2021-22 NBA Thread

Gary

First the T-wolves crap the bed against a Zion-less Pelicans team, then they win in Milwaukee.

I actually think they could sneak into the playoffs. (or that play-in round, which I guess means top-10, but that's a feat for this franchise). Anthony Edwards was the right pick.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Anthony Edwards was the right pick.

I don't know what was the skepticism about the pick at first, it was visible from his college play that he's got it.

Jalen Green, on the other hand, looked to me like just another Coby White, and hasn't changed that perception yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, truepg said:

I don't know what was the skepticism about the pick at first, it was visible from his college play that he's got it.

Jalen Green, on the other hand, looked to me like just another Coby White, and hasn't changed that perception yet.

I honestly don't know much there was, aside from some thoughts that it should be Ball (who is also very good).  I didn't have a strong feeling...actually I was kinda hoping to trade down but I'm glad they did what they did.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Melo seems like the first guy in a long while who came to knock down open threes LeBron serves up...and actually hits them. He's been crazy good in LA so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32535761/ben-simmons-meet-philadelphia-76ers-doctors-talk-mental-readiness
this basically shows that Ben Simmons is faking his mental illness and is just a trash human being using it as an excuse to get out of playing and still be paid. I never had sympathy for him but this all but confirms my feeling about him. I hope he gets cut and is forever blackballed from playing again.

• Like 1

The ESPN story on Robert Sarver is out, and it's a doozy.

The young Phoenix Suns team had been toiling at the bottom of the NBA's standings for years, missing the playoffs for six straight seasons while churning through head coaches. Watson was the fourth in as many years. Still, the Suns were playing the eventual NBA champions close, even leading by 13 in the first half. But it didn't last. The Warriors took control in the fourth quarter and cemented a 106-100 win, dropping the Suns to 0-3.

After the loss, Suns majority owner Robert Sarver entered the coaches locker room, Watson told ESPN.

"You know, why does Draymond Green get to run up the court and say [N-word]," Sarver, who is white, allegedly said, repeating the N-word several times in a row.

"You can't say that," Watson, who is Black and Hispanic, told Sarver.

"Why?" Sarver replied. "Draymond Green says [N-word]."

"You can't f---ing say that," Watson said again.

Sarver once used the N-word when trying to explain to a staffer why he preferred hiring Lindsey Hunter over Dan Majerle as head coach in 2013, according to a high-level executive who heard the remark. Hunter was a first-year Suns player development coordinator while Majerle was in his fifth year as a Suns associate head coach.

"These [N-words] need a [N-word]," Sarver told the staffer of his largely Black team, according to the executive.

Sarver again cited race as the reason the team needed to hire Watson as head coach in 2016, a former Suns basketball executive said: A young Black coach could better relate to Black players, Sarver reasoned, and could "speak their language."

Through legal representation, Sarver denied the allegation about Hunter, saying he never used the N-word and "never used words to that effect," and said race was never discussed during Watson's hiring process.

Contract talks eventually led Bledsoe's Klutch Sports agent, Rich Paul, to communicate directly with Sarver -- the Suns owner didn't want to extend Bledsoe's contract in part due to concerns about Bledsoe's durability, plus concerns that the team had performed poorly with him as the starting point guard, according to sources at the time. Paul responded to Sarver's remarks by saying that he knew basketball and that they "weren't talking about tennis," Sarver's childhood sport.

Sarver erupted at the dig, according to two people with knowledge of the interaction, telling Paul he was going to fire Watson as the team's head coach if Watson didn't sever ties with Klutch, which had been representing Watson, within 10 days - just after the start of the season.

Watson said that Sarver's ultimatum quickly reached him. He asked Sarver if he was serious.

"Yeah, I will f---ing fire you," Sarver told Watson. "You have 10 days to think about it. Don't wait too long."

Watson said he explained to Sarver the optics of a white owner asking a Black coach to fire an agency led by a Black agent, Paul.

"Yeah, I understand what race you two are," Sarver replied, according to Watson. "So I'm asking you, How bad do you want your job?"

Watson said he told Sarver that he wasn't going to fire Klutch.

"You can do whatever you want," Watson said he told Sarver. "You own this team, but my culture is not for sale. And I'm not for sale."

Through legal representation, Sarver said his issue with Klutch was solely due to a conflict of interest -- that a coach and a player could not be represented by the same agent. Sarver denied that the conversation had anything to do with race.

Watson, when told of Sarver's response, said: "Rich [Paul] was never my agent." Watson was represented by Klutch Sports, which is owned by Paul.

• Like 4

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I read the article and really doesn’t surprise me that people have said that about Sarver. However as I’m reading the article. I noticed how Earl Watson and Sarver hated each other. I wouldn’t be surprised as how the article perceives Sarver, that we will have some kind of new owner buying the Suns and he will be like Sterling. 

It's only ten games in, but feeling very Season From Hell for the Lakers so far.

Woof. Every game a disaster in a different way.

17 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's only ten games in, but feeling very Season From Hell for the Lakers so far.

Woof. Every game a disaster in a different way.

When he came over, the assumption was Melo was a nice-to-have. Now he's winning games for the Lakers.

LA is without LeBron and Ariza and THT so they're not full strength...but they still have Melo, AD and Westbrook out there. They should be better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

When he came over, the assumption was Melo was a nice-to-have. Now he's winning games for the Lakers.

LA is without LeBron and Ariza and THT so they're not full strength...but they still have Melo, AD and Westbrook out there. They should be better.

This. On both accounts. Still no Nunn either. I expected him to be an important contributing factor for the Lakers.

• Like 1