North American Pro Soccer 2022

Brian in Boston

40 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Question about Louisville, for those of you who may know it better than I. I've always liked the idea of MLS moving into cities where it can be among the biggest games in town, and Louisville would fit that bill. Yet I watched Louisville City's semifinal match against Pittsburgh on TV this weekend and the place looked barely half full. I'd like to think that, rain or shine, the place would be packed for a game of that level of importance. 

I lived there for a couple of years. My impression of local sports was that if it wasn't the Cats or the Cards, no one cared.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I lived there for a couple of years. My impression of local sports was that if it wasn't the Cats or the Cards, no one cared.

I suppose it's hard to say whether landing a MLS franchise would improve the sustainability of fan interest. Part of me wonders whether getting this far in the USL Championship playoffs every year starts to feel redundant after a while. Louisville's played in three of the last four finals and won two of them. 

Still not a good look for the local fanbase, but it would speak to the limits of the USL as a whole. If you've already won it multiple times, what more is there? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I suppose it's hard to say whether landing a MLS franchise would improve the sustainability of fan interest. Part of me wonders whether getting this far in the USL Championship playoffs every year starts to feel redundant after a while. Louisville's played in three of the last four finals and won two of them. 

Still not a good look for the local fanbase, but it would speak to the limits of the USL as a whole. If you've already won it multiple times, what more is there? 

I wonder if the owner is rich enough to make the move to MLS or if he's going to need a financial backer.  I would think it's the latter. 

On 10/26/2022 at 8:33 AM, Digby said:

It's an even numbered year which means, yes, "MLS considering significant overhaul of playoff format". 

https://theathletic.com/3730955/2022/10/25/mls-considering-significant-overhaul-of-playoff-format-sources/?source=user-shared-article

Key points: MLS wants way more postseason games to sell to Apple, considering a World Cup or UCL-style playoffs with four groups of four and then a knockout bracket. Fun idea and I feel like Grant Wahl or somebody else suggested that years ago at this point. Another option is keeping the current system but going back to two legs, which like...weren't they just doing that but then complained about how teams could lose the game they advanced in? That would be my preference, both for sporting reasons and because every playoff team ought to have a home game, but it's so MLS that they just continually change their mind on how to do this. Also this is going to amount to a long, long season with a whole lot of games.

The proposed WC or UCL style format would further devalue the regular season. I can't see players interested playing several more playoff matches on top of the regular season and any USOC/CC or Concacaf Champions League matches. Plus, MLS and Liga MX are taking one month off next season for the League Cup, which is already a WC-style competition.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Ain't much changed...still mostly that. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Question about Louisville, for those of you who may know it better than I. I've always liked the idea of MLS moving into cities where it can be among the biggest games in town, and Louisville would fit that bill. Yet I watched Louisville City's semifinal match against Pittsburgh on TV this weekend and the place looked barely half full. I'd like to think that, rain or shine, the place would be packed for a game of that level of importance. 

Lynn Family Stadium seats 11,700. It can be expanded to 15,304.  Louisville averaged 10,465 a game this year with several games selling out. The game this weekend was only 8,509 so not as big as many of the other games they hosted this year. Im not sure why it wasnt as full this weekend but I can tell you Louisville has a lot of support for its team, maybe not on the same level that Cincinnati did when it was in the USL  but I think they can support them if they move up. Im not sure what the weather was but some communities may have been doing trick or treating on Saturday.

Signature intentionally left blank

9 hours ago, Jer15 said:

Very happy about this but there's been more negative for the CPL coming out of the weekend than positive.

The word is that Edmonton will not return next year and the Faths (the owners) basically have a deal in place, should the CPL find a replacement, that they have to sign off on letting a new team come into the market. Likely the only way to get back to Edmonton is selling that franchise. 

Word is that York and Winnipeg aren't in good shape either and could walk (far less likely than Edmonton right now). The comment i've heard is "they need things to change". Obviously this is a financial thing but with a stadium being planned to be built for York in which they basically got free land I would assume that would change things for that club. 

Anyway, I could see Edmonton being out next year and the players they own going to Vancouver. 

Just putting this out there but maybe the CPL should of been put under the MLS/USL umbrella and could of been put into EAST WEST divisions to save on travel?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

22 minutes ago, tigers said:

Just putting this out there but maybe the CPL should of been put under the MLS/USL umbrella and could of been put into EAST WEST divisions to save on travel?

We need our own league.

There's Canadian player quotas that's not happening (or at least isn't a priority) in the US leagues. Which is fine, they should be focused on their program. But Canada isn't in the world cup unless we don't create a pathway for Canadian players to develop.

• Like 2

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

35 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

We need our own league.

There's Canadian player quotas that's not happening (or at least isn't a priority) in the US leagues. Which is fine, they should be focused on their program. But Canada isn't in the world cup unless we don't create a pathway for Canadian players to develop.

I get your point.

Maybe it would be better off being an under 23's league or similar?

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Canada needs a top tier professional league. Not a glorified youth league(like U-23) TBH, it's cut and dry.

It's like the Welsh situation imo. Wales has their own leagues and pyramid, even if some of the leagues compete in the FA Leagues. In this case, some Canadian teams compete under the US banner and in MLS like Welsh teams and England.

Doesnt devalue to Welsh system or underscore the need to have their own, which they do and Canada does and need to as well.

• Like 2

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

San Diego, Las Vegas expansion in "active discussions": MLS Commissioner Don Garber

I would prefer San Diego over a Las Vegas club. However, I wouldn't be surprised if both cities join the League. Also, it wouldn't surprise me at all when MLS  expands beyond 30 clubs. Seems to be the way things are going anyway.

MLS Open To Playoff Revamp: Garber

I know the possible playoff changes were mentioned several posts ago, but it's good to hear that the Commish address it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrySmalls said:

San Diego, Las Vegas expansion in "active discussions": MLS Commissioner Don Garber

I would prefer San Diego over a Las Vegas club. However, I wouldn't be surprised if both cities join the League. Also, it wouldn't surprise me at all when MLS  expands beyond 30 clubs. Seems to be the way things are going anyway.

MLS Open To Playoff Revamp: Garber

I know the possible playoff changes were mentioned several posts ago, but it's good to hear that the Commish address it.

How much until MLS will have to split into two leagues with Pro/Rel? 36? 40?

2 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

How much until MLS will have to split into two leagues with Pro/Rel? 36? 40?

48. And it'll stay a closed system just like NISA so those dropping down will still get the same amount of cash as the teams staying or moving up, because that's the only way those owners agree to it. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

48. And it'll stay a closed system just like NISA so those dropping down will still get the same amount of cash as the teams staying or moving up, because that's the only way those owners agree to it. 

I remember when NISA was very pro-pro/rel so they changed their tune some how

2 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I remember when NISA was very pro-pro/rel so they changed their tune some how

Barely keeping teams can do that. The fact that the New York Cosmos still technically belong to that league, despite not even playing, is sad. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png