2020 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LV

canzman

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

I hate friggin mono everything!!  Mono blue mono black mono white mono orange etc.  Wear a color jersey (or white jersey if you are an away team) and a different color pants.   Not that hard is it.

I don't mind same-color jersey and pants, bit the key really is different colored socks. With contrasting socks, the leotard look doesn't happen and the color block is broken up. Bonus points if the socks have stripes.

the user formerly known as cdclt

4 hours ago, orangefaniniowa said:

I hate friggin mono everything!!  Mono blue mono black mono white mono orange etc.  Wear a color jersey (or white jersey if you are an away team) and a different color pants.   Not that hard is it.

I am just curious and not criticizing anyone as everyone is entitled to their own opinions but why do so many have an issue with mono football looks but no one seems to complain about them in basketball, hockey or baseball, as every NBA combo is mono and the majority of primary looks in the MLB and NHL are mono too? 

2 minutes ago, QCS said:

I don't mind same-color jersey and pants, bit the key really is different colored socks. With contrasting socks, the leotard look doesn't happen and the color block is broken up. Bonus points if the socks have stripes.

This.

I dont hate the concept of mono, I hate when the pants and socks match. Especially stripeless, and especially white.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 minute ago, canzman said:

I am just curious and not criticizing anyone as everyone is entitled to their own opinions but why do so many have an issue with mono football looks but no one seems to complain out them in basketball, hockey or baseball, as every NBA combo is mono and the majority of primary loocs in the MLB and NHL are mono too? 

I guess I am a traditionalist.  Yes I know NBA and NHL has mono, but they have done so for plenty of years and does look fine on television and in person.  I'm just used to not seeing mono in the NFL until several years ago.  I was more of a fan of the unis 20 years ago because it looked good and more I can say professional when it was just one color jersey and a different style of pants, and I don't mind mono white because it was traditional (Dolphins, Vikings, Browns, etc.), but doesn't mean I am a huge fan of it.  That is the reason why I adore the uniforms of the Packers, Chiefs, Raiders, Bears, Colts, Steelers, etc. because they kept it traditional with the exception of a color rush game every now and then.

18 minutes ago, canzman said:

I am just curious and not criticizing anyone as everyone is entitled to their own opinions but why do so many have an issue with mono football looks but no one seems to complain out them in basketball, hockey or baseball, as every NBA combo is mono and the majority of primary loocs in the MLB and NHL are mono too? 

Like orange said, it's tradition, especially in basketball and baseball, to use same-color uniforms. In baseball the color came from the socks and cap while in basketball the striping and massive lettering is where the color is. Hockey is slightly different as mono-white usually doesn't work well but every other color does. Additionally, when the pants and socks are the same color on a football uniform, it looks like the pants have just extended to include the sock area. As long as those two contrast, the uniform, as blocks of color, will look nice. I personally am also not the biggest fan of having the same color helmet, jersey, and pants, but as long as the socks contrast it's not awful.

In fact, one of my biggest gripes with modern-day baseball jerseys is how only about 10% of players actually show their socks, creating the same issue same-color pants and socks in football does, which is a lack of effective color blocking.

From a football stand point if we are being honest most franchises only had one pant for many many years and it was normally white so mono white was very common for a lot of teams if not most as they really had no other option when going with the white jersey. So I guess if it is just a tradition thing the majority of people just have issue with mono color when it comes to football.

5 minutes ago, canzman said:

From a football stand point if we are being honest most franchises only had one pant for many many years and it was normally white so mono white was very common for a lot of teams if not most as they really had no other option when going with the white jersey. So I guess if it is just a tradition thing the majority of people just have issue with mono color when it comes to football.

You're right about mono-white, that's pretty common. Again, the sticking point is socks: if the socks are the same color as the pants, it looks bad. It's not effective color blocking and this is true for any era of football. It's simply related to how different sports have different aesthetics.

11 hours ago, gothedistance said:

I looked back on other games besides when the Titans got the current set in 2018. They wore all white with the previous set for a few games from 2014-2016. In 2014 Tennessee wore all white at the Colts and at Cincinnati. In 2015 they wore them when visiting the Jets. In 2016 they wore them at Houston. So it looks to me like the all white combination are reserved for games on an artificial turf. Who can blame them? White pants are more easy to stain than darker colors.

Besides Houston and Indianapolis, the other candidate for the all white to appear is at Baltimore. The Ravens very likely could wear black pants when the teams play. So Tennessee will want to wear pants that are contrasting, they've been good about this unlike some other teams.

This probably explains why Tennessee doesn't use the white pants in Nashville.

1 hour ago, NFLfan10 said:

Falcons confirm black on black once again. Unreal. The red stripe on the pants would pop so much more with the white pants, Maybe we'll see that look Week 5 vs. Carolina...

You aren't going to see the white pants until you see them with the white jersey.

2 hours ago, canzman said:

Much like mono is the accepted aesthetic in baseball and basketball, mono white is the accepted aesthetic in football. It really isn't that hard to understand. If NFL teams had introduced mono color BEFORE college teams did it, it would have seemed less like chasing a trend, and potentially would be more accepted among some than it is.

There's also the fondness for how we remember things from when we were younger. Someone who is as old as I am now 40 years from now will likely not have my distinction of what the football aesthetic is, and will likely not have this aversion (assuming the mono color continues).

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, canzman said:

Like others have said the basic look of each look was set. Its why those gold top black shorts Wizards alts from years ago were not liked. So tradition of the set basic aesthetic.

That being said, mono white i consider as a standard traditional look as a good portion of the league up until the last 20 years wore white on white.

While mono color isn't my particular cup of tea, it can be tolerable if a few boxes are checked off. Contrast sock color/sock stripes, and has to have striping. 

The real issue is so many teams going mono with stripeless pants and same colored socks. Both the Ravens and Saints previously had good looking striped black pants. Theres no reason for them to not wear that look.

If I heard right from earlier, the Falcons won't be matching black jerseys and and white pants, or white jerseys and black pants, together. Right? Atlanta has red pants. What about that?

The Bucs are wearing pewter to go against the Broncos orange. Could Tampa have worn the pewter for any of the other road games? And what is it about teams wearing their colors against Denver's orange jersey? 

I don't know how the league is going to allow the Rams bone uniform and Buccaneers pewter uniform to be displayed, when that game takes place later this season. I think it's going to be a mess IMO.

28 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Like others have said the basic look of each look was set. Its why those gold top black shorts Wizards alts from years ago were not liked. So tradition of the set basic aesthetic.

That being said, mono white i consider as a standard traditional look as a good portion of the league up until the last 20 years wore white on white.

While mono color isn't my particular cup of tea, it can be tolerable if a few boxes are checked off. Contrast sock color/sock stripes, and has to have striping. 

The real issue is so many teams going mono with stripeless pants and same colored socks. Both the Ravens and Saints previously had good looking striped black pants. Theres no reason for them to not wear that look.

Many cite tradition and I see what people are saying but what establishes tradition? Is it what was used first or what had been used longest? Your two examples of the Ravens and Saints while striped black pants were used first the stripeless ones have been used longer. Saints had stripes black for 10 years they then went away completely. They reintroduced black pants with the stripe for one season then went stripeless. So that is 11 years striped to 16 years with stripeless black. The Ravens had just 2 season with striped black pants and have had 16 years with stripeless. So what establishes tradition?

52 minutes ago, canzman said:

Many cite tradition and I see what people are saying but what establishes tradition? Is it what was used first or what had been used longest? Your two examples of the Ravens and Saints while striped black pants were used first the stripeless ones have been used longer. Saints had stripes black for 10 years they then went away completely. They reintroduced black pants with the stripe for one season then went stripeless. So that is 11 years striped to 16 years with stripeless black. The Ravens had just 2 season with striped black pants and have had 16 years with stripeless. So what establishes tradition?

In this case, though, the aesthietic of tradition isn't established by one team. It is established by the leauge as a whole. As a whole, the aesthetic of football was dark top at home, white top on the road. If you only had one set of pants, they were light colored (white, yellow, silver, gold). Therefore the tradtition wasn't mono color.

It's where I sit.

Archived