WNBA 2021

On 3/29/2021 at 10:41 AM, DPHF said:

There was also a "Nike Rebel Edition" found, which is apparently like the NBA's City uniform program. It's, um, not as promising.

ExpzxmfWYAALcLE?format=jpg&name=large

And someone else found this Dallas Wings Nike Rebel Edition jersey...

ExmgzJtWQAA-RqT?format=jpg&name=large

The Rebel Editions might turn out to be pretty silly, but I'm choosing to look at the potential bright spots here: fewer ads, less template, and different number fonts.

I like these -- the DAL is much better than the WAS jersey, but this Mystics' jersey has more personality than anything they've worn in years. More improtantly, I'm glad that the league/Nike investing in more distinctive branding. I'm also fine with the branding becoming less connected to these team's "big brother" NBA franchises. 

Can anyone make out the script in the white stripe on the Mystics' jersey? EDIT: thank you to the poster who said it's the text of the 19th Amendment. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/16/2021 at 10:31 PM, sayahh said:

Which reminds me: do you remember the WNBA rival league, the ABL?  They differed in that they used size 7 balls, IIRC.

In the late '80s/early '90s, I remember stumbling across a broadcast of a women's basketball league -- not the WNBA and, if I believe, not the ABL. They played on lower rims (I recall seeing a dunk), and the players wore fitted uniforms with biker shorts. Looking around on Google, it might've been Australia's WNBL. I'm not 100% certain, though. 

That was the Liberty Basketball Association.  According to what I can find, it was one exhibition game and otherwise didn't get off the ground.

Why We Should Seriously Consider Gilbert Arenas's “Sexy” Suggestions |  Sport in American History

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

On 3/15/2021 at 10:51 AM, OnWis97 said:

The XX IIII is brutal.

New uniforms? How are they going even do that given the amount of real estate devoted to ads?

When I wrote this, it didn't even occur to me that they would tone down the ads on the uniforms. But it looks like they are, at least some of the time. Maybe the league realized it watered down the identity too much.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

When I wrote this, it didn't even occur to me that they would tone down the ads on the uniforms. But it looks like they are, at least some of the time. Maybe the league realized it watered down the identity too much.

It almost makes the Seattle change look even worse if it's not going to be used on the uniform like the previous logo was. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

It almost makes the Seattle change look even worse if it's not going to be used on the uniform like the previous logo was. 

I like the new Storm logos, but I was also thinking about their change in light of the apparent new jersey direction. 

The wordmark is maybe the least inspired part of the package, but I figured it'd rarely be used like that so whatever. Now I'm trying to envision it carrying a jersey. The rollout has been classy so far, so I'm hopeful the uniform as a whole will be nice enough to make the wordmark look clean and strong rather than sterile or generic.

1541_seattle_storm-wordmark-2021.png

13 hours ago, -kj said:

That was the Liberty Basketball Association.  According to what I can find, it was one exhibition game and otherwise didn't get off the ground.

Why We Should Seriously Consider Gilbert Arenas's “Sexy” Suggestions |  Sport in American History

Uniforms like that was also used by some NT's on Olympics:

spacer.png

Also don't forget about skirts:

spacer.png

4r2eer.png

On 4/2/2021 at 5:08 PM, pepis21 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Those have to be uncomfortable. I could imagine the wedgie they could create after a jump shot.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 4/2/2021 at 6:08 PM, pepis21 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nike really was trying some crazy stuff in women's athletics in the early 2000's. This is by far the worst offender, as I can imagine they were pretty uncomfortable and probably not in the best taste either. Those fitted uniforms would get immediately shot down today.

I also can't get the image of Cathy Freeman's Sydney 2000 uniform out of my head with this Nike stuff. IDK what Nike's designers were on, but "aerodynamics" does not equal athletic performance, or at least good aesthetic.

3600.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=6ba7e5ba9daee32dc56ed67bbba3d0ec

Anyway, I digress. I didn't know such uniforms existed. Luckily common sense took over rather quickly after.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

9 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Nike really was trying some crazy stuff in women's athletics in the early 2000's. This is by far the worst offender, as I can imagine they were pretty uncomfortable and probably not in the best taste either. Those fitted uniforms would get immediately shot down today.

I also can't get the image of Cathy Freeman's Sydney 2000 uniform out of my head with this Nike stuff. IDK what Nike's designers were on, but "aerodynamics" does not equal athletic performance, or at least good aesthetic.

3600.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=6ba7e5ba9daee32dc56ed67bbba3d0ec

Anyway, I digress. I didn't know such uniforms existed. Luckily common sense took over rather quickly after.

I remember how we went from guys wearing speedos, to full bodysuits and now basically leggings for swimming championships. I don't remember Freeman doing to well in that getup either.

2000 Sydney Olympics:

Swimming - Sydney 2000 Olympics - 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay Stock Photo -  Alamy

2019 Arizona swimming championships

Photos: 2019 Arizona high school swimming championships

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Nike WNBA 2021 Uniform Editions  12

So, do the Indiana teams have a rule that one uniform must be based on TV shows or movies? 

0W0NBR9.jpg

fs0M0Zw.jpg

U0gKPfM.jpg

FAbMHQe.jpg

DLcv9JP.jpg

QLOsh2F.jpg

JN9Rs90.jpg

My favorite part of this is every team having their own identity again. And different short patterns! It's a small thing but it's been missing since adidas and Nike took over. I'm not really surprised to see the sponsor logos stay, but they should have set the lower sponsor on a single line instead of stacking them like with Phoenix and Chicago. That Fry's logo will disappear when tucked in to the beltline. The league anniversary logo is made to fit the design too, which is a smart move, though I think they could have enlarged it a little more. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I love bringing some personality back into the league. 

The liberty seem like the clear winners in the rebranding. 

A little disappointed in the Storm, like others said before, the word mark was the weakest part of the new identity and now it's featured front and center. 

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

16 minutes ago, lilgump said:

A little disappointed in the Storm

By not having red in the uniforms for so long, they now look like they co-opted a set of Oregon Ducks uniforms for the team. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

50 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So, do the Indiana teams have a rule that one uniform must be based on TV shows or movies? 

I have a feeling that a Parks & Rec inspired uniform would not go over quite as well.

spacer.png

Just now, QCS said:

I don't know if this reflects poorly on me or Nike but I actually thought that New York green jersey was a Hornets jersey for a second. 

The Liberty have been wearing it for a few years now, but it relates to the Statue of Liberty, which technically should be copper, but she's been a tint of green for well over 80 years now. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

My God, someone finally decided to stop outfitting the WNBA like it's a rec league. It's 2021 and miracles are real. Some of these are better than others, and some are too deep in "The Brands Are Doing An Awareness," but every single one of them is better than what these teams wore last year - or for the past several years, even back to the adidas days. Wordmarks and numbers on the front - what a concept!

That purple Sparks jersey is the best-looking uniform in franchise history.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

The Liberty have been wearing it for a few years now, but it relates to the Statue of Liberty, which technically should be copper, but she's been a tint of green for well over 80 years now. 

I know, it works great for the Liberty. I love their whole look, but man does it rub me the wrong way that even for a second I got it confused with the Hornets.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived