2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

3 hours ago, VikWings said:

Is the NHL becoming the NBA now?

Well, everyone with a blue check on Twitter who acknowledges hockey has begged for it to be. The NHL didn't realize what people really meant was to, like, play Kendrick Lamar during stoppages and make players hurt each other's feelings on Instagram.

This uniform causes Deep Hurting, where it's extremely upsetting on a level you can't even pinpoint. The only other instance of Deep Hurting in recent memory was New York Knicks City Never Sleeps. 

• Like 5

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

This uniform causes Deep Hurting, where it's extremely upsetting on a level you can't even pinpoint. The only other instance of Deep Hurting in recent memory was New York Knicks City Never Sleeps. 

Thank you! That's the term I was looking for.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I agree the Wild’s Winter Classic sweater is amazing, perfectly matching the 1930’s aesthetic they were going for. 

I think the Jersey Jersey is by far the worst jersey released this year, with the Smashville one a close second. It’s just too tacky with the name on the front. As for the Bolts, sure it’s pushing the envelope just a little bit, but it’s the stadium series, it’s fine for that game. I mean neither are the worst Stadium Series jerseys either. We had the Avalanche wearing bibs remember? 

And aesthetically, nothing has been as bad as the Thrashers red alternate…

The Lightning NEED to push envelopes with their design. They’ve been extremely successful of late in bland, generic uniforms. 

• Like 1

All the Predators had to do was just stick their primary logo on the front and they would have a perfectly fine jersey. Their logo pops extremely well on a navy jersey. They keep fumbling their overall branding over the past decade. Their rebrand from 2011 even with the Reebok template piping was probably the best they ever look and they keep plucking away at it. They just needed a navy third jersey companion.

The Lightning jersey doesn't look that bad. I'll prefer their primary logo on the front, but the "Bolts" mark is serviceable. Nice to see them use silver.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

My point is that the Smashville script ruins an otherwise perfectly fine and traditional hockey jersey with horizontal striping. If they had released the same exact jersey but with their regular logo on it, do you think it would have been so poorly received? Not a chance

I disagree.  Having traditional, horizontal striping alone does not equal a good jersey... 

Do designers even bother with the striping anymore?   How many recolours & slight variations of this tired template are we going to see passed off as something new...  There are many things you can do with horizontal stripes, just look at the league in 1991.  Would it kill them to put in some effort?

2cJUsxM.jpg

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Okay, who is the paste-eater that thought putting Smashville on a jersey wouldn’t be cringe on the level of the Gordon’s Fisherman Isles jersey?

Does this mean people born right now are going to be clamoring for the Preds to bring back the Smashville jerseys in 20 years?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Does this mean people born right now are going to be clamoring for the Preds to bring back the Smashville jerseys in 20 years?

Give it twenty-four hours. Someone will """bravely""" say they like it, and accuse everyone else of "groupthink."

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Okay, who is the paste-eater that thought putting Smashville on a jersey wouldn’t be cringe on the level of the Gordon’s Fisherman Isles jersey?

I mean, at least those have a "so bad, it's good" quality to them to salvage things. These are just...oof. There's nothing really redeeming about them besides "hey look, we did a navy jersey".

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

I disagree.  Having traditional, horizontal striping alone does not equal a good jersey... 

Do designers even bother with the striping anymore?   How many recolours & slight variations of this tired template are we going to see passed off as something new...  There are many things you can do with horizontal stripes, just look at the league in 1991.  Would it kill them to put in some effort?

2cJUsxM.jpg

Agreed. To be fair, earlier in the thread I described the template as slightly boring ahah.  But I mean I still prefer basic/boring to offensively ugly and wacky Stadium Series style

• Like 1