WNBA 2021

On 3/17/2021 at 3:54 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Yes, Columbus Quest won the league both years that they  played (96/97 and 97/98). unfortunately they had Reebok, who did block numbers for the first year and then the brand wide font the next year.

Smith To Be Inducted Into Women's Basketball Hall Of Fame | WCBE 90.5 FM

Colorado Xplosion, the state's first pro women's basketball team, helped  change the sport

The coach of the Columbus Quest in the top picture (Brian Alger) coached the Dallas Wings in the WNBA Bubble last season.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Time really does fly. I remember the “We Got Next” marketing, and I think I watched part of the very first game. I remember seeing New York Liberty star Rebecca Lobo on “Celebrity Jeopardy!” back in the day. And Lisa Leslie and Cheryl Swoopes becoming minor celebrities. 

On 3/19/2021 at 10:27 PM, GDAWG said:

The coach of the Columbus Quest in the top picture (Brian Alger) coached the Dallas Wings in the WNBA Bubble last season.

Brian Agler has been a staple in the WNBA ever since the ABL went away.  He won championships coaching both the Storm and Sparks.  He's back in the Columbus Area now, at Wittenberg University.

The ABL was stacked.  They had the talent advantage over the WNBA initially, but not the financial backing.  It led to ABL players like Dawn Staley, Nikki McCray, Katie Smith, Yolanda Griffith, etc. having to choose whether or not to jump ship.

These Mystics jerseys were found at a sporting goods store and posted to Twitter.  And look!  They appear to be more basketball jersey, less billboard! They just have an AT&T logo on the back under the name and number.  This is the "Nike Explorer Edition" jersey.  I guess that is their WNBA version of the Association or Icon or whatever.

ExpjkAxXIAckY5b?format=jpg&name=large

There was also a "Nike Rebel Edition" found, which is apparently like the NBA's City uniform program. It's, um, not as promising.

ExpzxmfWYAALcLE?format=jpg&name=large

And someone else found this Dallas Wings Nike Rebel Edition jersey...

ExmgzJtWQAA-RqT?format=jpg&name=large

The Rebel Editions might turn out to be pretty silly, but I'm choosing to look at the potential bright spots here: fewer ads, less template, and different number fonts.

It also seems the the Lynx had one of their jerseys leaked as well:

I'm honestly more confused than anything with all the leaks so far. I like the fact that they are going away from the templated designs, and there is a lot of looks that are going to be better for it. Lynx/Wizards/Liberty look great with the "Explorer" editions (god the names are getting way too corny now), but I'm not sure if the "Rebel" editions are the de-facto road/clash uniforms or some sort of "statement/city" alternate. Either way, I find the "Rise/Equality" on the jerseys to be really tacky, and not from a political/social standpoint, but just from the fact that it's confusing on the front of a jersey. I understand the purpose of having your message front and center, but it just doesn't look right for a professional league. 

On the flip side though, it seems that the NBA/Nike are going to be trying to put more effort into the WNBA's marketing. It's not a bad first step with these new jerseys. Not a ton of bad looks as of now.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it seems all these "Explorer" jerseys have city names on them. May we be seeing the reveal of white jerseys with team names when these finally do get fully released?

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

20 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it seems all these "Explorer" jerseys have city names on them. May we be seeing the reveal of white jerseys with team names when these finally do get fully released?

There haven't been white jerseys in the WNBA for a little while now, so my guess would be two different team colored jerseys (Explorer and I dunno, Guardian or Protector or something) plus another to do with whatever they want (Rebel). 

But then again, there haven't been wordmarks or front numbers or team specific designs in the WNBA for a little while now either. So they could totally bring white jerseys back, too. 

5 hours ago, henburg said:

I'd be super excited if the new direction limits ads and lets the ladies rock some actually nice looking uniforms.

I'm betting these are ad free only because they aren't gameday gear. The NBA does this too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don't know but for me it look like they won't ditch template completely and "Explorer" is a "Statement" and "Rebel" is a "City" if we translate that into NBA nomenclature.

P.S: New Dri-Fit logo is appear on neck tag.

4r2eer.png

23 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm betting these are ad free only because they aren't gameday gear. The NBA does this too. 

They aren’t completely ad-free, as they have the AT&T logo on the back below the names:

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

AT&T is the league-wide jersey sponsor, so not surprising to see that the retail jerseys come with that logo at least. Previously the retail jerseys came with the AT&T logo on the front, which is how the game jerseys were:

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you can see, the retail jerseys also came with the teams’ individual sponsors as well and were more or less identical to the game jerseys. Now it appears that the sponsor logos on the front are no more, meaning that teams’ individual ad patches will likely be limited to the shoulder and (maybe) below the collar. I’m guessing it’ll be like the NBA jerseys now where the retail jerseys come standard without the teams’ individual sponsor logos, but the teams themselves can sell them with the sponsor logos in their own team stores.

As an aside, the leaked red Mystics jersey appears to be an authentic version and may well give us a glimpse at a slightly updated template from Nike. Pretty similar construction overall but it has a knit fabric similar to the Nike Vaporknit soccer jerseys from this year:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

So far we’ve only seen Explorers and Rebels. The other is the “Heroine Edition,” in (home) white. Look for team names on those.

The Mystics’ Rebel (“RISE”) is a favorite so far. The text of the 19th Amendment on a white ribbon is an inspired touch.

13 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Those New York jerseys are great. It's really exciting to see some less garish uniforms for the WNBA. 

That said, Explorer and Rebel seem like the most empty names Nike has come up with. Literally anything would be better. 

Still not as bad as Austin FC's Legend jersey, which is a plain white shirt with green trim. What's with Nike and adidas deciding every shirt needs to have it's own name? They already have one, the template that it's put on. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 3/29/2021 at 11:11 AM, Lana_del_Bae said:

Rebel Edition?  Coming from the NBAsphere of all places?

giphy.gif

I get it. A league that's existed for 25 years isn't exactly an upstart, but the WNBA has positoned itself as, arguably, the most politically progressive professional league in the US. The brand has evoked imagery of pushing against the status quo and toppling the patriarchy since the days of "We Got Next." Teams and players have been more activist-minded than the NBA, especially during the previous presidential adminsitration, etc.

"Rebel" may be a little reductive (how rebellious is any product that features an AT&T logo?). But, I see what they're trying to do. 

Archived