2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

This wasn't done intentionally to preserve the integrity of the uniform. Not a chance Melnyk would pass up some extra cash in his wallet.

I'm sure the asking price for the helmet ads was too high for a lot of sponsors. Most of them got the helmet real estate for free last year as a make-good for all the cancelled games.

I don't know if this makes sense. 

If Melnyk wouldn't pass up extra cash, then there's no price that's too high, and I don't think the ads were on there for free last year. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

30 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I don't know if this makes sense. 

If Melnyk wouldn't pass up extra cash, then there's no price that's too high, and I don't think the ads were on there for free last year. 

They technically weren't free, but they didn't bring in any extra money to the franchise.

The team's sponsorship agreement with Canadian Tire is contingent on there being 41 home games in the building with their name on it. Because they had to cancel games last season, the team would have had to pay a portion of the sponsorship revenue back to Canadian Tire. In order to avoid paying them back, they offered complimentary helmet ads to even things out.

• Like 3

Only because it's apropos of the recent Anaheim discussion...

I'm sitting in a pizzeria, 3,000 miles from Anaheim, waiting for a few slices. I peek out the window and I notice a van with familiar jade and eggplant colors, along with the duck mask. Definitely caught my eye. Turns out, it was some construction company, and I want to say it was something like "Mighty Decks." I laughed to myself, thinking of this recent topic. But it definitely happened. 

There's clearly some brand equity to the original look and feel.

• Like 6

On 10/23/2021 at 3:08 AM, PlayGloria said:

I forgot about those... Those are nice. 

I could see an argument that maybe the Sharks should have a sweater a little more "untraditional" than this one, since they were a product of the 90s. But this is sharp. Very balanced.

Just way too much going on. 

• Like 2

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:08 PM, PlayGloria said:

I could see an argument that maybe the Sharks should have a sweater a little more "untraditional" than this one, since they were a product of the 90s

Their original 90s jerseys were pretty traditional, colours aside. 

Those were also their best jerseys. 

• Like 5

And of course not only do I have to watch my team play like ass but I also have to watch them lose against a team that LOOKS like ass lol

If anyone keeps track of that kinda stuff, is it me or do teams really like to wear their crappy 3rd jerseys when they play Montreal? More visibility maybe? Does that also happen to the Rangers and Leafs a lot?

The only issue I have with the Sharks' "Stealth" jerseys is how goddamn minimalist they are. They've got the same issue as the rest of their jerseys, where there's just nothing happening on them. I can excuse the teal-only color scheme since it is an alternate jersey, after all, and the circuit board pattern is pretty cool, but they're just so boring.

The Sharks' whole identity pisses me off. They have so many options and opportunities to be an exciting, modern, and unique brand, yet they choose the most boring designs possible.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

The Sharks' whole identity pisses me off. They have so many options and opportunities to be an exciting, modern, and unique brand, yet they choose the most boring designs possible.

Losing stripes makes them go faster, so they have to lack stripes! 😛 Don't look at all those striped teams that are doing pretty well, the Sharks clearly go faster without them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

The only issue I have with the Sharks' "Stealth" jerseys is how goddamn minimalist they are. They've got the same issue as the rest of their jerseys, where there's just nothing happening on them. I can excuse the teal-only color scheme since it is an alternate jersey, after all, and the circuit board pattern is pretty cool, but they're just so boring.

Meh. Stealth jerseys CAN look good, and really it's just a matter of opinion anyway. But they're also objectively lazy and trendy and it's so typical of the NHL that they would jump on the "murdered out" bandwagon 10 years past its peak in pop culture popularity lol. And then again, it's the third boring/minimalist black Sharks alternate, so it's kinda their thing now

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Losing stripes makes them go faster, so they have to lack stripes! 😛 Don't look at all those striped teams that are doing pretty well, the Sharks clearly go faster without them.

Ah yes, what this thread needed was another sTrIpEs ArE hEaVy joke

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Meh. Stealth jerseys CAN look good, and really it's just a matter of opinion anyway. But they're also objectively lazy and trendy and it's so typical of the NHL that they would jump on the "murdered out" bandwagon 10 years past its peak in pop culture popularity lol. And then again, it's the third boring/minimalist black Sharks alternate, so it's kinda their thing now

Ah yes, what this thread needed was another sTrIpEs ArE hEaVy joke

You keep using the word “objectively” and I don’t think you know what it means. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dont care said:

You keep using the word “objectively” and I don’t think you know what it means. 

Are you telling me the stealth jersey trend isn't actually a trend and that it takes a lot of effort and skill to just come up with a dark jersey with minimal or no white on it?

Objectively speaking, in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions, it's clearly a trend and it probably won't last much longer, as with all trendy things that come and go. This has nothing to do with my own belief that these jerseys often suck

If a good stealth jersey is devoid of white, can I interest you in this?

P0.jpg

• Like 13
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

9 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Are you telling me the stealth jersey trend isn't actually a trend and that it takes a lot of effort and skill to just come up with a dark jersey with minimal or no white on it?

Objectively speaking, in a way that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions, it's clearly a trend and it probably won't last much longer, as with all trendy things that come and go. This has nothing to do with my own belief that these jerseys often suck

Yes because what’s a trend to one person can be new and unique to another. Also calling something lazy isn’t objective at all. For something to be objective it needs to be quantifiable because numbers can’t be influenced by opinion.

Saw this in a twitter comment.  Why does this exist?

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

40 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Saw this in a twitter comment.  Why does this exist?

I'm not sure why the Hawaiian tribal Sharks logo exists, but the upside-down 8 on the back makes my eyelid twitch.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Well based on your definition, the Kraken home jersey falls under the 'stealth' category. They put a lot of time into the design, and I'd expect it to stick around for a while.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Well based on your definition, the Kraken home jersey falls under the 'stealth' category. They put a lot of time into the design, and I'd expect it to stick around for a while.

To be honest, I do find that jersey a bit underwhelming lol. It's very dark, which I know is kind of the desired effect, but still. I know, hot take. I much prefer their road uniform. I wouldn't call it a stealth jersey though cause there are too many colors and it's not exactly minimalist or lazy. What I mean by lazy is in the Sharks, Oilers, Flyers and Stars (I could maybe even add the Canes to that list) case, just take the regular logo and remove as much white as possible, make the jersey striping as minimal as possible, maybe use some hollow numbers if you really wanna make it as repulsive as possible and of course, use the darkest color in your palette as the base of the jersey. There you go, stealth jersey, any team can do it. No effort needed and you can definitely spot some common themes and they were all introduced recently, so it IS a trend. The only one I wouldn't call lazy cause it's innovative in its own right, is the Lightning's storm jersey. But it also looks like dog poop so nice try, I appreciate the intent but I don't have anything nice to say about that jersey other than that.

But in general, this is a good example of why I often think road jerseys look better than their home counterpart. I'm not a huge fan of home jerseys with no white on them. They often look gorgeous in person but muddy and drab from a distance imo(Kachina, early 00s Kings and Canucks, Kraken etc)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Haven't the Sharks done a handful of warm-up jerseys with local artists/stores over recent years? Is it not one of those?

From what I saw of that guy's account I think he custom makes all of these, but I could be wrong.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

6 minutes ago, CS85 said:

From what I saw of that guy's account I think he custom makes all of these, but I could be wrong.

Just looking it up now, from what I gather, the logo is one of those Sharks collaborations with a local tattoo artist and a clothing store but wasn't an actual jersey. The jersey is a custom the guy made using that logo.

IbjBaeE.png