Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They do if they want to consult with the fans in LA about uniforms for the stadium opening.  It's not about how long since their last change, but how long before the next one. 

You've mentioned the "consult" thing at least a couple of times... do you honestly think that's anything more than marketing speak? I give that line as much weight as when a team says a coach's job is safe or a player won't be traded. Obviously, teams usually care about their fans' opinions, but it's not like getting a nuclear power plant permit with 90-day public comment periods and referendums on the ballot and whatnot. Hey, what do you guys like? A Twitter poll and a survey of season ticket holders, and you're done. At the very least, it should have been very obvious that something resembling the old blue/yellow would have been more than enough to last for five years.

They had a no-brainer on the table: switch to the classics immediately, get your environmental impact statement for the new stuff approved by the fans, and bring out a new alt for the new stadium as a trial balloon for the new set.

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

You've mentioned the "consult" thing at least a couple of times... do you honestly think that's anything more than marketing speak?

I do, actually. I know for a fact that when NYCFC put their badge up for a fan vote, they would have accepted either of the two options as the winner. They genuinely put the decision out there and took the results.

And we've seen the Rams do it on a limited scale with the pants this year. But because pants aren't made for retail sale, they didn't need the lead time required for jerseys. Much easier to do that between seasons. There's no way the Rams could have developed a STH base, and then polled that base on the uniforms, and then produced them for the first season.

Now, I don't know for a fact that the Rams will seriously take fan input. But it's their stated objective, and it's not at all an implausible one.

On 8/26/2017 at 3:06 AM, Brian in Boston said:

While I'll concede that Southern California traffic can be a bear, I can honestly say that in the 14-plus years that I've maintained footholds in Southern California, I have never had the drive from Santa Monica to Coronado (or, the reverse journey) take longer than 2 hours and 20 minutes. And that's happened twice... both times the result of accidents causing delays. Normally, I can make the trip in somewhere between 2 hours and 2 hours, 10 minutes. It's all about when I choose to get on the road.

During the week, I'll set out - in either direction - at 8:00 PM. While I'll hit pockets of traffic at various points along the way, the majority of the trip will be smooth sailing. On the weekends, I can either opt for the 8:00 PM departure, or elect to get on the road sometime between 6:30 AM and 7:30 AM, and have the same results.

Perhaps I've just been lucky.

I'll now return this thread to its regularly-scheduled discussion of the Los Angeles Chargers' branding.

That was a 5 hour round trip time *thumbs up*

Unless you plan to stay in Carson permanently... in which case may God have mercy on your soul.

And I drove it more or less yesterday around the Rams/Dolts game time to attend a meeting near Inglewood/LAX. Took me 3 hours and 10 minutes from central SD for just the trip up.

On 8/26/2017 at 3:30 PM, Gothamite said:

I do, actually. I know for a fact that when NYCFC put their badge up for a fan vote, they would have accepted either of the two options as the winner. They genuinely put the decision out there and took the results.

And we've seen the Rams do it on a limited scale with the pants this year. But because pants aren't made for retail sale, they didn't need the lead time required for jerseys. Much easier to do that between seasons. There's no way the Rams could have developed a STH base, and then polled that base on the uniforms, and then produced them for the first season.

Now, I don't know for a fact that the Rams will seriously take fan input. But it's their stated objective, and it's not at all an implausible one.

You also don't know for certain that the polling done wasn't rigged by the team. After all, we know what internet polling is worth.

It's where I sit.

15 hours ago, Gothamite said:

In this one case, I do.

Sure, there are plenty of rigged votes, fig leaves to cover a club's pre-ordained choice.  But that wasn't one of them. 

That almost sounds like insider information. Hey, if you say so.

I'm not opposed to the white facemasks, but I think navy would have been better.

It's where I sit.

Yeah, I knew a lot of people at the club back then.  Was working with them as we were starting the supporters group.  I even knew highly-placed people who preferred the other logo and were hoping it would win.  This wasn't a New York Cosmos "make up a name and find a fan to suggest it" fakeout, it was genuine.

I've said this before, but I still think the white facemasks are a near-disaster because they distract from the white horns.  The white horns get totally lost among the white chinstrap, white bumpers, and white facemasks.

Gurley-2.jpg

The original helmets had the same problem with white chinstraps, but fewer straps.  And they had gray facemasks.  And no bumpers.  The overall effect of the originals was to let the sweeping curve of the white horn stand out and be the dominant feature.

nfl_g_gabriel_1296x729.jpg

In the new ones, all the white all over the helmet muddies this effect and ruins it.  Too much, way too much.  

Navy facemasks would have been worlds better.  

Cp87wjFUEAAWRAW.jpg

Still very messy, but better. Even the gray throwbacks were a big improvement.

usp_nfl-_los_angeles_rams_at_seattle_sea

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I knew a lot of people at the club back then.  Was working with them as we were starting the supporters group.  I even knew highly-placed people who preferred the other logo and were hoping it would win.  This wasn't a New York Cosmos "make up a name and find a fan to suggest it" fakeout, it was genuine.

Sorry - I was talking about the Rams, not NYCFC.  Got it.

It's where I sit.

I might have been a bit vague - I was on the edge of one fan vote that was totally genuine, but I have no idea if the Rams will go through with one, or that if theirs will legit if they do.  

I was just pointing out that it isn't unreasonable at all that they might want to settle in to LA before making a change.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:49 AM, bosrs1 said:

Unless you plan to stay in Carson permanently... in which case may God have mercy on your soul.

And I drove it more or less yesterday around the Rams/Dolts game time to attend a meeting near Inglewood/LAX. Took me 3 hours and 10 minutes from central SD for just the trip up.

5 hours round trip sounds about right.

There's only 8 home games a year. 

You're making it sound like a daily or weekly commute.

Each game is an event. People make a weekend day trip out of it.

The commute/distance is really not that big of a factor when you're talking about a weekend event a couple of times a year.

People make the drive often for far lesser things.

6 hours ago, colortv said:

The commute/distance is really not that big of a factor when you're talking about a weekend event a couple of times a year.

Yeah, it really is.  Even in California.

Even if San Diego didn't feel spit upon by the Spanos family, a five-hour round trip is a lot to ask.

On August 27, 2017 at 8:49 AM, bosrs1 said:

As I said, my experience - with the exception of two trips in 14 years - has been a standard round-trip time between Santa Monica and Coronado of anywhere from 4 hours to 4 hours and 20 minutes. If my experience had been to routinely have the drive clock-in at 5 hours round-trip, I can assure you that I wouldn't be maintaining homes in both cities. One would have been placed on the market a looooooong time ago.

Again, I know exactly the window of time in which I need to depart from either city in order to maintain said schedule. Would it be convenient for the purposes of someone traveling to and from Carson or Inglewood in order to support the Chargers? Likely not. Then again, supporting the Chargers hasn't been my reason for traveling between Santa Monica and Coronado.    

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, it really is.  Even in California.

Even if San Diego didn't feel spit upon by the Spanos family, a five-hour round trip is a lot to ask.

Exactly. This notion that distances and times aren't "far" in California if they're in that range is ridiculous. Sitting in 5 hours of traffic is still sitting in 5 hours of traffic. Be it in Southern California, New York, or Hell. People aren't going to do it regularly... even for an "event" like going to see the team that shat on their city (or more likely going to see one of the teams playing them to root against the team that shat on their city).

And Brian, I understand you typically make a similar drive in 4 to 4 1/2 hours round trip. But that's also not a short drive you have to admit, and you also admit you tend to time it during more ideal driving times. As I found this weekend, during non-ideal times, which are apparently game times, the traffic is over 3 hours up and in that ballpark coming back. Meaning you're looking at a 5+ hour drive for game times.

41 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

Exactly. This notion that distances and times aren't "far" in California if they're in that range is ridiculous. Sitting in 5 hours of traffic is still sitting in 5 hours of traffic. Be it in Southern California, New York, or Hell. People aren't going to do it regularly... even for an "event" like going to see the team that shat on their city (or more likely going to see one of the teams playing them to root against the team that shat on their city).

And Brian, I understand you typically make a similar drive in 4 to 4 1/2 hours round trip. But that's also not a short drive you have to admit, and you also admit you tend to time it during more ideal driving times. As I found this weekend, during non-ideal times, which are apparently game times, the traffic is over 3 hours up and in that ballpark coming back. Meaning you're looking at a 5+ hour drive for game times.

If I were to drive straight to Lambeau Field on a non-game day, I'd be looking at a drive of right about 4:20.

On game day, HAHAHAHAHAHA in making it round trip in that time.

I don't miss a game.

5 hours+ round trip on game day 8 times per season is not a problem IF you want to go to the games.

It's where I sit.

29 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If I were to drive straight to Lambeau Field on a non-game day, I'd be looking at a drive of right about 4:20.

On game day, HAHAHAHAHAHA in making it round trip in that time.

I don't miss a game.

5 hours+ round trip on game day 8 times per season is not a problem IF you want to go to the games.

True. But most San Diegans wouldn't want to do that. Since the team isn't representing them anymore and told San Diego to get bent because they're "Fighting for LA" now (for 4th place behind USC, UCLA and the Raiders).

11 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

True. But most San Diegans wouldn't want to do that. Since the team isn't representing them anymore and told San Diego to get bent because they're "Fighting for LA" now (for 4th place behind USC, UCLA and the Raiders).

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I think it's pretty dangerous to use the Packers as a standard.  Comparisons to pretty much any other team fall apart quickly.

Oh, i know the ground on which I tread.  However, flat out saying that a 5+ hour drive invalidates the ability to go to a game can also fall apart quickly.  So saying that 'people aren't going to do it regularly' isn't due to the drive time, it's due to getting shat on. Those are two entirely different things.

No, I don't expect NEARLY any San Diegans will attend games for the LA Chargers - but it isn't due to the drive, it's due to getting crapped on by the team.

It's where I sit.

10 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

True. But most San Diegans wouldn't want to do that. Since the team isn't representing them anymore and told San Diego to get bent because they're "Fighting for LA" now (for 4th place behind USC, UCLA and the Rams).

Fixed that for you. The raiders are a very vocal minority, the Raiders fan presence here has never been very big outside of one part of city. The cowboys probably even have a larger fan base than the raiders do. 

uig7aiht8jnpl1szbi57zzlsh.gif4jzjfvwxifvemelyh9xjbnyr4.gifefvfv5b5g1zgpsf56gb04lthx.gif594153172016.gif

Kershaw is GOD! Kershaw is LIFE! Kershaw is ALL!

27 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Oh, i know the ground on which I tread.  However, flat out saying that a 5+ hour drive invalidates the ability to go to a game can also fall apart quickly.  So saying that 'people aren't going to do it regularly' isn't due to the drive time, it's due to getting shat on. Those are two entirely different things.

No, I don't expect NEARLY any San Diegans will attend games for the LA Chargers - but it isn't due to the drive, it's due to getting crapped on by the team.

1*zlgzhq_b_HMZOe_I19jMGw@2x.jpeg

Archived