North American Pro Soccer 2022

Brian in Boston

FC Cincinnati Officially clinched a playoff spot! I’m very happy for the diehards who watched every game going back to the USL days and during the back-to-back-to-back last place finishes. I caught a few games in those days (mostly as a quarantine distraction), but I can’t say I was really invested. This was the first year I really keyed in and watched 90% of all games and attended four. If you’d told me after that first game in Austin ended in a bloodbath that they’d make the playoffs I wouldn’t have believed it. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, Sport said:

FC Cincinnati Officially clinched a playoff spot! I’m very happy for the diehards who watched every game going back to the USL days and during the back-to-back-to-back last place finishes. I caught a few games in those days (mostly as a quarantine distraction), but I can’t say I was really invested. This was the first year I really keyed in and watched 90% of all games and attended four. If you’d told me after that first game in Austin ended in a bloodbath that they’d make the playoffs I wouldn’t have believed it. 

It's been a good year for Cincinnati football.

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

Despite feeling like im on my deathbead, I managed to muster up enough energy to get up to watch FCC clinch and caught the last part of Columbus getting eliminated. Eastern Conference teams should be scared of them.  The only eastern conference playoff teams who beat Cincinnati this year are Montreal.

beat Orlando 2-1, 1-0

beat Miami 3-1, tied 4-4

tied NYRB twice 1-1

tied NYCFC 4-4 and 1-1

beat Philadelphia 3-1 and tied 1-1

lost to Montreal 4-3 twice.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

The Portland Thorns were created to be a beacon of what is possible in women’s sports. A successful team is built on trust, equality and accountability, and today I am holding myself accountable for not doing enough.

I owe Sinead and Mana, the Thorns players and the NWSL my tireless effort to actively make sure what happened in 2015 never happens again.

I apologize to our players, the organization, and the Portland community for the mistakes we made, including not being publicly transparent about Paul Riley’s termination. Our organization’s failures and mistakes were ultimately my responsibility, and my responsibility alone.

It is devastating to me that my goal of creating the shining example of what a women’s sports team could be, has now become synonymous with abhorrent and predatory behavior.

Part of me holding myself accountable is recognizing that someone else needs to take the reins of the organization and operational decision-making.

As you know, I removed myself from Thorns decision-making, yet, in order for the organization to move forward and unite, I feel that another step is necessary. Effective immediately, I am removing myself as CEO of the Portland Thorns and Portland Timbers, and announcing a global search for a CEO of the organization.

Heather Davis will remain interim president and interim CEO. Sarah Keane, who Heather appointed interim COO, will lead the search for a permanent CEO. I know Heather and Sarah plan on having players meet final candidates so their voices can be heard. Through this process, I have committed to them that I will provide the organization with all necessary resources to ensure both clubs are not only a model of player safety, but the standard by which other organizations are measured.

Looking ahead, our organization is at a crossroads, and the future is not necessarily a clear path. No matter what happens, ensuring the long-term health and success of the Portland Thorns is critical to me, as I know it is for our players and the community.

Given the complexities involved on several levels, finalizing the correct path forward will take time. I love this organization as if it was part of my family, and to me, what is most important is getting it right.

A statement from Merritt Paulson | PTFC (timbers.com)

The response has been "Sell the team"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

And today, the response continues to be "sell the team."

I don't blame them. This, and last week's firings, are positioned as moves meant to remove the primary actors from decision-making roles. But the owner, even divorced from the CEO role, is still the owner. He's still the final say on decisions. There's no way around that. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

Galaxy over Nashville

Dallas over Minnesota

Austin over Salt Lake

LAFC over Galaxy

Austin over Dallas

Austin over LAFC

Cincinnati over Red Bulls

NYC over Miami

Montreal over Orlando

Cincinnati over Philadelphia

NYC over Montreal

Cincinnati over NYC

Cincinnati over Austin in penalty kicks

• LOL 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

28 minutes ago, Sport said:

Galaxy over Nashville

Dallas over Minnesota

Austin over Salt Lake

LAFC over Galaxy

Austin over Dallas

Austin over LAFC

Cincinnati over Red Bulls

NYC over Miami

Montreal over Orlando

Cincinnati over Philadelphia

NYC over Montreal

Cincinnati over NYC

So you're saying you're optimistic? 

55 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

So you're saying you're optimistic? 

I'm saying I don't know anything and I had a friend win a grand in a March Madness pool because he went to Kentucky and they made the title game as an 8 or 9 seed that year. I think it was the year UConn won as a 7 seed? The lesson there was just be a homer and eventually some year you'll be right. 

I'm also rooting for the two rival matchups in the second round in the West so that's why I picked those games that way. 

• Applause 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

This is the only way Crew fans could find it in our hearts to root for the comet . . . to land in the owners box at Q2 Stadium on national TV. 

14 minutes ago, Digby said:

There's almost always a 3-5 seed in the MLS Cup final. Sometimes even both finalists. It's one of the most unpredictable world soccer knockout tournaments (for better or worse) (I'd argue worse). It's worth a punt! 

It's the same with most knockout tournaments. If the team gets hot at just the right time they can ride it all the way to the final.  I think if they had home and away ties again the top teams would still be in it at the end instead of the 4-7 seeds sneaking through.

22 hours ago, GDAWG said:

MLS needs to just tell them New Jersey and New York are the same thing. I like the idea of the New York teams sharing the stadium ala Inter and AC Milan, but since it's still Red Bull's stadium and not the city's they'd still be a tenant instead of a partner. The obsession with having to have that stadium in metropolitan New York City instead of just outside has been annoying. 

19 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I know the Thorns players are asking their supporters to show up for the playoffs, but the way to give the biggest middle finger to this guy is to not show up at all. It probably won't happen, but other than just sitting there and not cheering at all, what else will get there point across? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

This is the only way Crew fans could find it in our hearts to root for the comet . . . to land in the owners box at Q2 Stadium on national TV. 

That is why I chose that as the final. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I know the Thorns players are asking their supporters to show up for the playoffs, but the way to give the biggest middle finger to this guy is to not show up at all. It probably won't happen, but other than just sitting there and not cheering at all, what else will get there point across? 

That's a legitimate dilemma. How do you boycott without also harming the players, who are also victims in this scenario? I've read of some supporters rationalizing that the cost of their ticket alone isn't enough to impact profit margins, and using that logic to justify attending. I'm not sure I agree, but I can understand the desire to rationalize the situation that way. 

At this point, I'd think airing your grievances through TIFO, or other forms of collective protest, can keep the issue in the public eye while still allowing them to support the players. 

Just now, gosioux76 said:

That's a legitimate dilemma. How do you boycott without also harming the players, who are also victims in this scenario? I've read of some supporters rationalizing that the cost of their ticket alone isn't enough to impact profit margins, and using that logic to justify attending. I'm not sure I agree, but I can understand the desire to rationalize the situation that way. 

At this point, I'd think airing your grievances through TIFO, or other forms of collective protest, can keep the issue in the public eye while still allowing them to support the players. 

Only problem with the tifo is that the teams can decide to not let you raise it. Collectively turning their backs to the field during the game, no cheering, or protesting outside are options as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we see something like a supporters group march to the match, but in silence, followed by a short protest outside before entering the park. Red Bulls fans raised up signs on decision day so that might be something they try to do too.

14 minutes ago, Sport said:

That is why I chose that as the final. 

Hahahahaha!!! To get as much support as possible from us? Good call. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png