2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

Do Gorton's Fish Sticks not exist in this alternate timeline? 

Also- you're forgetting one thing. The stupid wavy name and numbers that conformed to the stupid wavy stripes. That was a step too far even by whacky 90s design, and worse than anything any of the other sweaters you listed included.  

Yeah, I'm putting those with in the "90s best to be forgotten about bin", along with Calgary and STL going weirdly diagonal and the Burger Kings. I might grant an alternate timeline where the Isles successfully integrate teal into their scheme

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Yeah, I'm putting those with in the "90s best to be forgotten about bin", along with Calgary and STL going weirdly diagonal and the Burger Kings. I might grant an alternate timeline where the Isles successfully integrate teal into their scheme

The thing with the Fisherman is that it can't really work. 

Even IF they only used it as an alternate...

Even IF they restrained themselves with the striping and numbers...

...you'd still have opposing fans chanting "we want fish sticks!" every time they wore them. So the concept is DOA unless you also erase Gorton's Fish Sticks from the timeline as well. 

But I do like the idea of teal being worked into the Isles' identity. My urge to get back to concepts is rising...

18 hours ago, Discrim said:

I haven't worn a snapback regularly since I was a high school freshman (and that was an old Brewers gold-front cap I got at Value Village).  I don't miss wearing them.  Or trying to wear caps backwards either, given about the only adultwho looks good in a backwards cap is Ken Griffey Jr.  As you can probably tell, I am not Junior.

I dunno. I've never seen you and Junior in the same room. Frankly, you'd be unlikely to admit it if you WERE him.

😅😅😅😅

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

The reason I think the neon green alternate is a meme jersey is because...well...the Stars have embraced being a meme franchise. It started with internet snark invading their jumbotron graphics. And evolved into them being one of the first pro teams to go full internet humour/meme culture on social media.

Okay I get where you're coming from I think. I had forgotten about the corny jumbotron memes. Fair enough, that's a good point

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Okay I get where you're coming from I think. I had forgotten about the corny jumbotron memes. Fair enough, that's a good point

I played on my high school's hockey team. Our colours were red, white, and grey. One of my friends on the team once said "we should have neon green and black alternates." I asked why and he said, I'm not joking, "they'd be sick."

I can't help but think of that when I see the neon green and black Stars sweaters.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I played on my high school's hockey team. Our colours were red, white, and grey. One of my friends on the team once said "we should have neon green and black alternates." I asked why and he said, I'm not joking, "they'd be sick."

I can't help but think of that when I see the neon green and black Stars sweaters.

lmao well you can't really expect normal people who don't post on this board to have good taste in sports uniforms when even some posters on this very board liked the Stars neon alt! But then again, what do we know, we're just two whiny and out of touch millennial boomers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

lmao well you can't really expect normal people who don't post on this board to have good taste in sports uniforms when even some posters on this very board liked the Stars neon alt! But then again, what do we know, we're just two whiny and out of touch millennial boomers

The thing that I'm really bummed about is that this meme where the team is putting out "Hat" hats for their "Jersey" jersey and the goalie getting a "Mask" mask is that the higher quality joke of "Jersey of the Channel Islands gets a NHL team" gets lost in the shuffle.

The Duchy of Normandy suffers another indignity 😔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Best alternate they've had, yes.  I would give anything to see a modern version of the storm alternate.

17 hours ago, gsn93 said:

I'm probably on a island all by myself on this one, but the storm Lightning jersey is the best jersey they ever had. One of my favorites from back in the day. Wouldn't want it as a full time home and road set though, but it was nice as a every-once-in-while way.

How about those?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

lmao well you can't really expect normal people who don't post on this board to have good taste in sports uniforms

First thing I thought of was the Ottawa Senators with their disappointing logo update.

152.gif

2111292021.gif

45 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

What do you mean?

Sens should have made better updates to the logo like the Sabres did.

---

The Sharks are heavily rumored to return to their roots as well. If they do, they need to take notes from the Sabres, Padres, Brewers, Buccaneers, and Chargers. IMO, there a right and wrong way to make a traditional-inspired uniform look appealing at the same time.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

I completely understand where you're going with this, but I think it's a swing and miss simply because the design inspiration is obviously the Dallas skyline. The neon green skyline concept has been on the table forever, and the team finally went forward with it. Can't see it having anything to do with embracing meme culture.

And for what it's worth, I still maintain the Stars used too bright of a neon green and should've gone with thin piping as opposed to the thick stripes. I'm baffled by many of the striping design choices on most of the recent Adidas alternates.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Sens should have made better updates to the logo like the Sabres did.

---

The Sharks are heavily rumored to return to their roots as well. If they do, they need to take notes from the Sabres, Padres, Brewers, Buccaneers, and Chargers. IMO, there a right and wrong way to make a traditional-inspired uniform look appealing at the same time.

Gotcha, yeah I agree

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bmac said:

I completely understand where you're going with this, but I think it's a swing and miss simply because the design inspiration is obviously the Dallas skyline. The neon green skyline concept has been on the table forever, and the team finally went forward with it. Can't see it having anything to do with embracing meme culture.

The whole team, outside of the actual coaches and players, have embraced meme culture. 

And that "Dallas Skyline" stuff sounds like design speak for me, where they try to shove as many "references" into a uniform or logo as possible. And it's always lame. 

The whole thing just seems like "the focus groups told us the kids would like it" to me. 

And hey if that's what they want to do all the power to them I guess. I'm just over all the "this is a reference to that!" design-talk that has infested the sports logo and uniform scene. 

• Like 1

Just watched the penguins who debuted the new alternate. It’s just a black version of the white reverse retro. I’m underwhelmed. It’s not as nice as the regular blacks, it’s redundant to have two blacks, and whoever made the decision to drop the golden triangle on the skating penguin on this, the reverse retro, and the gold alternate deserves to have their food from the microwave piping hot on the edges and stone old in the middle.

KISSwall09.jpg

17205032.jpegspacer.png

Eh, I always thought the skyline reference was a pretty direct one, but to each their own.

I like the blackouts as an alternate, but I'd never want them to be the primaries or worn in a playoff series. I think the Stars' biggest problem is that their primary logo isn't all that great. The D and the star and all the beveling just doesn't mesh all that well together.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 2:45 PM, Digby said:

Hand up, I've started to come around a bit on the pedestal jerseys. The pedestal ruins it, but I don't think it's a bad jersey minus the pedestal (you know, just take out the most prominent feature).

I first noticed the Flames selling this hat a couple years ago and that's the only current pedestal stuff around but I haven't noticed this year if it's still in the store at the Saddledome. It's still available online though for what that's worth.

1017205_head_1800x1800.jpg?v=1570116937

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

The Coyotes wore their red alternates which were last year’s uniforms tonight against the Flyers. Such an interesting thing to have them still in use, completely different logo set and all. I liked that look overall and found it professional, if not a little boring. Not a big fan of the black sleeve panels, but they weren’t a deal breaker. But I get the desire to bring back the kachinas considering they never were able to grab a foothold other than those uniforms. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.