MLS Kits 2021

kylonian

Seattle Sounders FC Unveil Jimi Hendrix-Inspired Secondary Kit

March 25, 2021 - 20:48 PM

Inspired by their tradition of playing “All Along the Watchtower” by Jimi Hendrix before every home game, Seattle Sounders FC unveiled a new psychedelic secondary kit on Tuesday. The jersey combines a wavy tonal purple pattern on the front and sleeves — reminiscent of Hendrix’s album covers and evoking another

Read More...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with seattle, I like the pattern, it's the color balancing up-top that bothers me. If they put the crest, adidas, and sleeve logos/sponsors in the pure orange, then had the shoulder stripes with that like orange-yellow lava lamp look like on the inside of the sleeve cuff, this kit would be complete and utter flames. The balance is just all off for me as it is.

With LA, it's amazing how getting a decent looking sponsor can honestly elevate what would otherwise be a pretty bland (if clean) kit. The away kit doesn't look half bad now. Still pretty boring, but at least less so than before.

spacer.png

S824Yiq.png

Like people have said, it'd be so much better without the three different trim colors, and if the shades weren't so sickly.

I haven't heard anyone suggest it, but I think lavender trim would've been pretty nice, too. I imagine that would go well with lavender shorts, too.

Also, this pattern works pretty well in blue and white, though it loses the Hendrix references that way.

I appreciate the reference to a local legend, but the execution just leaves a lot to be desired IMO, and I'd rather the Sounders just wear more blue than do the crazy-colored kits every time.

ExXH46XVoAA2eUr?format=jpg&name=4096x409

As that party animal demonstrates, the armhole trim ties it together pretty nicely. I like it, having now seen it on a real person.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 hours ago, vtgco said:

S824Yiq.png

Like people have said, it'd be so much better without the three different trim colors, and if the shades weren't so sickly.

I haven't heard anyone suggest it, but I think lavender trim would've been pretty nice, too. I imagine that would go well with lavender shorts, too.

Also, this pattern works pretty well in blue and white, though it loses the Hendrix references that way.

I appreciate the reference to a local legend, but the execution just leaves a lot to be desired IMO, and I'd rather the Sounders just wear more blue than do the crazy-colored kits every time.

The Lavender actually does look pretty good, smart call. I think the Orange would make sense given the Hendrix link, and seeing the logos in all-orange makes me wish that was how it actually ended up looking. 

If they ditched the Hendrix link altogether, then that blue number in the bottom right is the best of all of those kits there. That'd be toff man.

spacer.png

I like that for Seattle a lot, but the Hendrix stuff is so cringe. Let the dead rest. (I will again point out that the color scheme is basically an inversion of the regular Seattle home kit, which is kind of cool on its own!)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Rapids secondary now official, dubbed the “Class 5 Kit”:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

From the press release: “The topographic lines embossed throughout the kit are authentic Colorado maps of six 14,000 foot mountains - Grays Peak, Torreys Peak, Pikes Peak, Mt. Bierstadt, and Quandary Peak.”

This is a really lovely effort IMO, even with the topographic lines being so subtle due to the embossed application. The lighter green could maybe stand to be a tad bit more saturated, but overall I love the color scheme and think the kit as a whole is a really clean, consistent, and classy look, especially with the darker green shorts.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

10 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

Rapids secondary now official, dubbed the “Class 5 Kit”:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

From the press release: “The topographic lines embossed throughout the kit are authentic Colorado maps of six 14,000 foot mountains - Grays Peak, Torreys Peak, Pikes Peak, Mt. Bierstadt, and Quandary Peak.”

This is a really lovely effort IMO, even with the topographic lines being so subtle due to the embossed application. The lighter green could maybe stand to be a tad bit more saturated, but overall I love the color scheme and think the kit as a whole is a really clean, consistent, and classy look, especially with the darker green shorts.

It’s a step in the right direction with it not being flat-out white, but from the teaser they posted earlier, I was hoping the topographical pattern would be more visible. I don’t like this MLS obsession with embossed patterns this year, it really brings down some amazing patterns on the kits. It’s a solid effort here though, I love the button down collar and color scheme. Looks empty without a sponsor though (I can’t believe I’m saying that, but soccer is soccer).

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

I really hope to see this matchup between the Timbers and Rapids in Portland this year:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Unlike the green vs. green Timbers/Sounders matchup from 2019, this green vs. green matchup would be fantastic IMO.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I think that Rapids set is very nice. Maybe only behind the new NYCFC set for me this season.

That said, it's really hard not to want to call that a St. Patrick's Day kit. Yes, green exists in the world outside of one March holiday, but that's all the more reason they should have incorporated some blue or brown into the look.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Topo map shirt! Yes please! Though I always imagined that going to Seattle as a Rainier map in my head.

The mint is nice but the kelly as second color is not. Almost any other dark color would have been nicer. It doesn’t really bring me back to vintage rapids at all. Much preferred the mint/navy/pink scheme that Adidas has been using on some of its tennis and lifestyle lines.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

48 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

I really hope to see this matchup between the Timbers and Rapids in Portland this year:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Unlike the green vs. green Timbers/Sounders matchup from 2019, this green vs. green matchup would be fantastic IMO.

I missed that the Timbers kit will have white shorts. That actually elevates it a lot, I've always preferred white to green and it fits with the throwback design they were going for.

ExJworW.png

32 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I missed that the Timbers kit will have white shorts. That actually elevates it a lot, I've always preferred white to green and it fits with the throwback design they were going for.

The white shorts are the alternate option, and will likely only be worn sparingly just like with the last primary kit. I love the green/white/green kit combo, though I think it worked a little better with the last primaries.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, Digby said:

Topo map shirt! Yes please! Though I always imagined that going to Seattle as a Rainier map in my head.

The mint is nice but the kelly as second color is not. Almost any other dark color would have been nicer. It doesn’t really bring me back to vintage rapids at all. Much preferred the mint/navy/pink scheme that Adidas has been using on some of its tennis and lifestyle lines.

I actually think the mint is successful in this case because of the kelly green secondary color. They could’ve made the kelly green a little closer to the forest green of the vintage Rapids, but to me it still provides a little bit of a link to their past while the mint is a fresh (no pun intended) interpretation of that era and gives the kit more interest than if it were white. To me the double green is cool and crisp and appropriate for not only the subtle retro inspiration but also the topo map detailing. I also appreciate that it has a similar vibe to the Colorado license plates, specifically the old version with the green mountains on a white background but also the inverse that’s currently in use:

spacer.png

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Imagine how much better that Colo kit would be if they made the lines visible in the dark green, or at least more visible if nothing else. The colors are nice so it's not bad, but the pattern is lost so completely you won't even be able to see it on broadcast closeups. 

spacer.png

Colorado Rapids Introduce Minty Fresh ‘Class 5’ Kit

March 26, 2021 - 19:53 PM

Inspired by the rugged beauty of the nearby Rocky Mountains, Major League Soccer’s Colorado Rapids unveiled their new secondary kit on Friday, dubbing it the “Class 5” kit. The jersey is a pale mint green with dark green accents and a henley collar. Topography lines are embossed on jersey, representing

Read More...

LAFC Strikes Gold With New Secondary Kit

March 28, 2021 - 16:36 PM

Major League Soccer’s Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) is hoping they’ve struck gold with their new secondary kit. Dubbed the “Heart of Gold” kit, the jersey is a solid pale gold colour – a gold that is much less vibrant than the club usually uses – with a black collar,

Read More...

Archived