MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

54 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

This is why teams need to wear third kits, adidas! MLS needs to tell adidas that everyone that needs a third kit should get one instead of fearing that not enough people will buy them. They also should have had the stripe pattern on the front of the Austin kit on the back of it as well. Or at least a green back instead of black. Same for Portland, use the lighter green for the back of the shirt. 

Ideally, teams could use the "old" kit from last year (i.e. a home from 2020, or away from 2019) and recycle it as a third kit. I know that a lot of team in the Premier League used to do that before 3rd kits became more customized and common. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

There absolutely should be a yellow or red option for the refs, but that doesn’t solve everything. IMO there should never be a case where the home team has to change from their primaries because their opponent doesn’t have a kit that provides sufficient contrast, but that’ll likely be the case when Austin hosts Seattle and could be (but I’m suspecting it won’t be) the case when Portland hosts Seattle this year as well. Third kits should be allowed. I also happen to think Seattle’s primary should be classified as a dark kit and their secondaries should be light, but it wouldn’t matter if third kits were available.

Absolutely. MLS, Adidas and Capelli have really boxed themselves in a corner this year.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

13 hours ago, Digby said:

Guess we gotta buy more extant Seattle shirts to get their sales numbers to third-kit levels. (Is ATL still getting one I wonder?)

What’s crazy is we sold our third kits! You can’t find an electric yellow anywhere, those sold out immediately. The super cyan kit was a cult favorite and only showed up on discount racks because of the weird collar. And the faux retro was awesome, I bought one and they greatly outsold the unlucky white kits that were a true secondary. 

Once the pandemic is over I don’t think Adidas/MLS have much of an excuse to deny the “big” clubs (>20k attendance) a third.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

8 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

What’s crazy is we sold our third kits! You can’t find an electric yellow anywhere, those sold out immediately. The super cyan kit was a cult favorite and only showed up on discount racks because of the weird collar. And the faux retro was awesome, I bought one and they greatly outsold the unlucky white kits that were a true secondary. 

Once the pandemic is over I don’t think Adidas/MLS have much of an excuse to deny the “big” clubs (>20k attendance) a third.

The faux retro kit was actually a true secondary, for the 2017/18 seasons. Their last third kit was the Pacific Blue, worn in 2016 and 2017:

spacer.png

But anyways, I agree with your larger point about third kits making a comeback in the near future. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Seattle psychedelic kit looked much better in action than I even expected. Helps that it was paired with LAG’s “what even is color” kit, but yeah. The design really works. (Just wish they’d tone down the Hendrix nonsense and admit they just inverted the usual color scheme!)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

18 minutes ago, Digby said:

The Seattle psychedelic kit looked much better in action than I even expected. Helps that it was paired with LAG’s “what even is color” kit, but yeah. The design really works. (Just wish they’d tone down the Hendrix nonsense and admit they just inverted the usual color scheme!)

I agree that it looks far less "out there" on the field than it did in design renderings. I don't think it's a shirt I'll actually want to buy, but I don't hate it for two seasons. And it certainly has more personality than year four of the green "dirty laundry" look.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I stand by my opinion that the crest is not the issue with CFM (?), everything else is. Didn't really consider til now that their new logo almost intrudes on Vancouver territory, the pointy references to natural wintry elements and the dark-blueish color scheme. Bi-coastal Canadian basement dweller fight.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/kit-matchups-what-your-club-is-wearing-for-mls-week-4

A few... strange decisions this week, to say the least. Both NYRB and Toronto wearing aways, Dallas in red vs Houston in orange, Colorado in burgundy vs Minnesota in gray, and to top it all off both Portland and Seattle are wearing green. We also have our first (?) ref clash of the season, as they'll be in navy against KC in light blue (with navy hoops) and Austin in black. They couldn't do green because it'd clash with Austin's stripes, they couldn't do light blue because it'd clash with the majority of KC's kit instead of a minority of it, so navy it is. Getting rid of yellow was a terrible decision.

ExJworW.png

spacer.png

I made a comment last week about how the Timbers and Sounders will likely go green vs. green in Portland this weekend, and now it’s official. Sure the Timbers could change to their white secondaries, but really this is happening because the Sounders don’t have a secondary kit that provides adequate contrast from the Timbers’ primaries (or Austin’s primaries, for that matter). I personally don’t think there should ever be a case where the home team has to change because the away team doesn’t have a kit that provides sufficient contrast, so in a way I’m glad that the Timbers are being stubborn and sticking with the green kits. It’s far from an ideal matchup, though, and could very well end up being an eyesore like the 2019 green vs. green matchup between the two teams:

spacer.png

This year’s matchup shouldn’t be quite as bad as that one because of the Timbers going with their white shorts and having the darker green shirt back, but it’ll likely still be a bit of a nightmare matchup:

spacer.png
spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Still, green vs. green is dumb and dark green vs. dark purple would be terrible for some as well.

The MLS is really messing up this year.

11 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Still, green vs. green is dumb and dark green vs. dark purple would be terrible for some as well.

The MLS is really messing up this year.

There would definitely still be a bit of a shirt clash, but I think the dark green vs. dark purple could work if the Sounders had orange or yellow clash shorts and socks. Not that I would want to see that, but I do think it could provide enough contrast from the Timbers’ primaries and even Austin’s primaries. Frankly I’m a little surprised the league didn’t make them have a clash shorts and socks option for those cases. With their Nightfall kits they at least had pink clash socks that they wore against the Timbers last year.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, Digby said:

This is probably better, but when was the last time Seattle had green shorts as an option? And better yet why not have white shorts/socks too?

I believe the last time Seattle wore green shorts was in 2018. I don’t remember them wearing them at all in 2019, and I know they haven’t been an option with their current primaries. White clash shorts/socks would be the best option if the league insists on designating their primaries as a “light” kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Quick note about the Dallas/Houston game; Dallas will be wearing navy socks with their current primary kits for what I believe to be the first time:

spacer.png

While the first team hasn’t worn this specific kit combo, their academy teams have:

spacer.png

Last year when Dallas and Houston went red vs. orange, FCD went with the red socks:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

17 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/kit-matchups-what-your-club-is-wearing-for-mls-week-4

A few... strange decisions this week, to say the least. Both NYRB and Toronto wearing aways, Dallas in red vs Houston in orange, Colorado in burgundy vs Minnesota in gray, and to top it all off both Portland and Seattle are wearing green. We also have our first (?) ref clash of the season, as they'll be in navy against KC in light blue (with navy hoops) and Austin in black. They couldn't do green because it'd clash with Austin's stripes, they couldn't do light blue because it'd clash with the majority of KC's kit instead of a minority of it, so navy it is. Getting rid of yellow was a terrible decision.

And here I was so excited for all the new kits this year. So many matchups this week would benefit from teams having a 3rd kit. The Minnesota/Colorado one is dark vs dark. Houston/FC Dallas is red vs orange. Seattle/Portland is green vs green. Even Chicago/Philly is navy vs light blue. Lots of eye sore matchups this week. 

Archived