2021-22 NBA Thread

Gary

2 hours ago, truepg said:

I see and respect your rationale, @Dynasty

Other than that, the definition of the term "bust", which I also share, has been set straight so many times on so many platforms that I'm not even gonna go into that any further. It's about not meeting the expectations and hype set by others with your play. The question asked was, if Zion can already be called a bust, to which my answer is that Zion isn't anywhere in the "bust" conversation.

In case of the Pelicans, sure, one could ponder now that maybe it wasn't the best decision, but there was no serious reason to think so at the time, and it was a dead-obvious consensus to make that pick. So, even by that reasoning it can't be called a misjudgement. Moreover, Morant had more question marks.

He hasn’t met the hype though and won’t while he continues to sit out games with injury. He was suppose to be the next Lebron James and he hasn’t come anywhere close to that. Mostly because he’d rather be the pillsbury doughboy and weigh more than his body can take and thus get injured all the time. If he decides he wants to lose weight and get healthy and take care of his body he might come out from being a bust. So far though it has looked like he just has continued to eat unhealthy and make himself fatter and fatter and it has cost him his career at this point.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dont care said:

He hasn’t met the hype though and won’t while he continues to sit out games with injury. He was suppose to be the next Lebron James and he hasn’t come anywhere close to that. Mostly because he’d rather be the pillsbury doughboy and weigh more than his body can take and thus get injured all the time. If he decides he wants to lose weight and get healthy and take care of his body he might come out from being a bust. So far though it has looked like he just has continued to eat unhealthy and make himself fatter and fatter and it has cost him his career at this point.

Not the next LeBron James, whose one of the main skills was playmaking, but comparable hype. With his play, he has posted such numbers on a regular basis with ease that even exceeded those of a usual number one pick during first years of their career. The fact that he has been plagued by injuries and possible questionable decisions, is a different story. 

26 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The problem was not “Irving doesn’t want to play”, the problem was “Irving doesn’t want to get vaccinated”.

What was it last year? What was it in the bubble? He constantly finds a reason he doesn’t want to play. He finds a cause that is so traumatic to him he can’t play, or feels he shouldn’t play as a form of protest because he thinks he’s bigger than the game of basketball. Even with the vaccine it wasn’t that he didn’t want to be vaccinated, it was him protesting vaccine mandates that he feels the government shouldn’t have a role in peoples health (or that’s what he claimed)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Digby said:

The Celtics are marking the 20-year anniversary of trading rookie Joe Johnson by bringing him back as a covid emergency ringer. What a time to be alive.

Self-quote for this nutty stat. And ISO Joe even sank a jumper in garbage time! Keep him for the year, I say.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

It's rare that I'm beaming with pride over a January regular-season win, but this definitely qualifies:

Ty Lue was out too, so in addition to having 11 players out and relying on 10-day hardship players, the Clippers were also on their backup coach. Meanwhile, the Nets had both KD and Harden, and a double-digit lead with minutes to go, and it didn't matter. What a win.

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm not sure this was an intentional eff up, but man... what an eff up.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/nba-announcer-sorry-insensitive-comments-kevin-porter-jrs-dad-blames-m-rcna11228

The announcer, Glenn Consor, made the comment Wednesday during the Houston Rockets' game against the Wizards after Porter made a 3-point shot right before the buzzer went off.

"You’ve got to give credit. Kevin Porter Jr., like his dad, pulled that trigger right at the right time,” Consor said on the air, according to a video circulating on social media. "Boy, that one stung."

Several people, including the Los Angeles Lakers' LeBron James, criticized Consor on social media because Porter's father, Bryan Kevin Porter Sr., pleaded guilty in the fatal shooting of a 14-year-old girl in 1993, USA Today reported. He was sentenced to 4½ years in prison.

Consor says he thought Kevin Porter Jr. was the son of a former Washington player, Kevin Porter.

IUe6Hvh.png

8 hours ago, See Red said:

I'm not sure this was an intentional eff up, but man... what an eff up.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/nba-announcer-sorry-insensitive-comments-kevin-porter-jrs-dad-blames-m-rcna11228

Consor says he thought Kevin Porter Jr. was the son of a former Washington player, Kevin Porter.

While I could see why he might think that,  I'd also assume there's some prep material somewhere that would have been given to him before the game that would have either confirmed or denied that assumption. PR and research exists for a reason.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

While I could see why he might think that,  I'd also assume there's some prep material somewhere that would have been given to him before the game that would have either confirmed or denied that assumption. PR and research exists for a reason.

LeBron had a pretty good post or quote about it saying just that... especially since the player he thought was his father played for Washington.  Still willing to chalk it up to the guy just not doing his job well, but who knows. 

IUe6Hvh.png

1 hour ago, Dynasty said:

Ja Morant is beyond amazing.

That's all.

He's everything everyone wanted Zion to be but probably better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags