2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

Perfect looking jersey. The logo isn't great, but it doesn't bother me when they Sharks look this nice. Unfortunately nothing has even come this close since.  Yes, I also really dislike the orange. It cheapens the look IMO.

spacer.png

• Like 4

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

17 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Other than the Samuelis, does anyone else in the whole wide world prefer the webbed D to the classic logo? lol

I can count myself in the minority there, I guess. I always liked the webbed-D for its simplicity - I think in terms of logo it's just a better and cleaner design (now if you want to talk about jerseys, that's a different story... nothing on the ice with the D ever quite looked right, the Mighty Ducks era was clearly better for uniforms).

A lot of people like the Mighty Ducks logo for the same reason I actually dislike it... it's very dated, very 90s, but not in a way that looks good or timeless to me... it just reminds me of the Disney movies and I think something that belongs on an AHL jersey, not the professional big leagues...

*sits back and waits to have rocks thrown at him*

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ricky_Roby said:

I can count myself in the minority there, I guess. I always liked the webbed-D for its simplicity - I think in terms of logo it's just a better and cleaner design (now if you want to talk about jerseys, that's a different story... nothing on the ice with the D ever quite looked right, the Mighty Ducks era was clearly better for uniforms).

A lot of people like the Mighty Ducks logo for the same reason I actually dislike it... it's very dated, very 90s, but not in a way that looks good or timeless to me... it just reminds me of the Disney movies and I think something that belongs on an AHL jersey, not the professional big leagues...

*sits back and waits to have rocks thrown at him*

I actually agree with this. I've always thought the webbed-D logo was a pretty clever design that says Ducks without having to resort to a cartoon. 

My only issue with it is its shape. It's angled sort of upward as if it's ascending, just like the wordmark from which it's based. Because of that, it feels unbalanced to me and isn't as commanding of a presence as a jersey crest the way it might were it straightened and made more symmetrical. 

I don't mind the Mighty Ducks logo, but I agree that it's very much a product of its time. Then again, I thought the same about the Coyotes' Kachina design, and here we are. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Bayne said:

Perfect looking jersey. The logo isn't great, but it doesn't bother me when they Sharks look this nice. Unfortunately nothing has even come this close since.  Yes, I also really dislike the orange. It cheapens the look IMO.

spacer.png

the white jerseys are damn near perfect in my book, the sleeve pattern is distinctive and vibrant and the font works very well with the rest and the general vibe of the franchise. the dark jerseys are nearly there just need to remove the black teeth/side panels on the front that muddy up the jersey and are entirely superfluous

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I actually agree with this. I've always thought the webbed-D logo was a pretty clever design that says Ducks without having to resort to a cartoon. 

My only issue with it is its shape. It's angled sort of upward as if it's ascending, just like the wordmark from which it's based. Because of that, it feels unbalanced to me and isn't as commanding of a presence as a jersey crest the way it might were it straightened and made more symmetrical. 

I don't mind the Mighty Ducks logo, but I agree that it's very much a product of its time. Then again, I thought the same about the Coyotes' Kachina design, and here we are. 

spacer.png

The Webbed D had the problem of being the sequel to one of the most iconic logos in the sport, which is why I don't think it's ever really caught on.

If the Ducks had come out of the gate with a logo of that design, it could have staying power...but following up the iconic crossed sticks and duck mask with a wordmark and then an oddly-shaped D...well, it's not exactly flattering to the team's design work that they keep needing to throw back to the MD era in logo and/or colors to create uniforms generally considered among the best in the NHL in a given season (25th anniversary, orange third, RR).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, riccirulesall said:

the white jerseys are damn near perfect in my book, the sleeve pattern is distinctive and vibrant and the font works very well with the rest and the general vibe of the franchise. the dark jerseys are nearly there just need to remove the black teeth/side panels on the front that muddy up the jersey and are entirely superfluous

The teal jersey actually just needs that black side stripes to mimic the back of the sweater where it was much more like a shoulder yoke. 

http://nhluniforms.com/Sharks/Sharks03.html

The other thing that always bothered me about this set is the lack of black on the whites socks. 

Fix those two things and it’s golden. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, EddieJ1984 said:

March 5, 2011; San Jose, CA, USA; San Jose Sharks center Jamal Mayers (10)  warms up before the game against the Dallas Stars at HP Pavilion. Dallas  defeated San Jose 3-2 Stock Photo - Alamy

This was the best they looked imo.

I forgot about those... Those are nice. 

I could see an argument that maybe the Sharks should have a sweater a little more "untraditional" than this one, since they were a product of the 90s. But this is sharp. Very balanced.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

According to CoolHockey, the Canucks will be wearing the Spaghetti Skate jerseys at some point this season.

Those jerseys look gorgeous on the Primegreen template.

I was way too young to know or care at the time--I just remember some guy named Pavel Bure who eventually found his way onto the then-expansion Florida Panthers--but does anyone know the reason the Canucks originally switched to this out-the-box look in the first place??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I was way too young to know or care at the time--I just remember some guy named Pavel Bure who eventually found his way onto the then-expansion Florida Panthers--but does anyone know the reason the Canucks originally switched to this out-the-box look in the first place??

The marketing firm they hired thought their blue and green was too boring and wanted something aggressive and bold.

Their first product of the rebrand was the Flying V, so that should tell you how well that firm knew hockey. 😛

6 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

March 5, 2011; San Jose, CA, USA; San Jose Sharks center Jamal Mayers (10)  warms up before the game against the Dallas Stars at HP Pavilion. Dallas  defeated San Jose 3-2 Stock Photo - Alamy

This was the best they looked imo.

I hate those jerseys irrationally.  Technically it's just a basic hockey template so it's not objectively bad or anything, and with Reebok we all know it could have been a thousand times worse with piping or just random blocks of color or incomplete stripes. Still,

The front numbers sucked

The custom block font sucked

Orange sucks, should have been silver

The new shade of teal was a slight downgrade

15 years later and the logo still hasn't grown on me

The white jersey was slightly better. But like O.C.D. said above, the jerseys were so generic it just didn't feel like the Sharks anymore.

This is what I meant by "could have been worse" (save for the logo, of course ;^))

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Patchey13 said:

The jersey looks much more blue there than I remember it.

It's the lighting. They were much greener in person

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

The teal jersey actually just needs that black side stripes to mimic the back of the sweater where it was much more like a shoulder yoke. 

http://nhluniforms.com/Sharks/Sharks03.html

The other thing that always bothered me about this set is the lack of black on the whites socks. 

Fix those two things and it’s golden. 

keep the black on the back yoke and add black to the white socks, agreed.

the black on the front/sides needs to go, maybe add a white stripe to the pattern to match the whites? the white stripe on the reverse retro looked nice even though it was playing off a grey base as opposed to teal

8 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The Webbed D had the problem of being the sequel to one of the most iconic logos in the sport, which is why I don't think it's ever really caught on.

If the Ducks had come out of the gate with a logo of that design, it could have staying power...but following up the iconic crossed sticks and duck mask with a wordmark and then an oddly-shaped D...well, it's not exactly flattering to the team's design work that they keep needing to throw back to the MD era in logo and/or colors to create uniforms generally considered among the best in the NHL in a given season (25th anniversary, orange third, RR).

Really? I get that it came from the movie, but does anyone ELSE think this is true?

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

21 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Really? I get that it came from the movie, but does anyone ELSE think this is true?

Well, considering it's been over a decade since the team last had it as a primary and whenever the topic comes up, people are still saying they should bring it back full-time and multiple players have said they outright prefer the Mighty logo to the current logo...it's clearly pretty damn iconic to have still endured as "the" look for the team in spite of so long not being so. Mighty stuff always sells well, too, that's why they keep on making it despite their reluctance to go back.

It's one of the logos most people will know when you ask them about hockey logos, even if they're casual fans of the sport, as "The Ducks". The Webbed D, in all of it's time as the primary logo of this franchise, hasn't really gained that kind of traction.

• Like 2

Just now, Ridleylash said:

Well, considering it's been over a decade since the team last had it and whenever the topic comes up, people are still saying they should bring it back full-time and multiple players have said they outright prefer the Mighty logo to the current logo...it's clearly pretty damn iconic to have still endured as "the" look for the team in spite of so long not being so.

It's one of the logos most people will know when you ask them about hockey logos, even if they're casual fans of the sport, as "The Ducks". The Webbed D, in all of it's time, hasn't really gained that kind of traction.

That it is liked by people doesn't make it iconic. That's not what that word means.

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

15 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

That it is liked by people doesn't make it iconic. That's not what that word means.

Funny, here's the definitions of "iconic", according to Merriam-Webster;
"1: of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an icon
2a: widely recognized and well-established
an iconic brand name

b: widely known and acknowledged especially for distinctive excellence"

I'd say the Mighty Ducks logo is widely recognized, well established and widely acknowledged for distinctive excellence. That would, in fact, make it iconic.

• Like 5