2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

20 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Not as repetitive as having the same logo on all three jerseys, in my opinion.

The diagonal PITTSBURGH wordmark differentiates the alternate enough. 

Not disputing any of those points.  I just think that as long as the Skating Penguin is on the front of the main jerseys, a shoulder patch on an alternate shouldn't be looked at as some sacrilegious thing...  Especially since it was on the jersey they're throwing back to to begin with. 

I think it's a matter of philosophy. Are they wearing it to honour the 90s team? If so then they should have the robo penguin on there. If they want this to be a part of the brand going forward, though, it makes sense to use the primary logo instead of the robo penguin. 

They never won anything in powder blue or navy and they used those as alternates for years.

It was the mid 2000s and double blue was in. Not just in the NHL, but across sports. The Penguins just so happened to have throwbacks to cash in on it all. 

There's a reason they don't wear double blue throwbacks  anymore. That trend died out. 

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

https://www.nhl.com/devils/news/a-new-era-dressed-in-black--feature/c-328227424

I can tolerate a certain amount of marketing-speak, but this explanation is just way too much. Do people in NJ really care that there are 21 stripes for 21 counties, or that they're gonna wear it 13 times in honour of Nico Hischier? 

Somehow they have been working on it since 2018, and this is the best they could come up with. The VP of Marketing even says this:

When you start off by saying, "our fans didn't necessarily want this", maybe you didn't go into this with the right attitude.

The marketing speak on this is such a joke. The laces represent Martin Brodeur? 

Ffffffffff offfffffffff

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

lol what? That script is so so bad

So so bad? I think you're overreacting. It's just a simple cursive script. Generic or boring maybe, but I don't see how it could be considered inherently bad. Maybe Devils would have been better than Jersey? Either way, it's the extremely derivative and mostly black and white jersey that is the main problem to me. How hard was it to take their Brodeur or Christmas era jersey and swap red for black?

spacer.png

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

So so bad? I think you're overreacting. It's just a simple cursive script. Generic or boring maybe, but I don't see how it could be considered inherently bad. Maybe Devils would have been better than Jersey? Either way, it's the extremely derivative and mostly black and white jersey that is the main problem to me. How hard was it to take their Brodeur or Christmas era jersey and swap red for black?

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is no design to that script.  Its a basic "script" font that doesnt look great as a crest.  Look at the two other sweaters you posted, they both use crests not fonts.

• Like 3

If I didn't know any better I'd 100% assume that was one of those wholesale blanks from the Blackhawks' WC jersey, adapted for a men's league team of proud New Jersey expats.

I kinda like the drop-shadow number treatment at least, for something fresh.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, njdevs7 said:

What are the stripes? "Homage to the Newark Bulldogs" Why? A team that played one season in 1928?  They have no significance whatsoever. I have never heard one Devils fan or hockey fan in the area ever mention them. 

I'm curious how many Devils fans and even hockey fans in general heard about Bulldogs before Jersey unveiled jersey? I bet it was a very, very small percentage.

4r2eer.png

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I'm curious how many Devils fans and even hockey fans in general heard about Bulldogs before Jersey unveiled jersey? I bet it was a very, very small percentage.

The same amount that will've heard of the WHA, the NHA or teams like the Quakers or Bulldogs nowadays, probably. A lot of non-NHL hockey history is considered "obscure" by popular standards, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not worth throwing back to and celebrating.

The real problem is more that the Devils half-assed it both ways, so it's neither a proper throwback jersey for the historical crowd nor is it particularly interesting to the people who wanted a black alternate for the Devils. Instead of pleasing both, they pleased neither.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Looks like the Kings are going purple and gold for warmups with a wordmark tommorow during practice. Hopefully that's a sign of things to come color-wise?

The image comes from the Kings Care Foundation store, so I have to assume it's legit.

I wouldn't read too heavily into the colour choice of a warmup jersey. 

• Like 1

The Devils could've done a straight color swap to a black base of any jersey in their history since they moved to NJ and no one would have complained. Instead they came up with that over-designed mess and the cringe marketing speak with it.

I think the only script as crest NHL jerseys I've ever liked were the recently retired Aviator blue Jets ones and the old green alts the Wild used to have.

• Like 4

I feel like this jersey for New Jersey is trying too hard. 

The script isn't bad for merch, but doesn't work for a jersey at all. The shadows on the numbers and script being the logn bit of red doesn't work either. It's a poor attempt at a fauxback to a team that nobody cares about, and it looks too similar to jerseys other team have worn rather recently. 

All they had to do if they wanted a black jersey was take the RR and make it black. That's it. 

• Like 1

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The script isn't bad for merch, but doesn't work for a jersey at all. 

That might be their exact line of thinking.  "It sucks for on-ice sweaters, but if we do it, we'll sell a shat ton of t-shirts and hoodies".  It's sad, but I bet that line of thinking factors into a lot of questionable on-ice / on-field / on-court designs.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."