'll definitely do well with ratings from sports starved fans. 

Hell if they move quickly and put on a united front it might just be the in soccer has been looking for with MLB poised to have some form of dispute over the current reopening plan making them all look greedy to the layman (even if there are legitimate justifications for it)

23 hours ago, Digby said:

This is the same reason the NBA is considering using Walt Disney World.  The ESPN Complex is wired for media broadcast and the hotel options are there.  I mean the largest single resort by rooms is Pop Century that has over 2800 rooms, and Art of Animation across the lake has about 1900.  Not to mention the food service oppportunities on the hotel site as well.

Both could be secured off very well and they are relatively close to the sports complex.

Archived