MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

Honestly, I like the Mets black jerseys as I said. Fully prepared to admit it's just me, and I love the royal against the black.

Is this an unpopular opinion? Likely. Is it likely that it is a terrible uniform that I just love? 

Also, the current blue alts look AWFUL. The grey lettering is horrific.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/8/2020 at 8:33 AM, kevinmets said:

Worth noting: new Mets owner Steve Cohen asked Mets fans on Twitter: "I would love to hear your ideas to make YOUR Mets experience better.

At least one fan requested, among other ideas, for the Mets to bring back the black jerseys.  Cohen's reply: "All reasonable thoughts"

And despite how they're perceived on this forum, there has been growing fan & player support in recent years for the Mets to bring them back. As long as it's just an occasional alternate (and none of the extra drop shadows on every other jersey) then I'm all for it.  Nothing wrong with nostalgia + increased sales revenue.

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, ptaylor said:

For YEARS, this place screamed for the Mets' black jerseys and caps to be kicked to the curb. And now, because of boredom or something, we suddenly want them back?? After they made the World Series in their classic unis too. I'm scratching my head. 

It’s the generation of Met fans watching them as kids now all grown up feeling nostalgic.

XM4KeeA.png

12 hours ago, ptaylor said:

For YEARS, this place screamed for the Mets' black jerseys and caps to be kicked to the curb. And now, because of boredom or something, we suddenly want them back?? After they made the World Series in their classic unis too. I'm scratching my head. 

"this place"

"we"

Maybe not a smart idea to use those words in posts.  Making generalizations is never a smart dea.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I never hated the black for the Mets per se as black goes well with blue and orange. But the Mets became more of a black and blue team with some orange. It was my same argument with the original black alternate for the Flyers. The black became the dominant color. 

8 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I presume you are talking about the road blue alts, not the home ones? The latter ones look fine, but the former shouldn't exist.

Yup, the road ones. I like how the home alts look a lot(for an alt). Road would look good if they took the same theory and put it in the New York script for the road.

5qWs8RS.png

5 hours ago, insert name said:

It’s the generation of Met fans watching them as kids now all grown up feeling nostalgic.

That makes sense. That is mostly likely the case, which I will not mock.

And nothing beats nostalgia....heck, even the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes were feeling nostalgic for a rather, um, interesting design.

I was in high school when the Mets went black. I remember watching a game at a friend's house after school, and all of us thinking the Mets black hat and jersey were just about the coolest thing we had even seen in baseball.

This was also the same time Yankees fashion hats became a thing. People remember Fred Durst's red hat, but there was a time when seeing a yellow/purple/green Yankees hat was new and exciting, and not something that felt like it should be allowed.

The black Mets hat was the first time I thought the Mets did something cooler than the Yankees.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I personally despise every bit of black in the Mets uniform history but if any of you want it back then so be it but the second someone asks for these back I'm done because to me this was the very definition of crossing the line on BFBS...

Game Wrapup | Oakland Athletics

Give me that jersey as a Pirates jersey and I'd love it.

5qWs8RS.png

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I was in high school when the Mets went black. I remember watching a game at a friend's house after school, and all of us thinking the Mets black hat and jersey were just about the coolest thing we had even seen in baseball.

This was also the same time Yankees fashion hats became a thing. People remember Fred Durst's red hat, but there was a time when seeing a yellow/purple/green Yankees hat was new and exciting, and not something that felt like it should be allowed.

The black Mets hat was the first time I thought the Mets did something cooler than the Yankees.

I can see this argument for fashion merchandise but once it becomes on field stuff it just crosses the line. My kid wore a bright green Marlins cap for a few years because green is his favorite color and the cap looked cool on him as a personal fashion choice but I would have died to see the Marlins wear it on the field. The Mets black jerseys and caps were all cool for Mets fans to wear to hang out but to have the Mets wear those on the field was a travesty and a slap in the face to the beautiful blue and orange of Mets history.

Uggggh...   I want to say so much about the discussion on Cleveland, but the last time we had a civil conversation on this topic it all got excised for breaking board rules.   I can't believe this one went on as long as it did without it all disappearing like so much dust in the wind.

As for the name, what's the deal with copyright across sports?   I know there's a bunch of teams grandfathered in, but I don't know how petty teams get between sports.   If there was no such problem with it, my choice of the existing options would be the Cleveland Blues.   It's a name used by three iterations of Cleveland baseball across three different leagues.   It can play off the city's musical heritage.   It befits a charter American League franchise.   It can use the existing color scheme and look.   It's inoffensive.   I think it rolls off the tongue well.   It doesn't overlap with any rivals (such as Blue Sox would), and in fact plays well as an opposite to the team across the state.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, slapshot said:

I don't know why, but the three-stripe headspoon looks much busier on the red and blue alternated than it does on the white and gray jerseys. Single-color piping allows the wordmark to stand out more on the alternates rather than blending into the trim.

When the two red alts were posted side-by-side, I thought it was to show "we did tri-piping already on the red and it looked terrible".   The white is kinda jarring and I actually think the single piping makes the alts look much better and cleaner.   The two dark colors look good on neutrals, but white is a bit overpowering in my opinion.

On 11/9/2020 at 1:05 PM, Brian E said:

that's a great parallel: the black marlins jerseys. obviously, i have no sentimental attachment to those (except for the fact that i jumped up and down like an idiot because you guys beat the yankees in that WS). and even though you cherish their place in marlins history, you don't either. but undoubtedly, some marlins fans do. that's mets fans and the black unis. clinched the '00 pennant and the '06 division in them. people immediately think of piazza when they come up.

i guess my only quibble is that i don't think the black jersey looks *that* bad. when blue is used liberally on the patch, sleeves, and socks to pop color in, i think one could even argue it's a nice change of pace (if used sparingly):

Pitcher Rick Reed of the New York Mets in action during a game... Photo  d'actualité - Getty ImagesMets most amazing trades to bring a first baseman to Flushing - Page 3

Bleh.   I'm in favor of a once-a-week alt, but these pics look terrible.   They should be a night-only alt and never see the light of day.   They look so much better under the lights.

119843882.jpeg

I'd say racing stripe Sunday alt.   Black Friday nights, perhaps.   Pinstripes for the rest.   Like how the Mets uniform has been often said to  meld the three existing New York teams.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:14 PM, ptaylor said:

Eh, it's a one-night alt.   As long as it doesn't go beyond that and black doesn't get on any other uniforms.   Oh, and kill the away blue alt.   Everybody agrees the silver looks terrible.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived