North American Pro Soccer 2022

Brian in Boston

6 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Anyone else wish they would just go back to the two legged playoff format?

As someone who saw the Sounders win but lose to the Galaxy multiple times in-person, no. Knockout is way better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Anyone else wish they would just go back to the two legged playoff format?

5 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I understand why they're doing this, particularly in the first year of what could be a make-or-break opportunity with Apple.  But this current single-elimination MLS playoff format is ideal, particularly because it doesn't drag out what is already feels like a really long season that struggles to breath within a really crowded field of competing sports options. It makes those games considerably more important and worth tuning into. 

6 hours ago, Digby said:

Key points: MLS wants way more postseason games to sell to Apple, considering a World Cup or UCL-style playoffs with four groups of four and then a knockout bracket. Fun idea and I feel like Grant Wahl or somebody else suggested that years ago at this point. Another option is keeping the current system but going back to two legs.

If you want to make it 8 teams per conference for the playoffs, don't make those 16 teams play another mini season when you'll have teams that are also playing League Cups group games next year. Adding around 8-12 games on a team's schedule, depending on what competitions they are in, isn't the best way to do business. Especially if some of those games have to be played on turf or in a baseball stadium. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Can someone break down to me how all these soccer playoff tables/in season League Cup/Champion Cup/Open Cup tournament things go? I know the rules of the game on the pitch...singular games, that us. But I've never known how all the rest of that stuff works...vielen dank im voraus!

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I havent heard much lately about MLS possible expansion to Las Vegas, but now there are reports according to the San Diego Union Tribune that a group led by an Egyptian billionaire have been meeting with MLS regularly to bring a team to San Diego and Snapdragon Stadium as soon as 2024 . While California already has the Earthquakes, LAFC and the Galaxy, I think San Diego can work, especially after the Sacramento debacle. Id much rather have San Diego in MLS than Las Vegas.

• Like 4

Signature intentionally left blank

41 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

I havent heard much lately about MLS possible expansion to Las Vegas, but now there are reports according to the San Diego Union Tribune that a group led by an Egyptian billionaire have been meeting with MLS regularly to bring a team to San Diego and Snapdragon Stadium as soon as 2024 . While California already has the Earthquakes, LAFC and the Galaxy, I think San Diego can work, especially after the Sacramento debacle. Id much rather have San Diego in MLS than Las Vegas.

I feel like they'll just try to find a partner for Las Vegas if they don't get it done before San Diego.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, Dilbert said:

MLS is probably adding teams 30-32 in San Diego, Phoenix and Las Vegas.  All five major leagues will likely have a team in Las Vegas, because the NBA is likely expanding to Las Vegas (and Seattle) and MLB will likely have a team in Las Vegas, either the A's move or there's expansion.  

Me personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Lou City FC try to make a move up if they can get someone super rich backing them.  I am a fan of new markets getting their first Major League team, although I wasn't a fan of how Austin FC came about and I didn't mind the Golden Knights coming to Vegas.  

• Like 3

On 2022-10-26 at 6:56 PM, tBBP said:

Can someone break down to me how all these soccer playoff tables/in season League Cup/Champion Cup/Open Cup tournament things go? I know the rules of the game on the pitch...singular games, that us. But I've never known how all the rest of that stuff works...vielen dank im voraus!

Oh boy, this will be fun.

• MLS Cup is the classic playoff tournament at the end of the regular season; classic bracket-style for now, may move to a group stage+knockouts in the future.
  • US Open Cup is a bracket/knockout style tournament open to every team in MLS, the three USL leagues and I think even the semi-pro leagues below that; runs in parallel to MLS but is administered by US Soccer Federation, not MLS.
  • CONCACAF Champions League is a group stage+knockouts tournament in the first half of the year, running in parallel to MLS, invites the top teams from MLS, Liga MX and the leagues of Central America/the Caribbean. Administered by CONCACAF, the regional federation.
  • Leagues Cup has followed no consistent format thus far, but as of next year, will be a group stage+knockout tournament with ALL teams in MLS and Liga MX. MLS will pause its season for a few weeks to do this. Administered by MLS and Liga MX.
    • Yes, this seems redundant with Champions League, so we'll see how having both shakes out; Leagues Cup appears to be a money-grab to get more of that money toward MLS suits instead of CONCACAF suits, and gets every MLS team filling their stadia with Mexican club fans for 1-4 games per year.
  • Campeones Cup, I don't even know to be honest with you.
  • Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Salt Lake is currently the smallest American market in MLS. USL has several teams in larger markets that could jump up to MLS. Those markets are Phoenix, Oakland, Detroit, San Diego, Tampa Bay, San Antonio, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Indianapolis. Three future USL expansion markets Rhode Island  (Pawtucket is part of the Providence area), Jacksonville, Milwaukee.  Oklahoma City, Memphis, Louisville as well as two USL League One markets North Carolina (Raleigh-Cary) and Richmond are also ahead of Salt Lake. You also have USL teams that share MLS markets in  Orange County, Loudoun (part of the DC Metro), Miami, future clubs in Queens and Fort Worth and a League One club in Charlotte. Markets without teams include Riverside/ Inland Empire, San Francisco (though Oakland and San Jose have teams), Baltimore, Cleveland, Virginia Beach/Norfolk.

Looking at the USL attendance from this season one surprise is the team with the best attendance, New Mexico. While Albuquerque is significantly smaller than Salt Lake, New Mexico United brought in an average of  10,724 this season. Louisville was right behind at 10,465. Sacramento averaged 9,876. Indy averaged 8,285. While several of the USL cities could support an MLS club, they would need a venue and ownership with a lot of financial backing. I firmly believe that for a team to join MLS they need to show success in attendance for either previous hosting of games for the US national team or USL.  Several USL markets have done that but the numbers are actually quite smaller because of stadium size limitations.

Id love to see several teams make the jump to MLS. Some may be more realistic than others. Id love to see Phoenix, San Diego, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis and Louisville. I know Louisville can expand their stadium to MLS standards and Indy will begin construction on a new stadium soon that could potentially house an MLS club, Phoenix, and Tampa at one point had expansion bids that fizzled out. I believe while Snapdragon Stadium in San Diego was built primarily for San Diego State football, it was also built with soccer in mind. My choice would be to have San Diego be team 30, Tampa or Phoenix be team 31 and Louisville or Indy be team 32. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Salt Lake is currently the smallest American market in MLS. USL has several teams in larger markets that could jump up to MLS. Those markets are Phoenix, Oakland, Detroit, San Diego, Tampa Bay, San Antonio, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Indianapolis. Three future USL expansion markets Rhode Island  (Pawtucket is part of the Providence area), Jacksonville, Milwaukee.  Oklahoma City, Memphis, Louisville as well as two USL League One markets North Carolina (Raleigh-Cary) and Richmond are also ahead of Salt Lake. You also have USL teams that share MLS markets in  Orange County, Loudoun (part of the DC Metro), Miami, future clubs in Queens and Fort Worth and a League One club in Charlotte. Markets without teams include Riverside/ Inland Empire, San Francisco (though Oakland and San Jose have teams), Baltimore, Cleveland, Virginia Beach/Norfolk.

Looking at the USL attendance from this season one surprise is the team with the best attendance, New Mexico. While Albuquerque is significantly smaller than Salt Lake, New Mexico United brought in an average of  10,724 this season. Louisville was right behind at 10,465. Sacramento averaged 9,876. Indy averaged 8,285. While several of the USL cities could support an MLS club, they would need a venue and ownership with a lot of financial backing. I firmly believe that for a team to join MLS they need to show success in attendance for either previous hosting of games for the US national team or USL.  Several USL markets have done that but the numbers are actually quite smaller because of stadium size limitations.

Id love to see several teams make the jump to MLS. Some may be more realistic than others. Id love to see Phoenix, San Diego, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis and Louisville. I know Louisville can expand their stadium to MLS standards and Indy will begin construction on a new stadium soon that could potentially house an MLS club, Phoenix, and Tampa at one point had expansion bids that fizzled out. I believe while Snapdragon Stadium in San Diego was built primarily for San Diego State football, it was also built with soccer in mind. My choice would be to have San Diego be team 30, Tampa or Phoenix be team 31 and Louisville or Indy be team 32. 

The San Diego Wave of the NWSL already play there and they have done really well attendance wise.  

We'll have a new champion this year Philadelphia defeats NYCFC and will play at LAFC for the MLS Cup.

Also congrats to Forge FC on winning their 3rd Canadian Premier League title in the four year history of the league. They defeated top club Atletico Ottawa today in the nations capitol.

USL League One Final is now set as South Georgia Tormenta will host Chattanooga Red Wolves for the title. Both clubs knocked off the top two seeds in the semifinals.

USL Championship Conference Finals are set. Colorado Springs will play at Supporters Shield winner San Antonio, while Tampa Bay will play at Eastern Conference Champion Louisville. Louisville has played in the conference final all 7 of their seasons since the team began in 2015.

• Like 1

On 2022-10-12 at 10:14 AM, Digby said:

There's almost always a 3-5 seed in the MLS Cup final. Sometimes even both finalists. It's one of the most unpredictable world soccer knockout tournaments (for better or worse) (I'd argue worse). It's worth a punt! 

nailed it

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

11 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Also congrats to Forge FC on winning their 3rd Canadian Premier League title in the four year history of the league. They defeated top club Atletico Ottawa today in the nations capitol.

Very happy about this but there's been more negative for the CPL coming out of the weekend than positive.

The word is that Edmonton will not return next year and the Faths (the owners) basically have a deal in place, should the CPL find a replacement, that they have to sign off on letting a new team come into the market. Likely the only way to get back to Edmonton is selling that franchise. 

Word is that York and Winnipeg aren't in good shape either and could walk (far less likely than Edmonton right now). The comment i've heard is "they need things to change". Obviously this is a financial thing but with a stadium being planned to be built for York in which they basically got free land I would assume that would change things for that club. 

Anyway, I could see Edmonton being out next year and the players they own going to Vancouver. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 10/27/2022 at 6:52 PM, Dilbert said:

MLS should give California as many teams as they want. San Diego, Sacramento, Orange County, San Francisco, Inland Empire... :censored: it California could just have its own league.

On 10/28/2022 at 12:57 PM, Dilbert said:

I agree with you, yet one city that didn't show up on your list was Las Vegas, which seems more likely than most of those cities to get a franchise. 

Question about Louisville, for those of you who may know it better than I. I've always liked the idea of MLS moving into cities where it can be among the biggest games in town, and Louisville would fit that bill. Yet I watched Louisville City's semifinal match against Pittsburgh on TV this weekend and the place looked barely half full. I'd like to think that, rain or shine, the place would be packed for a game of that level of importance.