2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

9 minutes ago, Sport said:

Can confirm I am happier than a mug. Went to the game with my wife and parents* It was quite thrilling and it's easily the biggest win in the history of that stadium. I don't think any long time Bengals fan in that building thought they'd win, especially not down two touchdowns throughout the first half. Historically, the Bengals never win that game. The Bengals lay an egg in that game and then make us wait a week, make us sweat through a rivalry game in Cleveland, and then lose that too. But these new kids are special and different than Bengals teams of the past. They were supposed to finish last, go 0-6 in the AFC North, and they just won one of the toughest divisions. They're a year early. I'd like to end the playoff win drought, obviously, but I feel good about the future even if they don't. 

It was really great sharing that with my family. My wife is a bit of a crier and unquestionably a bigger Bengals fan than I am and she was sobbing. I lost my voice and my back is sore and I probably have omicron thanks to hugging the random college bros next to me that I made friends with during the game. All worth it. 

*funny enough the first Bengals game that my dad and I went to at Paul Brown Stadium was against the 9-0 Priest Holmes, Dante Hall, Trent Green Chiefs in 2003 and the Bengals upset them then too so I had a weird feeling about this one walking in. 

I was also at that Chiefs game! (it was my second ever, I was at the Seahawks game like three weeks prior because my aunt's cousin is Matt Hasselbeck).

This is the first time in a while that I watched every Bengals game in a season (outside of any primetime games which I can't even remember if they happened), and maybe they need to win the Super Bowl or something, because I felt nothing. I felt so much more emotion after Max Verstappen won the F1 title a few weeks ago, which quickly faded after I realized how dumb it was.

It was really cool seeing a lot of people I know have so much fun with this. I know almost every city in America says their town is cursed or their team is so bad all the time, but this organization has been so hard to root for for so long, and this team so unequivocally cool. I have no idea what I'll feel if they win even a game in the playoffs.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, floydnimrod said:

I was also at that Chiefs game! (it was my second ever, I was at the Seahawks game like three weeks prior because my aunt's cousin is Matt Hasselbeck).

This is the first time in a while that I watched every Bengals game in a season (outside of any primetime games which I can't even remember if they happened), and maybe they need to win the Super Bowl or something, because I felt nothing. I felt so much more emotion after Max Verstappen won the F1 title a few weeks ago, which quickly faded after I realized how dumb it was.

It was really cool seeing a lot of people I know have so much fun with this. I know almost every city in America says their town is cursed or their team is so bad all the time, but this organization has been so hard to root for for so long, and this team so unequivocally cool. I have no idea what I'll feel if they win even a game in the playoffs.

I haven't been the same since they lost to the Steelers in the playoffs in 2015. That changed the way I follow sports and I've been emotionally distant with every team, every sport I follow ever since (I was also pretty thrilled by Verstappen, though). I've felt nothing win or lose all season, but yesterday I allowed myself a little elation when the field goal went through the uprights. For me that emotion was mostly about all the other times I've been there when they blow that game and I walk out in a quiet crowd of angry people. Also I felt tremendous relief that we don't have to spend a week thinking about a win and in game at Cleveland. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

More on how bad FedEx Field is - Eagles announcers, who have complained for years about how crappy the broadcast and press box situation is, refused to go there, in favor of watching it on TV like the rest of us:

The Eagles traveled to Washington on Sunday, but once again this season, the team’s longtime radio broadcasters didn’t go with them.

Instead, Merrill Reese and Mike Quick called the game on 94.1 WIP remotely off monitors a couple hours north at Lincoln Financial Field. Joining them at the Linc were Eagles’ Spanish language announcers Rickie Ricardo and Oscar Budejen.

Unlike most of this season, the decision to call Sunday’s game remotely had nothing to do with COVID-19 — the broadcasters just hate FedEx Field that much. In addition to the stadium’s crumbling infrastructure (water was leaking into the press box on Sunday), the visiting broadcast booth is behind the end zone, a terrible vantage point to call games.

“Merrill didn’t want to go to FedEx Field, which is a dump,” Ricardo said on WIP Saturday afternoon. “You’re in the corner of the end zone under the overhang, and you can’t tell what’s going on because you’re so low, you can’t see the yard lines. It’s impossible.”

Reese hasn’t been shy about his hatred of FedEx Field. Last season, the longtime announcer wasn’t too thrilled about not traveling with the team for away games, but was ecstatic he could skip out on calling the Eagles’ season opener from Washington.

“I have been complaining about that dump for years,” Reese told former Sixers announcer Marc Zumoff last year. “Daniel Snyder, who is not exactly Mr. Popularity in the nation’s capital, has the visiting broadcast booth low in the corner of the stadium, where the fans come almost up to the windows and can call us names.”

“There’s a big overhang over the booth, so if I look up I can’t see the scoreboard,” Reese added. “And when they go past the 50 I can’t tell if they go five yards or 15 yards.”"

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Everyone's going to be real sad when an entire section of seating collapses and dozens of people die. And then Dan Snyder successfully sues to keep any record of deferred maintenance from being exposed so he doesn't go to prison.

The stadium situation for WFT feels all of a sudden dire. If you're resorting to portable steel barriers to keep fans from falling onto the players, you're not acting responsibly with anyone's safety in mind. That no one was hurt in that situation is a miracle.  Not to mention that the level of flooding in that suite is really, really bad! Who knows where all of that water went, where it's currently sitting, and what it's currently doing the structural integrity of what's underneath?

I wouldn't go to FedEx either. And if FedEx weren't such a garbage service, they should take their name of the stadium (though now it's kind of apt).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 hours ago, Cujo said:

NFL Black Monday Update

GONE

Matt Nagy

Vic Fangio

Matt Rhule

MAYBE

Mike Zimmer

Joe Judge

David Culley

WELL, THEY'RE INTERIMS

Darrell Bevell

Rich Bisaccia

SURPRISE 'MUTUAL PARTING OF WAYS'

John Harbaugh

Pete Carroll

Bisaccia could get the interim removed if the Raiders go to the playoffs.  

3 hours ago, Sport said:

Can confirm I am happier than a mug. Went to the game with my wife and parents* It was quite thrilling and it's easily the biggest win in the history of that stadium. I don't think any long time Bengals fan in that building thought they'd win, especially not down two touchdowns throughout the first half. Historically, the Bengals never win that game. The Bengals lay an egg in that game and then make us wait a week, make us sweat through a rivalry game in Cleveland, and then lose that too. But these new kids are special and different than Bengals teams of the past. They were supposed to finish last, go 0-6 in the AFC North, and they just won one of the toughest divisions. They're a year early. I'd like to end the playoff win drought, obviously, but I feel good about the future even if they don't. 

It was really great sharing that with my family. My wife is a bit of a crier and unquestionably a bigger Bengals fan than I am and she was sobbing. I lost my voice and my back is sore and I probably have omicron thanks to hugging the random college bros next to me that I made friends with during the game. All worth it. 

*funny enough the first Bengals game that my dad and I went to at Paul Brown Stadium was against the 9-0 Priest Holmes, Dante Hall, Trent Green Chiefs in 2003 and the Bengals upset them then too so I had a weird feeling about this one walking in. 

Congrats on getting to experience such a special moment. I was selfishly hoping tonight's Browns-Steelers game would mean something, especially since I'll be in attendance. But I have no real hard feelings towards the Bengals. If the Browns can't win the AFC North I would much rather it be the Bengals over the Ravens and Steelers. Best of luck in the playoffs. 

• Like 5

T1oYViW.png

1 hour ago, Glover said:

Congrats on getting to experience such a special moment. I was selfishly hoping tonight's Browns-Steelers game would mean something, especially since I'll be in attendance. But I have no real hard feelings towards the Bengals. If the Browns can't win the AFC North I would much rather it be the Bengals over the Ravens and Steelers. Best of luck in the playoffs. 

I do appreciate that and I feel the same way about the Browns. I was a diehard Browns fan in the playoff game against Pittsburgh last year and I would like them to win tonight and officially eliminate the Steelers and send Roethlisberger out of Pittsburgh with an L. Though, I hope one day we're as annoying to you as the Steelers and Ravens are because it means we've won something. 

• Like 7

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 hours ago, Cujo said:

NFL Black Monday Update

GONE

Matt Nagy

Vic Fangio

Matt Rhule

MAYBE

Mike Zimmer

Joe Judge

David Culley

WELL, THEY'RE INTERIMS

Darrell Bevell

Rich Bisaccia

SURPRISE 'MUTUAL PARTING OF WAYS'

John Harbaugh

Pete Carroll

I would be incredulous if this happens.  Sure Harbaugh has his flaws but he is unquestionably an elite coach and the Ravens have about 50 more issues they need to address before Harbaugh if they want to bounce back next year.

• Like 3

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

The flexing for KC-DEN doesn't make much sense. The Broncos are already out of the playoff picture, so are they really hosting a primetime game just for Kansas City?

They were flexed into a Saturday afternoon game. While it'll be Nationally broadcasted, it's hardly primetime.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

12 Eagles tested positive today, so thank goodness they clinched yesterday.  Even though they can be cleared by Saturday, I wouldn't expect too many starters to actually play against Dallas.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

The flexing for KC-DEN doesn't make much sense. The Broncos are already out of the playoff picture, so are they really hosting a primetime game just for Kansas City?

There aren't many good matchups this week: https://www.espn.com/nfl/schedule/_/week/18

Chargers at Raiders is probably the best game of the weekend, and it's the SNF game, so that tracks.  Miami/NE would have been good had the Dolphins won yesterday. There was probably hope that one of the AFC North or NFC West matchups would mean more this weekend, but alas.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Everyone's going to be real sad when an entire section of seating collapses and dozens of people die. And then Dan Snyder successfully sues to keep any record of deferred maintenance from being exposed so he doesn't go to prison.

The stadium situation for WFT feels all of a sudden dire. If you're resorting to portable steel barriers to keep fans from falling onto the players, you're not acting responsibly with anyone's safety in mind. That no one was hurt in that situation is a miracle.  Not to mention that the level of flooding in that suite is really, really bad! Who knows where all of that water went, where it's currently sitting, and what it's currently doing the structural integrity of what's underneath?

I wouldn't go to FedEx either. And if FedEx weren't such a garbage service, they should take their name of the stadium (though now it's kind of apt).

Steel railing looks to be a common thing to use, but if that is the ONLY barrier (no foundation) and you have that many people leaning over like that, you are asking for trouble 

• Like 2

I saw, I came, I left.

8 hours ago, Sport said:

Dude, you all freaking earned this. Yeah, I heard a bunch of cracks at work about how the Chiefs played two teams with stripes, but at the end of the day, my team didn’t execute. Congrats on winning the North. 

• Like 2

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32986133/after-disappointing-2021-baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-headed-split

Baker Mayfield stinks, and ESPN is asking if the Browns should let him go. My initial answer is no, because I worry he'd end up in Seattle and that's not good. On the other hand, he does seem like the perfect guy for the Chicago Bears or Minnesota Vikings, and that wouldn't be so bad!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

• Like 5
  • WOAH 1

1 hour ago, Red Comet said:

Dude, you all freaking earned this. Yeah, I heard a bunch of cracks at work about how the Chiefs played two teams with stripes, but at the end of the day, my team didn’t execute. Congrats on winning the North. 

Thanks! As far as calls goes, I can point out a couple that helped the Chiefs in the first half, weak holding call on a Mixon screen,  and the calls at the end were by the book penalties that would’ve horrible no calls had they not thrown the flag. I’ve just thought that was hilarious all day to read salty people saying that the NFL was helping the Bengals. That would mark the first time in franchise history that’s happened. Also the Chiefs played Chase on single coverage and gave up 30 yards on a key third and 27. My personal rule is don’t :censored: about the refs if you couldn’t stop something like that. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Thanks! As far as calls goes, I can point out a couple that helped the Chiefs in the first half, weak holding call on a Mixon screen,  and the calls at the end were by the book penalties that would’ve horrible no calls had they not thrown the flag. I’ve just thought that was hilarious all day to read salty people saying that the NFL was helping the Bengals. That would mark the first time in franchise history that’s happened. Also the Chiefs played Chase on single coverage and gave up 30 yards on a key third and 27. My personal rule is don’t :censored: about the refs if you couldn’t stop something like that. 

Yeah. Ja’Marr Chase reminds me of Randy Moss if you want my honest opinion. And anyone stupid enough to put just one guy on him after he not only burned them once but twice deserved to get clowned on the third time. Andy really needs to learn how to put the beating on a team when they’re down but if he hasn’t done that for nearly a quarter century, I highly doubt he’s going to start doing that now. I’m really impressed by Chase along with Burrow and Mixon. Hell, if you can fix the O-Line, I really believe that the Bengals will be a contender for a Super Bowl year in and year out. At the very least, I think that you break the 30 year no playoff win slump this year. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1