2021 NHL Offseason - Let's Get Kraken

spartacat_12

16 hours ago, Red Comet said:

So the Senators are hiring a broadcaster to be their future GM? This franchise just gets better and better. And by better, I mean better at comedy. 

You do realize he was a coach & front office executive before he became a broadcaster, right? I'm definitely not his biggest fan, but at least the skeleton staff in the front office has an experienced voice with a lot of connections around the league. It sounds like being a face for the media is a big part of the position, so Dorion & Melnyk speaking less is a positive.

GMPD has been a perfect puppet for Melnyk, so I can't see him getting fired unless the team takes a big step back to being a 30th-32nd place team.

55 minutes ago, Crabcake said:

After doing some more reading, the Caps subreddit seems convinced he’s not going anywhere, but their main reasons for thinking that are 1) assuming the Caps have an under-the-table extension already agreed with Ovechkin, meaning they don’t have to protect him from Seattle, thus opening up a forward spot to protect Oshie, and 2) Oshie saying he wants to stay in D.C. 

1 sounds plausible, even likely, but obviously we won’t know until after the expansion draft, and in terms of 2, I trust player statements like that about as far as I can throw the players themselves. So while I think it’s unlikely Oshie is left unprotected, anything is possible. 

There is 100% chance Ovi already has a handshake deal in place, which will be made official shortly after the expansion draft. If the Caps do decide to expose Oshie, I still can't see Seattle taking him without a sweetener thrown in. There will be a few solid, cheaper options available, so Francis should be able to get a pick/prospect if he's gonna do them the favour of taking that cap hit.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little over nine years after they signed identical 13-year, $98 million contracts together, Zach Parise & Ryan Suter are being bought out by Minnesota.

My guess is that Guerin determined that they weren't going to waive their NMCs for the expansion draft and decided to take this route. This allows them to protect Dumba from Seattle, while still protecting 7 forwards. 

Ken Holland must be kicking himself realizing that if he had waited a couple days he could've just signed Suter instead of trading away assets for Keith.

25 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

A little over nine years after they signed identical 13-year, $98 million contracts together, Zach Parise & Ryan Suter are being bought out by Minnesota.

My guess is that Guerin determined that they weren't going to waive their NMCs for the expansion draft and decided to take this route. This allows them to protect Dumba from Seattle, while still protecting 7 forwards. 

Ken Holland must be kicking himself realizing that if he had waited a couple days he could've just signed Suter instead of trading away assets for Keith.

I'm not really fond of taking nearly a decade worth of cap hits so they can protect two more players from Seattle. Or maybe I am.  All I know is the whole thing is very Minnesota Sports.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Garrioch is a shill who is basically a member of the team's communications department, so anything he is writing is going to pump Melnyk's tires.

Of course every media appearance Euge has made since the season ended he's made sure to mention how right he was to blow the team up & rebuild, so I don't see that stopping anytime soon. He conveniently leaves out the fact that we got incredibly lucky that Karlsson's career, and the Sharks organization as a whole, imploded almost immediately after he was traded.

Any success that the team has in the next decade will be in-spite of the current management team, not because of it.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:43 PM, the admiral said:

If you hadn't linked that, I would've. And I haven't even hovered over the link to see what it is, because anybody who knows "Pierre McGuire" and "coaching" will know what exactly is hiding behind that link. We've all read that article, probably multiple times.

But I'm going to put in a good word for Pierre. I'm perfectly familiar with being able to remember obscure, generally useless information while being somewhat socially awkward at the same time. He's also always been enthusiastic and passionate on the air. Never much cared for his generally random and unprovoked attacks against "analytics", but other than that I grew to at least appreciate some of the good things he could bring to an NHL broadcast. There are plenty worse around. 

spacer.png

16 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

But I'm going to put in a good word for Pierre. I'm perfectly familiar with being able to remember obscure, generally useless information while being somewhat socially awkward at the same time. He's also always been enthusiastic and passionate on the air. Never much cared for his generally random and unprovoked attacks against "analytics", but other than that I grew to at least appreciate some of the good things he could bring to an NHL broadcast. There are plenty worse around. 

The encyclopedic memory of where random fourth liners played in junior and college can be a useful skill in TV when you don't have time to look something up while on the air, but in a front office role they can just google the guy's hockeydb page. I'd buy the argument that he was hired for his relationships inside of hockey, but I don't get the impression that he's particularly well-liked by many hockey people either. I think this is just Eugene Melnyk being Eugene Melnyk. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

If you hadn't linked that, I would've. And I haven't even hovered over the link to see what it is, because anybody who knows "Pierre McGuire" and "coaching" will know what exactly is hiding behind that link. We've all read that article, probably multiple times.

Thankfully it doesn't sound like McGuire is going to be working very closely with any of the players, and I'm sure he'll take a much more mature approach when dealing with other executives compared to when he was in his 30s.

Pro scouting has been a clear issue with this team for a long time, so his intimate knowledge of the rest of the league should help in that regards. There is still a clear need for an experienced President of Hockey Ops to come in and act as a middle man between Melnyk & Dorion, but considering the mass exodus of front office staff over the past 5 years it's at least nice to see news about someone being hired instead of someone being fired/quitting.

Bergevin's basically hoping that Price's $10M contract is too steep for Seattle to take on. He's had years of bad personnel decisions he's made somehow working out for him, but I think he's really pushing his luck this time.

I think ultimately the contract will scare off Seattle, especially since Francis has been quoted as saying their cap space is their biggest asset. It sounds like them getting Driedger is pretty much a done deal, and a guy like Kahkonen will likely be desirable asset too. 

Vegas clearly removed a lot of the stigma around playing for an expansion team, considering how many more guys waived their NMCs this time around. This could make things tough for Seattle. One of the reasons Vegas was able to make the side deal for Theodore was because Bieksa wouldn’t waive his NMC & Anaheim had to protect him. 

Archived