2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

Yeah the shoulder patches were great. Looking back on the jerseys without them, they just look like something is missing.

Also, I feel like the jade stripes on the pants and jade fingers and thumbs on the gloves are severely undervalued and underappreciated. The solid eggplant (03-06) and solid black gear (97-99) really brought down the overall look of the uniform

• Like 1

I thought the Ducks jerseys improved with the patches, but I like shoulder patches, it fit the brand, and gave the team another logo to use other than the primary logo

The 97-99 years are probably my favorite for the Ducks. I really liked all four jerseys., though the black equipment was a downgrade from the eggplant.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The old black-with-eggplant thirds with the Anaheim script are one of those rare ones (along with the Minnesota Wild script) that makes me think a baseball script can work on a hockey sweater. Then the Ducks wordmark era right after that makes me not think that anymore.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Your Sens have gold on the logo but nowhere else on the uniform. The Blackhawks and Wild have like 32 combined colors on theirs logos that aren't found anywhere else on the jersey and they're routinely considered some of the best logos in hockey. The 90s Ducks, Sharks, Coyotes and Panthers are all uniforms that a LOT of people like and have the same "problem". You can probably even include the original Thrashers jerseys on that list, I think a fair amount of people would say they were nice uniforms

Why does it not make sense exactly? I think the gray triangle in particular makes perfect sense. I've seen plenty of Starter jerseys from the 90s that had the jade triangle and it didn't look all that good. Again, the Leafs and Flames flip their logo colours on their jerseys and nobody seems to mind?

The Mighty Ducks jerseys from 1996-97 and 2000-03 were absolutely perfect and I will die on that hill lol

Yes, the Sens & Hawks have some extra colours in their logo, but they still have black & red in there. The gold/green/blue/etc. are there to compliment the primary colour scheme, not compete with it. As for the Panthers, I think the best thing about the reverse retro was that the shade of gold they used actually matched the logo.

The Mighty Ducks logo was missing the team's primary & tertiary colours altogether, on top of including two colours that weren't used anywhere else on the uniform (not counting the brief black equipment period). It felt like the logo & uniform were designed separately, then got thrown together.

The Leafs & Flames flip the logos because the primary one matches the colour of the home jersey. The jade triangle doesn't get lost on an eggplant background the way a red flaming C gets lost on a red background. 

This concept shows what I'm thinking of, and imo it looks much more coherent.

spacer.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Digby said:

The old black-with-eggplant thirds with the Anaheim script are one of those rare ones (along with the Minnesota Wild script) that makes me think a baseball script can work on a hockey sweater. Then the Ducks wordmark era right after that makes me not think that anymore.

The black and eggplant thirds was a textbook case of using an alternate to workshop what they future identity would be. 

It was also a fine uniform in its own right and could have been a great basis for a post-Disney/jade identity if it didn't ape the Los Angeles Kings' then-current colour scheme. 

• Like 4

Not specifically for the Ducks, but I could see it from the OG movie, there is a missing Green and Gold color scheme in the NHL right now. Before the Seattle Kraken brand was unveiled, I played around with two color schemes in NHL 19, the first being a Dark Green and Salmon (based on the Sockeyes name), and the second being Green and Gold with an "Astros" theme. The Gold and Green with some black accents really popped, and is a missing spot in the league. So is purple, but that's a Kings problem. I don't have any concepts to share, but some Ducks wore some unis on Adidas' Template to a game last year. 

Anaheim Ducks on Twitter: "Looking for more Mighty Ducks merch? ➡️  https://t.co/fQJ6i6o4qW… "

• Like 1

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

The Ducks just need to pick a lane.  If you're going to use the D foot, fine, but get your :censored: together otherwise.  Everything they are right now is a brand salad topped with bad 2010-ish uniform trends.  The Capitals aren't far behind with the same sins.

• Like 6
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

16 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Yes, the Sens & Hawks have some extra colours in their logo, but they still have black & red in there. The gold/green/blue/etc. are there to compliment the primary colour scheme, not compete with it. As for the Panthers, I think the best thing about the reverse retro was that the shade of gold they used actually matched the logo.

The Mighty Ducks logo was missing the team's primary & tertiary colours altogether, on top of including two colours that weren't used anywhere else on the uniform (not counting the brief black equipment period). It felt like the logo & uniform were designed separately, then got thrown together.

The Leafs & Flames flip the logos because the primary one matches the colour of the home jersey. The jade triangle doesn't get lost on an eggplant background the way a red flaming C gets lost on a red background. 

spacer.png

I get where you're coming from on most points and it mostly boils down to personal preference imo so let's just agree to disagree

The concept you posted shows why the black background is absolutely necessary on the eggplant jersey to me. I hate using "pop" lol but the logo just doesn't pop. Looks muddy to me and frankly it has that concept quality to it where it's not that it doesn't look good on paper but I think it would be underwhelming in real life. I find it hard to put it into words but it looks like a concept, if that makes sense lol. I have to say that the eggplant and silver version works better than I thought on the white jersey though. But was it absolutely necessary to remove golden yellow from the logo? The jersey looks really cold and lifeless without it

4 hours ago, CS85 said:

The Ducks just need to pick a lane.  If you're going to use the D foot, fine, but get your :censored: together otherwise.  Everything they are right now is a brand salad topped with bad 2010-ish uniform trends.  The Capitals aren't far behind with the same sins.

The caps get a pass in my books because despite looking dated, it's still simple and coherent.

11 minutes ago, Patchey13 said:

The caps get a pass in my books because despite looking dated, it's still simple and coherent.

Eeeeh, I mean...it's hardly "coherent" to have random white strips on the arms, no hem striping and no arm striping beyond the pinstripes that are just holdovers from the Reebok Edge dark days. The Sens ditched their fugly Reebok Edge designs for a reason.

The RR proved that Washington looks a hell of a lot better in a more traditionally-styled jersey than the Edge mess they have now.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Not specifically for the Ducks, but I could see it from the OG movie, there is a missing Green and Gold color scheme in the NHL right now. Before the Seattle Kraken brand was unveiled, I played around with two color schemes in NHL 19, the first being a Dark Green and Salmon (based on the Sockeyes name), and the second being Green and Gold with an "Astros" theme. The Gold and Green with some black accents really popped, and is a missing spot in the league. So is purple, but that's a Kings problem. I don't have any concepts to share, but some Ducks wore some unis on Adidas' Template to a game last year. 

Anaheim Ducks on Twitter: "Looking for more Mighty Ducks merch? ➡️  https://t.co/fQJ6i6o4qW… "

These need to be Anaheim's alternate jerseys. Or at least an annual one-off game, a-la Blues 90's Night.

• Like 3

Ignore the odd Vegas color matchup, but like this is an awesome color scheme to start with if they want to go full do-over and different, (While still having a reason with the OG Ducks uniforms)

And FWIW, I like the webbed D logo, but just the logo part, not the wordmark on the jersey.

Wild's aggressive forechecks, solid goaltending make for stingy penalty  kill | Grand Forks Herald

• Like 1

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Eeeeh, I mean...it's hardly "coherent" to have random white strips on the arms, no hem striping and no arm striping beyond the pinstripes that are just holdovers from the Reebok Edge dark days. The Sens ditched their fugly Reebok Edge designs for a reason.

The RR proved that Washington looks a hell of a lot better in a more traditionally-styled jersey than the Edge mess they have now.

Agreed. Washington is one of the worst looking teams in the league currently IMO. Which is sad because they have some killer jerseys and logos in their history. 

• Like 5

On 11/3/2021 at 4:58 PM, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

Yes, this is what they need to do.  I might put the webbed "D" inside the oval on the shoulders rather then repeat the same  logo again.  I also think I would stay with the eggplant pants.  Otherwise this combines every era and fixes many mistakes creating one perfect package...

• Like 2

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

On 11/4/2021 at 8:39 AM, flyersfan said:

19 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

These need to be Anaheim's alternate jerseys. Or at least an annual one-off game, a-la Blues 90's Night.

spacer.png

• Like 7

22 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Ignore the odd Vegas color matchup, but like this is an awesome color scheme to start with if they want to go full do-over and different, (While still having a reason with the OG Ducks uniforms)

And FWIW, I like the webbed D logo, but just the logo part, not the wordmark on the jersey.

Wild's aggressive forechecks, solid goaltending make for stingy penalty  kill | Grand Forks Herald

It could look great, but I think the University of Oregon would have a case to oppose it as a strong west coast sports brand that’s been using green and gold for decades.

• Like 4

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 11/4/2021 at 9:12 PM, CS85 said:

100%. I can't stand the webbed D anywhere near the original Ducks uniforms, it looks awful. They're 2 completely different design styles.

• Like 1

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Unless the Ducks are going to go back to the eggplant and jade, which I'm sure we would've gotten some indication of by this point, they need to promote the orange alternate to primary and make a road version. It's the best of both worlds.

Lean into the orange, black and gold. It's different enough from the Flyers' orange, white and black.

• Like 5

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)