2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

So is the general consensus that the orange is unnecessary to the Sharks look? 

I actually think the color looks great next to the teal. It's just that, in the current set, it's so underplayed that it seems extraneous. I can see making the case for dropping it altogether. But If I'm being honest, I wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like if orange became a bigger part of the brand.

My biggest issue with the Sharks' original color scheme is that, despite teal being a new-at-the-time trend color for the league, the whole thing felt drab. The brighter teal they're using now certainly helps, but using black or gray as secondary colors just brings it down a notch for me. 

I hate orange for the Sharks, their tertiary color should be silver imo. Doesn't help that the Ducks are currently using orange, even if they should be in eggplant and jade but that's another discussion altogether

And they've darkened the shade of teal not once but twice, the current teal not only isn't brighter than the original but it's too green-ish. The first shade of teal was a little too blue and too light, the first correction in the late 90s was perfect imo. So I'm not sure what you're talking about here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I hate orange for the Sharks, their tertiary color should be silver imo. Doesn't help that the Ducks are currently using orange, even if they should be in eggplant and jade but that's another discussion altogether

And they've darkened the shade of teal not once but twice, the current teal not only isn't brighter than the original but it's too green-ish. The first shade of teal was a little too blue and too light, the first correction in the late 90s was perfect imo. So I'm not sure what you're talking about here

I think this is what I was thinking of when I suggested the current shade was brighter.  I recognize now that it's not necessarily brighter, but to me it at least seems more vibrant. It could be that the addition of orange just makes it seem that way. I just always thought the original teal/gray set was bland. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I think this is what I was thinking of when I suggested the current shade was brighter.  I recognize now that it's not necessarily brighter, but to me it at least seems more vibrant. It could be that the addition of orange just makes it seem that way. I just always thought the original teal/gray set was bland. 

Gotcha. I think you meant "less saturated" as opposed to darker,  but yeah, I agree that the original shade of teal was a little too dull or muted

• Like 1

Maybe it's just the extensive Shark discussion, but I'm not sure I like any of the Sharks jerseys/logos at this point. None of them are very good. The original shark is so wonky that I guess it gives it a little character, but other than that, maybe they would be best to just start from scratch with a teal base for continuity. They are caught somewhere between cartoons and clip art on every logo.

• Like 5

Here is a slightly weird out of the box idea/question regarding the sharks. And maybe there is an answer out there and i just don't know it. Their original colors were teal, gray, and black/white trim.  I would think the shark should be gray? When I think of a shark, I think gray, not black. Plus it would fit with their color scheme. 

That doesn't fix the cartoony-ness of it. But I wonder if it would make both the original and the new logo's look better. 

The original logo always looked like a whale to me and I just realized that its because its black and sort of just a blob. 

4 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

Maybe it's just the extensive Shark discussion, but I'm not sure I like any of the Sharks jerseys/logos at this point. None of them are very good. The original shark is so wonky that I guess it gives it a little character, but other than that, maybe they would be best to just start from scratch with a teal base for continuity. They are caught somewhere between cartoons and clip art on every logo.

What's the general opinion on these? I think they looked absolutely incredible with the swooping arm stripes and especially the early version of the jerseys with the shimmery/dazzle material on the sleeves. The shade of teal was perfect and they had just the right amount of gray/silver. Very fitting look for a 90s expansion team called the Sharks. And they managed not to look like the Flyers in teal. The font was also cool imo.

So were these any good or am I just blinded by nostalgia?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also liked the RR version in gray, save for the back name and numbers that were practically impossible to read from the usual TV broadcast angle and distance

spacer.png

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think this picture really highlights the lack of teal in the logo, being on a grey jersey with the teal and black fighting for secondary status.

Meh. There's barely any red on the Blackhawks logo and nobody seems to have a problem with it. I don't think it's fair to complain about color balance on any RR jersey anyway. The whole point of the RR program was to throw the color balance off

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Meh. There's barely any red on the Blackhawks logo and nobody seems to have a problem with it. I don't think it's fair to complain about color balance on any RR jersey anyway. The whole point of the RR program was to throw the color balance off

Nobody seems to have a problem with the Blackhawks logo barely having any red and that's why I wasn't talking about the Blackhawks logo. I was referring to the discussion from like a page or two back about how that old Sharks logo has barely any teal on it. I also didn't say in my post if I had a problem or not with that Sharks logo having little teal.

And the whole point of the RR wasn't to throw colour balance off.

IbjBaeE.png

5 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Nobody seems to have a problem with the Blackhawks logo barely having any red and that's why I wasn't talking about the Blackhawks logo. I was referring to the discussion from like a page or two back about how that old Sharks logo has barely any teal on it. I also didn't say in my post if I had a problem or not with that Sharks logo having little teal.

And the whole point of the RR wasn't to throw colour balance off.

I'm telling you that the Sharks could use more teal in their logo but obviously don't NEED to, as evidenced by the Blackhawks' logo and uniforms routinely rated a top 3 uniform in the league. Teal isn't the primary color on the RR cause the point was to see what a gray Sharks jersey would have looked like. They promote a tertiary color to the main color and you wonder why the balance is off?

Yes, the point was to say "What if the Habs were a blue first team? What if purple was now the Coyotes primary color instead of a trim color only used in their logo? What if the Blues were the Reds?" Maybe when they pitched the idea to teams and announced the project the main idea wasn't necessarily to reverse color hierarchy, but it's still what ended up happening for most teams. Of course some teams like the Islanders, Rangers and Flames chose not to participate and teams that went with white jerseys or blended different eras made it less obvious but my point still stands, complaining about color balance on RR jerseys isn't fair

5 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Also, not for nothing (because it is really nothing), but in an Athletic fan Q&A out today, Zegras said he prefers the Mighty Ducks logo over the Webbed-D.

Other than the Samuelis, does anyone else in the whole wide world prefer the webbed D to the classic logo? lol

19 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Yes, the point was to say "What if the Habs were a blue first team? What if purple was now the Coyotes primary color instead of a trim color only used in their logo? What if the Blues were the Reds?" Maybe when they pitched the idea to teams and announced the project the main idea wasn't necessarily to reverse color hierarchy, but it's still what ended up happening for most teams. Of course some teams like the Islanders, Rangers and Flames chose not to participate and teams that went with white jerseys or blended different eras made it less obvious but my point still stands, complaining about color balance on RR jerseys isn't fair.

We're just differing on the semantics of "colour balance" because I don't see flipping the primary colour or changing the colour hierarchy being "colour balance". Colour balance, to me, is the balance of colours and their respective usage on a jersey, or logo, in the vacuum of that specific jersey, or logo, and how the amount and placement of the different used colours impact the look of the jersey, not taking a pre-existing jersey and flipping the colours. In my sense, I think you can complain about colour balance on a Reverse Retro because colour balance isn't Blue Canadiens when they're red or Purple Coyotes when they're green or Grey Sharks when they're white, it's how the colours are applied on the Grey Sharks.

Regardless, the point of the Reverse Retros wasn't to throw "colour balance" off, it was to do throwback jerseys with a twist. For most, that twist ending up being changing the colour hierarchy.

25 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Other than the Samuelis, does anyone else in the whole wide world prefer the webbed D to the classic logo? lol

There's a decent amount of people, Ducks fans and otherwise, who prefer the webbed-D.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

43 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

We're just differing on the semantics of "colour balance" because I don't see flipping the primary colour or changing the colour hierarchy being "colour balance". Colour balance, to me, is the balance of colours and their respective usage on a jersey, or logo, in the vacuum of that specific jersey, or logo, and how the amount and placement of the different used colours impact the look of the jersey, not taking a pre-existing jersey and flipping the colours. In my sense, I think you can complain about colour balance on a Reverse Retro because colour balance isn't Blue Canadiens when they're red or Purple Coyotes when they're green or Grey Sharks when they're white, it's how the colours are applied on the Grey Sharks.

Regardless, the point of the Reverse Retros wasn't to throw "colour balance" off, it was to do throwback jerseys with a twist. For most, that twist ending up being changing the colour hierarchy.

There's a decent amount of people, Ducks fans and otherwise, who prefer the webbed-D.

Fine, you're right about color balance being different from color hierarchy but two concepts still go hand in hand

Habs going blue has an effect on both. Red becoming a trim/secondary color changes its hierarchy and throws off the balance since they did not go with red gear to compensate, which was completely intended and not inherently a bad thing of course. Which is my point, you can't complain about color balance OR hierarchy in RR jerseys since in most cases, the teams intentionally messed with those concepts. The Sharks could have went with teal gear to maintain the balance and/or hierarchy but that wasn't the point. Of course both the color balance AND hierarchy are gonna be thrown out of the window when you promote a secondary or even tertiary color in the Sharks or Coyotes' case to primary color

"For most, that twist ending up being changing the colour hierarchy."

Which in turn also changed the color balance/distribution, see what I mean?

All in all, it was just a fun experiment that wasn't meant to last and we're both overthinking it lol. Let's just agree to disagree

4 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Also, not for nothing (because it is really nothing), but in an Athletic fan Q&A out today, Zegras said he prefers the Mighty Ducks logo over the Webbed-D.

I think everyone does besides Ownership, Brian Burke and people who hate Disney.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2021 at 3:56 PM, Ridleylash said:

Eh, I feel like mashing the best of both together produces a more desirable result, personally. There's bits of both that are good; the improved shark on the newer one, the lack of an unnecessary curve on the triangle in the original.

I was never fan of the curved triangle until I realized it makes the silhouette look like a shark tooth.

spacer.png

• Like 5

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Per the Ducks, if (by all the accounts) the owners are big fans of the current colour scheme and have an attachment to their Webbed-D logo, and I'm just spitballing here, what about pulling a Calgary Hitmen circa-2009 to present where the home and away jerseys are the same (you know, minus the colour switch) but the logo placements are different? The full logo is the crest on the white jersey and the shoulder patch for the black jerseys and then vice versa for the mask logo.

2021-Hitmen-Captains-1024x567.jpg

Have the Webbed-D logo as the main crest for the black jerseys with the modern colour Mighty Ducks logo as the shoulder patch and the switch them on the white jerseys. I think that works best with the Mighty Ducks logo already being outlined in black and if the Ducks insist on having that dumb black outline around the logo on the current white jerseys.

As I type this out, I don't think it's a good option for the Ducks (because it's not like the Mighty Ducks logo is an alternate logo, devoid of its own history, that the Ducks created 12  years ago by modifying a pre-existing alternate logo that was created by simply focusing on the most striking part of their primary logo that had been a part of their primary logo ever since the team started) and if anything makes the whole situation worse by not fulling committing to one logo set, but it is an option that's out there. 

IbjBaeE.png