North American Pro Soccer 2020

Gothamite

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Feels like part of the deal with running a new team now is having a celebrity you can point to as being an "owner". See also Beckham and Miami, Will Ferrell and LAFC.

I don't think I'd equate the two.  I would be shocked if Farrell had anywhere near the day-to-day with LAFC that Beckham does with Miami. 

Beckham is literally the only reason that club exists, and by all reports he's a very hands-on owner (perhaps even to the point of player tampering).  Farrell is great PR, but how much more than that?

EDIT:  And does LAFC sell one of these for Will Ferrell?  :lol:

ff_3829690-825bd0d8fc5722ea8c9falt1_full

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I don't think I'd equate the two.  I would be shocked if Farrell had anywhere near the day-to-day with LAFC that Beckham does with Miami. 

Beckham is literally the only reason that club exists, and by all reports he's a very hands-on owner (perhaps even to the point of player tampering).  Farrell is great PR, but how much more than that?

That's true -- I guess I was thinking more in terms of like, the public face of "ownership" versus the people with the real money at stake. Beckham is a unique case since he's functionally a GM and also got the entry for the team (at a discount), but it ended up that Mas and Claure have wound up being the actual majority owners, I thought?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

10 minutes ago, Digby said:

That's true -- I guess I was thinking more in terms of like, the public face of "ownership" versus the people with the real money at stake. Beckham is a unique case since he's functionally a GM and also got the entry for the team (at a discount), but it ended up that Mas and Claure have wound up being the actual majority owners, I thought?

My understanding (and I could well be wrong) is that they are equal partners.  Mas, Son, and the others brought cash to the deal, but Beckham brought his contract with MLS.  That was worth at least $125M on is own, enough for a pretty sizeable stake in the club.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Feels like part of the deal with running a new team now is having a celebrity you can point to as being an "owner". See also Beckham and Miami, Will Ferrell and LAFC. Maybe a descendant of Jay-Z owning (one-half of one percent of) the Nets when they moved to Brooklyn, or the MLS equivalent of Elton John owning Watford (one of my favorite facts). I think it's more useful marketing angle than meaningful investment, but hey.

LAFC not only has Will Ferrell, but also former Red Sox Great Nomar Garciaparra, his wife Soccer Legend Mia Hamm, NBA Legend Magic Johnson and Motivational Speaker Tony Robbins.  

Goofy story with surprise ending - NYCFC is playing its first CCL match in San Jose, Costa Rica tomorrow.  There's a New York supporter who wears a pigeon mask to games (it was tough to get that by Yankee Stadium security in 2015, I can tell you....), and he, well, I'll let him tell it:

The club saw his post, and decided to spring for a plane ticket from one San Jose to the other.

I give him credit - if I had made that mistake, I would have kept quiet about it.  By publicly admitting his goof, he got it fixed.

9 hours ago, Sport said:

This will be their fourth head coach and they haven't even started their second year.

Technically third. Yoann Demet was the interim after they fired Koch and is the interim again now. Still not great. Chivas USA had 4 coaches before the start of their 2nd season and they turned out all right, so who knows. /s

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

My understanding (and I could well be wrong) is that they are equal partners.  Mas, Son, and the others brought cash to the deal, but Beckham brought his contract with MLS.  That was worth at least $125M on is own, enough for a pretty sizeable stake in the club.

You're kidding yourself if you think that Beckham is on equal footing with his partners in the Inter Miami CF ownership structure.  

Yes, Beckham's option - at a bargain basement price - on ownership of a Major League Soccer franchise upon retirement was the first step towards establishment of the entity that has become Inter Miami CF. Emphasis on first step. 

Beckham and Simon Fuller were identified as potential investor/operators of a Miami-based MLS club by Don Garber in December of 2013. Two months later, MLS announced that an investment group comprised of Beckham, Fuller and Marcelo Claure would operate a Miami-based club if a stadium-financing plan could be settled upon. When Miami natives Jorge and Jose Mas, as well as Japanese businessman Masayoshi Son, were added to the ownership group in mid-December 2017, four years had passed since Beckham and Fuller had been identified as potential stewards of an MLS operation. During those four years, Beckham had done bubkes to truly advance the bid... well, besides floating a series of stadium site proposals that either went nowhere (Dodge Island, Museum Park, Little Havana), or were a siting error waiting to happen (Overtown). In fact, it was reportedly the Mas brothers who, given their knowledge of Greater Miami, pumped the brakes on the Overtown site.

Hell, six subsequent MLS expansion franchises have managed to beat Beckham's proposed Miami squad to the pitch and begin competitive play in the MLS since the league's February 2014 announcement that Beckham, Fuller and Claure would operate a team.   

Beckham is the face - the "style" -  of the franchise. The Mas brothers, Son and Claure - particularly, Lead Managing Owner Jorge Mas - are the "substance" of the club. Beckham's bid to join MLS was going nowhere fast until the financial resources, business acumen - and, in the case of the Mas brothers, local savvy - were added to the mix.    

I can't believe it, but I have good news to report about the Chicago Fire.

The club announced this morning that it has signed a multi-year deal with WGN-TV as a broadcast partner, ending the era of toiling in anonymity for a few pennies off the top on ESPN+. 24 matches this season will be presented on free over-the-air television to Chicagoland.

This is a move that both sides needed. The Fire will get much more exposure, and no doubt plenty of promotion across WGN's 10+ hours a day of televised news programming. WGN needed something to fill its schedule after losing the Cubs to Marquee and the White Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks to NBCSN Chicago. Considering the club's "Fire Pitch" facility is literally across the dang street from WGN's studios, it's remarkable it didn't happen sooner.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

10 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm just wondering why adidas didn't try to help him find a spot in Miami.

For what?

The Mas brothers are the ones directly connected to the council members and other Miami-Dade officials. No outside company can grease the political wheel like a local boy who is a major construction company CEO.

3 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

For what?

The Mas brothers are the ones directly connected to the council members and other Miami-Dade officials. No outside company can grease the political wheel like a local boy who is a major construction company CEO.

Beckham is adidas as much as Messi is. Even if they weren't directly involved I would have expected them to want to get this done as quickly as MLS has wanted this to end. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

You're kidding yourself if you think that Beckham is on equal footing with his partners in the Inter Miami CF ownership structure.  

I said I understand they gave an equal stake.  Based on the equity they each brought in.

Doesn't that mean they have equal roles in running the club.

Archived