New CFL Uniforms & Logos 2023

Wackyriderfan14

On 8/10/2021 at 12:27 PM, dont care said:

spacer.png

this is my favorite logo of theirs

I actually like really like the "boat" and "warrior" logos but always thought letters in logos should  represent the city and not the nickname, especially if the symbol reppin' the nickname is already there. Wonder how both logos would look like with a "T" instead of an "A".  

37 minutes ago, Est1980 said:

I actually like really like the "boat" and "warrior" logos but always thought letters in logos should  represent the city and not the nickname, especially if the symbol reppin' the nickname is already there. Wonder how both logos would look like with a "T" instead of an "A".  

It would look like this…spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jer15 said:

I don’t think it looks ridiculous at all. 

now if the boat had a face and was smiling or angry…sure that’d be real stupid. 

Here’s the cool thing about the Argos; they have a whole catalogue of nice logos. Som prefer Jason with the shield (I admit I was one of those until I hit my 30s). 
the shield is a bit less “gimmicky” and it’s nice too. 
i like the football boat because of the teams roots of being a secondary activity the rowing team did to stay in shape in the off season. 

as a result, at least in my opinion, you can’t really go wrong

I'm sorry, but it doesn't get much sillier than a sailboat shaped like a football with oars coming out of it laces. It  crossed the line of ridiculousness without having to add a smiley face.

I have no issue with the use of a boat as the basis of a logo. And if that's a cool part of their history, then that's a good reason lean into that theme. But there has to be a more dignified way of doing it.

That logo might be a charming relic from the archives, but that's where it should stay. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I have no issue with the use of a boat as the basis of a logo. And if that's a cool part of their history, then that's a good reason lean into that theme. But there has to be a more dignified way of doing it.

I was a fan of the boat in this alternate Argonauts logo.

spacer.png

In my opinion, the word mark could certainly use work.  I could also see swapping out the maple leaf on the sail for the Argos' traditional A. That said, I was always disappointed that this logo wasn't a more prevalent part of the Argonauts' "Boatman" identity package.

Now, whether something akin to this boat - albeit, without the word marks and waves - would work as a stand-alone helmet logo for the Argonauts is open to debate. I offer it up simply as a jumping-off point, as I believe it illustrates that the team could certainly center its identity around the visual depiction of a sailing vessel... and one  that didn't replace the ship's hull with a football.    

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I don’t think there’s any confusion over that point.  It it doesn’t make the boat with a football as a hull look any less ridiculous on their helmets.

The style of boat is accurate to the sort the mythical argonauts would have used and it's a football because they play football. 
It's fine. We should be allowed to have whimsy in sports. Like a football boat, or a smiling dolphin wearing a helmet. Not everything has to be fierce and serious. 

The 90s Jason logo that was posted recently? Yeah it's aggressive. It's also every 90s "redesign" in one. Snarling mascot, too many outlines, too much shading, teal for no reason. Too much faux aggression. 

14 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I think the oldest team in North America should have a simple, timeless logo. The A shield was that imo, the boat was not. Even if it might be older.

The A shield came from the Jason logo though. So try as I might I can't see it as this stand-alone classic-style mark. I just see part of a bad 90s redesign that they wouldn't let die. 

If you're going to go the "oldest team in North America/simple and classic" route then you either need to go with the boat logo (the team's first helmet logo) or a simple standalone "A" like they used from '66-'76 and '91-'94. 

8 hours ago, Est1980 said:

I would normally agree but the Argos have been using an A monogram since the 1960s. If not earlier. The team, dating back to the 1870s, identified as ARC (Argonaut Rowing Club) Football Club. So they have a long history of emphasizing the A over the T.  

The only time they actually had a logo that included a callout to Toronto was the short-lived "we wanna be the New York Giants" logo from the late 80s/early 90s that included a "TORONTO" wordmark. And even that was tiny compared to the "ARGOS" wordmark. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, dont care said:

It would look like this…spacer.png

Ha! Aww, I was hoping for an actual rendering  of the actual logo with a T but I can picture it. Tennessee could claim the "T" is for both "Tennessee" and "Titans" which in my world is the exception to the rule. 

15 hours ago, IceCap said:

The A shield came from the Jason logo though. So try as I might I can't see it as this stand-alone classic-style mark. I just see part of a bad 90s redesign that they wouldn't let die. 

If you're going to go the "oldest team in North America/simple and classic" route then you either need to go with the boat logo (the team's first helmet logo) or a simple standalone "A" like they used from '66-'76 and '91-'94. 

I'm not saying it has to be a logo already explicitly from their history, just be one that doesn't look lost outside its era.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chromatic said:
22 hours ago, IceCap said:

I'm not saying it has to be a logo already explicitly from their history, just be one that doesn't look lost outside its era.

I don't think the boat logo looks lost. Again, we should be open to some whimsy in sports. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delicate Genius said:

Also, not sure if it was pointed out, but the Elks didn't get new pants this year. The Eskimos logo is still on the upper right leg.

They are keeping the EE logo around as a secondary.  I hope next year, (or within the next couple of years) they actually make more changes to the uniform.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, M4One said:

They are keeping the EE logo around as a secondary.  I hope next year, (or within the next couple of years) they actually make more changes to the uniform.  

The logo on the pants is the Eskimos' version of the EE logo (white letters, drop shadow, green oval). The Elks have an EE logo, but the letters are slightly modified and changed to yellow, and the oval/shadow were dropped.

3 hours ago, Delicate Genius said:

The logo on the pants is the Eskimos' version of the EE logo (white letters, drop shadow, green oval). The Elks have an EE logo, but the letters are slightly modified and changed to yellow, and the oval/shadow were dropped.

My mistake.  I guess they either don't think anyone would notice, or maybe there is a bigger change coming next year, so let's just use the same pants for now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M4One said:

My mistake.  I guess they either don't think anyone would notice, or maybe there is a bigger change coming next year, so let's just use the same pants for now.

I would guess, considering the relatively recent and quick rollout of their new look, that they're just using the uniforms they had planned to wear in 2020.  Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing about these uniforms that's specifically "Elks" branded. I've assumed from the start that they're just using their prior equipment, but changed the helmet design. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I would guess, considering the relatively recent and quick rollout of their new look, that they're just using the uniforms they had planned to wear in 2020.  Unless I'm missing something, there's nothing about these uniforms that's specifically "Elks" branded. I've assumed from the start that they're just using their prior equipment, but changed the helmet design. 

The "Edmonton" wordmark on the front of the jerseys is also from the Eskimos era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delicate Genius said:

Needs more stripes.

• Like 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The light blue pants for the Argos makes the uniform much more tolerable. If they're gonna keep the bland blue jerseys, I hope this combination becomes the home default instead of monochrome blue uniform. I'm looking forward to seeing these paired with the white jerseys since that should be a good look. I think the Labour Day Classic would be a good time to try that out.

On 8/17/2021 at 5:42 PM, IceCap said:

I would normally agree but the Argos have been using an A monogram since the 1960s. If not earlier. The team, dating back to the 1870s, identified as ARC (Argonaut Rowing Club) Football Club. So they have a long history of emphasizing the A over the T.  

Just to add to this. Another factor was that there were multiple football clubs in Toronto competing in various leagues up until the 50s/60s. So there weren't the Toronto club, they were a Toronto club.  But, they were the Argonaut club. So, "A" logos.

• Like 5

I want to like the new Cambridge blue pants…I just don’t. 
It just feels weird and I can’t explain why. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)