Soccer stadiums in an urban setting?

TIM HORTONS FIELD

Tim Horton's Field in Hamilton, On. 

Obviously more popularly known for the home of the CFL's Ti-Cats but Forge FC of the CPL call the stadium home.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Lumen Field for the Seattle Sounders:

R.c86998e10764bcdb84e4e4b19d0c7705?rik=e

Emirates Stadium:

emirates-stadium.jpg&ehk=EoQctaUKM4Pug28

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium:

R.26f2bb9de5db028cea104004b0485a4c?rik=s

And the stadium it replaced, White Hart Lane:

129160.jpg&ehk=BoZCIU9IGfew7HDVOFWv9Fwj2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just realized I've been to THREE of those mentioned to date for soccer games (Lumen Field, Providence Park, Highmark Stadium).

Here is a fourth (not yet mentioned) that I visited (for a Houston Dash game) while evacuated for Hurricane Ida: 
maxresdefault.jpg

BBVA Stadium, Houston

Here's another MLS stadium that I've been to that is rather urban-- and not at all "in a natural setting and with lots of greenery" as per the OP:

20780468402_b988b6f8e0_b.jpg

Red Bull Stadium, Newark, NJ.   Close by downtown, but in a sort of redeveloping, industrial area. 

A couple of MLS stadia that I have visited that do NOT qualify:

1. Q2 Stadium, Austin

75efea51-8829-43d3-ab79-78704a3ba574-jwj

Austin has a pretty well-defined (and impressive) downtown , but the metro area is a sprawling mess, and Q2 is out in the middle of it rather than being near downtown (you can see the skyline in the distance on the horizon at the top of the photo)...   It IS a very nice SSS, however, and the crowd/experience were great.  Parking, though-- not so much.

2. Dignity Health Sports Park, Carson, CA

04.28.2019_LAGalaxyvsRSL_GA0002_.jpg?ito

Way out in suburban Carson; you can see what surrounds this SSS.   Lots of suburban low-scale growth.

But, hey, it hosted the LA Chargers!

• Like 1

It is what it is.

Allianz Field(St. Paul)

allianz-field-st-paul-minnesota-pictures

It probably doesn't count if you're talking in real, but it actually replaced a 60's-style strip mall(partially, the rest is being bulldozed as we speak, The area is slated to have apartments office buildings built over the next few years.

• Like 1

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

6 hours ago, buzzcut said:

Allianz Field(St. Paul)

allianz-field-st-paul-minnesota-pictures

It probably doesn't count if you're talking in real, but it actually replaced a 60's-style strip mall(partially, the rest is being bulldozed as we speak, The area is slated to have apartments office buildings built over the next few years.

Maannn...Allianz Field is just over there.  It's location just about splits the difference between downtown Minny and downtown SP, and it is literally right off the US-52 freeway get-off ramp...but it is still just, kinda like, over there. There really ain't much around it (yet)--but it is a really nice venue in itself, however.

Speaking of nice venues, let me take you on down to Lynn Family Stadium in good ol' Louisville, KY:

LouCityVsMemJune12thDrone8_large.jpg

That's downtown off in the background (looks a lot further away than it actually is; it's probably like a half mile outside downtown).  But check out the angle of that opening...you can watch the fun on Malfunction Junction while watching the action on the pitch!

(Seriously, if you've yet to experience  the hysterical pleasure of navigating that torrid interchange--and all the merges leading up to it--you're in for a real treat the first time you do.  And this is after they reconstructed it...)

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I feel like Engelmann Stadium at UWM in Milwaukee might be more on line with what you're going for.

For context (and because I somehow still remember this information from a project I did when I was still a student there) the Eastside of Milwaukee is the most densely populated area in America that isn't on a coast or in Chicago. The main campus serves nearly 30,000 students yet contains only 4 city blocks. But somehow, they managed to wedge a soccer facility between two buildings that can accomodate over 3,000 spectators. Something that isn't appreciated enough by the general public who aren't stadium/urban planning dorks.

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

Maannn...Allianz Field is just over there.  It's location just about splits the difference between downtown Minny and downtown SP, and it is literally right off the US-52 freeway get-off ramp...but it is still just, kinda like, over there. There really ain't much around it (yet)--but it is a really nice venue in itself, however.

Well that whole area is called the Midway for a reason... The old St. Paul Saints stadium was just up Snelling there and it was called Midway Stadium, because it’s halfway between downtown Minneapolis and downtown St. Paul. (Although technically, the Midway neighbor is in St. Paul.) 

It’s definitely a little bit of a rougher neighborhood with University Ave right there, but it does feel like it’s getting to be a little bit nicer of a neighborhood. And there’s still some decent restaurants and other shops really close by. 

• Like 2

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

19 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I can't think of a better example than Providence Park in Portland. 

spacer.png

I'm surprised it took this look for this one to come up.  It's the first one I thought of.

The setting was even more apparent from the inside before the addition on the "left field" side.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

I'm surprised it took this look for this one to come up.  It's the first one I thought of.

The setting was even more apparent from the inside before the addition on the "left field" side.

spacer.png

I moved to Portland during the last two seasons of the AAA Portland Beavers. Talk about an odd baseball experience. They had open cafe-tables located along the first-base line. No special ticketing, just first-come, first served. I sat there once with a beer and moved to a new spot after a foul ball came our way and began ping-ponging among the tables. It was a super weird setup. 

The USL Timbers had a similar thing, where they'd allow fans out of the seats and onto the field behind a roped-off area, so you could stand right behind the guy taking a corner kick. Brought a college buddy to a game once who was way too drunk. He started throwing his empty cups on the field and almost got us tossed out of the stadium. We managed to move him to a spot where he'd do less damage. 

• Like 4

I've actually been to Portland's soccer stadium before. Didn't get to take in a game while I was there though; almost dropped some guap on some of their soccer gear while they were rebuilding it. But yeah, for that place to be stuck down in the middle of that neighborhood like that...for the natives/locals, which came first, the stadium or the neighborhood? (Just curious.)

That said, I know it ain't soccer, but seeing Portland's stadium instantly reminded me of Lambeau Field. I've been there twice, and narrowly missed a Monday night game the second time I was there. But if you ever wondered what it was like to have a stadium dropped down in the middle of a residential neighborhood, to the point where your back gate opens straight into the stadium parking lot (and that's for those who actually have gate--some of those lawns just edged right up to the lots)...head up to Green Bay and check it out for yourself. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||