2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Exactly. However, the Reverse Retros look 100% better.

spacer.png

Never cared for the gradient. If the green on the torso were below the white stripe like if the burgundy were below the silver stripe in the original third, that would be a very beautiful jersey, regardless of the crest.

4 hours ago, Sport said:

The Lightning should be the Chargers of the NHL and I don't know why they're not. Other than their pants stripe they remain committed to being a more boring and ripped off version of the Leafs. I don't get it. I don't like the nickname on a jersey, but actually using lightning bolt imagery to decorate the sweater is a step in the right direction. 

the SMASHVILLE jersey might be the worst NHL uniform this century. 

This century?! It could be the worst ever! It breathes the same rarified air as the Burger King, the Buffaslug, and the Mooterus, and is a good bit worse, IMO, than Pooh Bear or Wild Wing. It is “Smashville” - immediately notorious enough to be identified by a nickname. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

Before these dropped the BASS podcast was going to do an All-Time Big Four Alternate Jersey Hall of Failure, so I've been looking up some of the worst thirds in sports history, and I mean, I don't know how I don't give it to this.

I mean this is probably the worst:

0414-atl-3rdretire.png

Then there's this guy:

canucks3(1).jpg

And these:

ny_g_islanders_cr_576.jpg

But I feel like those are even mildly superior to the Smashville disgraces.  It's a close thing.

I don't think the Cancuks are nearly as bad as the other two. I'd throw the DALLAS Edge jerseys in the mix even if they weren't technically an alternate (Although I think the White version was originally). And also there's this:

090413_sabresjersey.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Yeah, at least with the fisherman they were trying to be original and were creative with the logo & striping, It was obviously a jarring change from what they wore before, which is the main reason it was so hated. 

The Preds just took their Winter Classic design, made the base blue, and tried to come up with a more "bold" wordmark for the chest stripe.

The idea was to reference vintage country music posters like this with the font:

spacer.png

I get the thinking, but the execution is awful. Yes, the posters used mis-matching fonts, but not in the same word.

Might want to do the research on that again, and use actual Hatch prints as reference lol.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Just a giant swing and miss from idea to execution on the Nashville sweater.    Just because Nashville has some weird font posters that doesn't mean it will translate well to an NHL sweater...  

Someone along the way had to see that it wasn't working and change direction....  

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

This poster was super popular back in 1995-96 for the Avs:

ewHwRzM.png

So I created the next Avs alternate!  The clipped heads much remain to keep it true to the original.

hvcoXWu.png

Brilliant! Great job!

39 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Since when is a poster a good idea for a jersey?

Did I say that?

Someone said they don’t mix different letters in the same word when setting wood type, which is false.

But what the heck, I’ll bite: a poster is a good idea for a jersey when your city is well known for its show posters and the most famous show poster print shop on Earth is located a half-block from your front steps (inside the Country Music HOF & Museum lobby).

• Like 3

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Has the team acknowledged the Hatch Show Print influence formally? That's the kind of obscure local reference detail to make the NBA City Edition proud. Can't blame Nike for this one! Should've screenprinted the jersey then, the effect is lost with the medium.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Did I say that?

Someone said they don’t mix different letters in the same word when setting wood type, which is false.

But what the heck, I’ll bite: a poster is a good idea for a jersey when your city is well known for its show posters and the most famous show poster print shop on Earth is located a half-block from your front steps (inside the Country Music HOF & Museum lobby).

So it was taken as the inspiration…

14 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It's the worst NHL sweater in history in my opinion. I can't think of a worse one. 

Somebody already posted the Buffalo two-tones in this thread, so there you go.

I don't think these Nashville jerseys are good by any stretch, but I think I hate the Tampa jerseys more.

• Like 1

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

1 minute ago, -kj said:

Somebody already posted the Buffalo two-tones in this thread, so there you go.

I'll take the two-tone Buffalo sweaters. They didn't give me a visceral feel of discomfort like these Nashville sweaters do. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Digby said:

Has the team acknowledged the Hatch Show Print influence formally? That's the kind of obscure local reference detail to make the NBA City Edition proud. Can't blame Nike for this one!

THIS THIS THIS

As @andrewharrington said, Hatch Show Print is within spitting distance of Bridgestone Arena. And yet for whatever reason, the Predators did not reveal the sweater at HSP or mention them by name in any press/social release. They didn't even use a country track for the initial unveiling video! It's like if the Nets had released their City Editions last season without mentioning Basquiat, or the Sounders not playing any Hendrix when they revealed their purple kit.

Should've screenprinted the jersey then, the effect is lost with the medium.

Correct. The effect looks okay on the "PrEDs" collar mark, but it does not translate to a cut-and-sewn crest. HSP style is more than just goofy font. They overlay colors (like that Ringo poster), always look somewhat distressed due to the wood blocks, and they very, very, VERY rarely print on a primarily dark background like navy blue. The Preds have the perfect base in their gold for a HSP-inspired sweater, and they decide now is the time to attempt the navy jersey a large number of fans have wanted as a regular alt for a decade.

Would've been better off sublimating HSP-style words and graphics into the gold stripe and doing a two-color tiger head or guitar pick for the crest. This solid color block approach just does not translate at all.

I swear, this freaking team makes it so hard to be a fan sometimes. I'm just glad it doesn't say "SMasH VegAS."

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

So it was taken as the inspiration…

Rather obviously.

42 minutes ago, Digby said:

Should've screenprinted the jersey then...

Could you even imagine the amount of negativity that would have unleashed? 😂

• Like 1