MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

On 4/8/2021 at 1:30 PM, vtgco said:

Haven't heard about this for San Jose before!

I wonder if this is true. Will they wear royal against navy teams then?

the schedule is very conference heavy this year and all of the navy-at-home teams are in the East, so they might get away with it. Assuming the new kit is a bright enough shade to be okay against LAFC, Portland, Minnesota. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/8/2021 at 10:30 AM, vtgco said:

Haven't heard about this for San Jose before!

I wonder if this is true. Will they wear royal against navy teams then?

33 minutes ago, Digby said:

the schedule is very conference heavy this year and all of the navy-at-home teams are in the East, so they might get away with it. Assuming the new kit is a bright enough shade to be okay against LAFC, Portland, Minnesota. 

You might be right @Digby, but I still have a hard time believing that they’re getting rid of the flag-themed kit and redesignating the old primary as the secondary this year. For one thing, they just posted about a 408 jersey giveaway on their IG a few days ago, which would be a little odd if that jersey wasn’t going to be part of the rotation this year:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNbXt-oMOt3/?igshid=i1p6q6z8989s

The league has also gotten pretty strict about the one light/one dark kit requirement in recent years, so it would be pretty surprising to see them being lenient in this case. Plus, I thought the flag-themed kits became pretty popular with their fanbase after they had some success in them in MLS is Back.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 minute ago, 4_tattoos said:

How many teams won't have the MLS logo on their sleeves this season?

I think it was LAFC and DC United for sure. I don’t remember if Portland will or not.

1 hour ago, WBeltz said:

I think it was LAFC and DC United for sure. I don’t remember if Portland will or not.

The Timbers had the TikTok logo on both sleeves during last week’s CCL match:

spacer.png

Remains to be seen whether that’s just for CCL or if they’ll have the logo on both sleeves during league matches as well. In their launch of the new kit and the TikTok deal, there was no mention of the TikTok logo being on both sleeves and the images of the new kit either showed the left sleeve blank or with the MLS badge. I’m guessing for league play the left sleeve will have the MLS badge.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Speaking of Atlanta, I didn’t realize until tonight that the (pin)stripes on their new primary shirt actually appear to be printed on rather than sublimated:

spacer.png

This is pretty odd, and frankly just seems kind of cheap. I think SKC’s 2017/18 primary had printed on pinstripes, and their argyle shirts had the argyle pattern printed on, but I can’t remember many other recent examples of graphics being printed on MLS shirts rather than sublimated or embossed into the fabric. Curious to hear if any Atlanta fans on here have gotten the shirt and, if so, what they think about the application of the stripes.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

MLS has actually posted all of the kit matchups for this weekend’s games:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/kit-matchups-what-your-club-is-wearing-for-mls-week-1

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png
They used to include these kit assignment graphics as a part of the match previews, but they’ve been missing for 2-3 years now. Hopefully they continue posting them each week this season, as it’s always nice to look at the kit matchups beforehand. Really looking forward to seeing the Galaxy and Rapids debut their new secondaries in their respective games, and NYRB vs. SKC and DCU vs. NYCFC both figure to be nice looking matchups. I’m biased as a Timbers fan, but I think Vancouver vs. Portland might be the best matchup of all.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

17 minutes ago, Digby said:

I like those graphics though some consistency would be nice. How many socks templates do they have?

Also a little odd the officials have navy shorts?

Officials are not wearing adidas this year, so apparently the new supplier doesn't like black? Why don't they have keeper kits using the same template as the field player jerseys? Other than swapping out team patches, how hard is that to do? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 minutes ago, Digby said:

I like those graphics though some consistency would be nice. How many socks templates do they have?

Also a little odd the officials have navy shorts?

Yeah, it’s odd that the socks are different for the kits from last year and the new kits this year. Would be nice if the template was the same across the board so there was some more consistency in the graphics. There are also a few instances of mislabeling (Philly’s shirt being labeled white, NYCFC’s socks being labeled white, etc.)  and it would be nice if that was cleaned up. 

As for the ref uniforms, the shorts are indeed navy to match the navy shirt option and also the navy trim on the green and light blue shirts:

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

It's weird they dropped yellow shirts for refs. They'll always look Seattle-adjacent when the Sounders are in green.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

14 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's weird they dropped yellow shirts for refs. They'll always look Seattle-adjacent when the Sounders are in green.

They really should not have a shirt-short combo that exactly mirrors one team. Maybe they should go black-white stripes? It’s not like Juve is joining MLS anytime soon.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

4 hours ago, logo-maker said:

Does Orlando's kit show lighter during the game (outdoors). Seems like the only low contrast (black and purple) between player and keepers kits.

Not sure why the kit is so dark in the graphic, but our purple is a lot lighter than that. This is the actual shade:

nani.png

That's our old kit, but I've seen the new one in person and the base color is the same (although there's a fade effect so the top is darker). Black has contrasted fine for the last few years (see below - sometimes it gets a bit dicey at the end of the game when everyone is covered in sweat and the jersey gets darker, but I still think it's fine - I've never had any issues telling who's who).

Side note, this is a nice excuse to post a picture of the best moment in City history.

schlegel.jpg 

ExJworW.png

Houston should have gone with white numbers and NOB on their jerseys. It's visible in this close up photo, but watching the video highlights it was hard for me to clearly see the Dynamo players' names and numbers while in action.

Dynamo Open MLS Season With 2-1 Victory Over Earthquakes – NBC Bay Area

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived