2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

For '92-'93, the Penguins should have stuck grey/silver in between the gold and white as a dual Steel City/Stanley Cup reference and kept the skating penguin. I was never crazy about the diagonal lettering the way a lot of other people were. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

49 minutes ago, QCS said:

This Robo-Pen erasure is a travesty and the team removing the logo, especially on the Reverse Retro, is a real shame. Where are the record book purists on this?

I'll get outraged when they start photoshopping historical photos 😛

• Like 4

11 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

In other, less disappointingly bland news...

The Isles are gonna be wearing these patches for the rest of the season after their home opener tonight. I don't like the way the design makes it look like it's the Isles' inaugural season instead of the arena's, but the design itself is pretty solid.

I agree, the fact that the arenas name is located nowhere in the patch makes it look like the islanders inaugural season. Also the patch is just not visually appealing with the arenas exterior that no one actually knows what it looks like unless they have been there before.

Should the Robo-Pen have replaced the Skating Penguin as the primary logo?  No...  But I'll never understand why it can't be an alternate logo, much less a shoulder patch on an alternate jersey...

Why this team feels it needs to erase this logo from its history is perplexing...  It's just a more realistic take on their iconic 'penguin-in-triangle' concept with a neat visual-representation of Pittsburgh's three rivers.  It does exactly what a good alternate logo should do.  Takes the basic concept of the primary in a different visual direction while offering something new.

Should have kept it on the shoulders ;).

• Like 13

I'd never understand why Lemieux has aversion to RoboPen since it's a perfect alternate logo but iirc he had problem with athletic gold too (correct me if I wrong).

At least this jersey is almost amazing compare to Jersey which is far from it.

4r2eer.png

7 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

Should the Robo-Pen have replaced the Skating Penguin as the primary logo?  No...  But I'll never understand why it can't be an alternate logo, much less a shoulder patch on an alternate jersey...

Why this team feels it needs to erase this logo from its history is perplexing...  It's just a more realistic take on their iconic 'penguin-in-triangle' concept with a neat visual-representation of Pittsburgh's three rivers.  It does exactly what a good alternate logo should do.  Takes the basic concept of the primary in a different visual direction while offering something new.

I'm not so sure about saying the same thing two different ways. It's a problem I have with the Sharks right now. The primary is their familiar shark logo. The secondary is now a different kind of shark logo, one that could readily flip with the primary (and many people here have said it should. I disagree). It doesn't support the primary the way the isolated fin did, or the way some roundel with California and a star over the Bay Area would. Having both triangle penguins would be saying "Pittsburgh Penguins" twice. The ideal secondary for the Pens is either the city flag or city seal on one shoulder or none at all.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

It feels repetitive though. 

And I feel like people dislike the robo penguin because it 1) replaced a logo associated with back to back Cups and 2) it was associated with a downturn in franchise history, both on the ice and financially. 

Then they went back to the skating penguin and won some more Stanley Cups. 

Like it or not one logo is associated with the franchise winning and one logo...isn't. 

• Like 3

Yeah, the Robo-Pen was the work of three-time failed owner Howard Baldwin, insisting upon a "new era" after the team won back-to-back with what the DeBartolos built. It's not great.

• Like 4

I have a soft spot for the robo-penguin mostly because of that wacky asymmetric alternate being an early awakening to design for me. And in a vacuum it's a nice attempt at fitting into the NHL tradition of modernist logos. (I also kind of like said wacky alternate of the time.) But the classic abstract-ish NHL logos weren't ever replacing something equal or better in terms of design and on-ice performance, that I can think of, so it's hard to make the case that it's "right" for Pittsburgh.

I do think it's odd to make that inconsequential change if they're bringing back the diagonal lettering jersey, but I also think it's weird to bring that back from the start.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Digby said:

I do think it's odd to make that inconsequential change if they're bringing back the diagonal lettering jersey, but I also think it's weird to bring that back from the start.

I'll go to bat for that jersey. I always liked it. 

As for the logo...I think it depends. Is the purpose to be a limited time throwback specifically to honour something or someone from the 1992-97 teams? If so yeah, include the robo penguin for accuracy. 

If this is supposed to be a full-time alternate? Then using the logo the team is currently using makes sense. 

• Like 1

So, from what I've been hearing from various places that leak isnt exactly correct.

Shoulder patch is the triangle less penguin, rather than the full primary.

EDIT: Sourcing it from both r/HJ Discord people and a friend of mine whose mother works at pensgear.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

55 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

So, from what I've been hearing from various places that leak isnt exactly correct.

Shoulder patch is the triangle less penguin, rather than the full primary.

EDIT: Sourcing it from both r/HJ Discord people and a friend of mine whose mother works at pensgear.

So…it’s a colored version of the white reverse retro from last year? Understandable, but also very boring and redundant. Also, I despise the triangle less penguin cause not only does it add color to a black and white penguin, it actually represents the city. Oh well, it could have been something horrible like that New Jersey leak.

KISSwall09.jpg

7 minutes ago, hormone said:

So…it’s a colored version of the white reverse retro from last year? Understandable, but also very boring and redundant. Also, I despise the triangle less penguin cause not only does it add color to a black and white penguin, it actually represents the city. Oh well, it could have been something horrible like that New Jersey leak.

SO, i like it here. PITTSBURGH on the front, a penguin on the shoulder. I'm a fan of it in this specific context.

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske