Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

The closest thing to the Browns/Ravens relocation is the Winnipeg Jets of the NHL.

Like the 1996-98 Baltimore Browns, the Jets' records, history, lineage continued in Phoenix. When the New Jets came along, were the city of Winnepeg and new Jets franchise able to pry the old Jets records back from the Coyotes, 'fake' like the team just went on a decade-long hiatus, and say the Coyotes were just expansion?

The hornets lineage is probably more muddy than the browns. Officially the the Charlotte hornets suspended operations the same year another hornets team popped up in New Orleans. Then that team changed to the pelicans and the same year the old hornets started again in Charlotte. But in that time there was a team in Charlotte that was named the bobcats that happened to suspend operations the same year the old hornets started up again. It just so happens that all the players, coaches, staff and owners of the bobcats happened to go to the hornets that year. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dont care said:

The hornets lineage is probably more muddy than the browns. Officially the the Charlotte hornets suspended operations the same year another hornets team popped up in New Orleans. Then that team changed to the pelicans and the same year the old hornets started again in Charlotte. But in that time there was a team in Charlotte that was named the bobcats that happened to suspend operations the same year the old hornets started up again. It just so happens that all the players, coaches, staff and owners of the bobcats happened to go to the hornets that year. 

If a team relocates and takes the exact players and personnel with them, then the lineage remains with that team, even if they rebrand or make some silly hanshage agreement to leave the nickname with the original city. I already know the Seattle SuperSonics are going to try some "fake history" stuff ala the Browns, should they ever get the Sonics back. Sorry, but the franchise that won the 1979 Finals now resides in Oklahoma City. Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton both played for the current OKC Thunder. You cannot tell me otherwise.

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

The closest thing to the Browns/Ravens relocation is the Winnipeg Jets of the NHL.

Like the 1996-98 Baltimore Browns, the Jets' records, history, lineage continued in Phoenix. When the New Jets came along, were the city of Winnepeg and new Jets franchise able to pry the old Jets records back from the Coyotes, 'fake' like the team just went on a decade-long hiatus, and say the Coyotes were just expansion?

The deals happening prospectively and retroactively make them entirely dissimilar .

43 minutes ago, Cujo said:

If a team relocates and takes the exact players and personnel with them, then the lineage remains with that team, even if they rebrand or make some silly hanshage agreement to leave the nickname with the original city. I already know the Seattle SuperSonics are going to try some "fake history" stuff ala the Browns, should they ever get the Sonics back. Sorry, but the franchise that won the 1979 Finals now resides in Oklahoma City. Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton both played for the current OKC Thunder. You cannot tell me otherwise.

It depends on the team.  In the case of Baltimore, not really.  These aren't handshake agreements.  They are legally negotiated contract terms.

From a corporate standpoint, Baltimore Ravens LP, the corporate entity that is the team, was founded in 1996 and fully incorporated in July 1997.  It acquired all of the assets -- team members (and more importantly, contracts), coaching staff, operational executives and staff, etc. -- of the corporate organization that was the Cleveland Browns and moved them to Baltimore.  A new corporate entity called Cleveland Browns Football Co LLC was formed in 1998 and it acquired all of this history, stats, records, awards, and colors of the previous Browns team.

Whether you accept them or not, the NBA, the New Orleans Pelicans, and the Charlotte Hornets have legally transferred histories, stats, et al., between the two teams.  The 2002 New Orleans Hornets are officially recognized as the expansion team instead of the 2004 Charlotte Bobcats.

As for the Sonics and the Thunder, the legal agreement, as part of the settlement to allow the team out of their then lease at KeyArena, is that the team name, colors, logos, etc., would be transferred free of cost to a new Sonics team upon request.  The trophies, banners, jerseys, etc. were left in Seattle and will also be given to the new team free of cost.  The Thunder are  free to use them and make copies for display, if they want.  The settlement put a 5-year clock on the history, records, stats, etc. that ended in 2013, so that will likely have to be negotiated again.  During that 5-year period, the agreement was that the teams would share the history. 

At the very least, that will likely continue.  But given that the Thunder themselves identify their establishing date as 2008 and rarely reference the Sonics history, including the '79 championship, it's largely thought that the Thunder will give up the Sonics history.

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

As author and founder of the term CLEVEJACKED™️©️®️, I feel I deserve immunity from any ridicule or backlash which stems from a proper Chris Creamer Sports Logo Community message board Clevejacking.

No one is above the law here at CCSLC. You Clevejack a thread, you live with the consequences. 

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

29 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Colts choked—>”don’t feel bad cuz Colts left Baltimore” —> current team in Baltimore left Cleveland—> “Lamar Jackson and Bernie Kosar played for the same team”—> comparison to NBA relocation cluster:censored:s—> “Gary Payton and Kevin Durant played for the same team”.

8 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Colts choked—>”don’t feel bad cuz Colts left Baltimore” —> current team in Baltimore left Cleveland—> “Lamar Jackson and Bernie Kosar played for the same team”—> comparison to NBA relocation cluster:censored:s—> “Gary Payton and Kevin Durant played for the same team”.

To be fair, that last one is true no matter which side of the argument you’re on.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

9 hours ago, Cujo said:

That’s why I said “officially”. Is that what really happened? Absolutely not but the NBA will try to make believe that it was.

I'll never for the life of me understand why people should give two spits about the legal wording the NFL put in place when the Browns weren't around for a few years. Why does anyone care this much?

Focus people! The real question is which franchise got custody of the Browns' gray facemasks.  Try to remember what's important.

Since there's no going back from an ole' fashioned Clevejack, I'm really disappointed that they didn't update (rather, revert) the colors with the latest redesign.  There's just too much red in the helmet, and the masks / jersey are too dark.  The lighter orange and 'seal brown' (I think that's what they called it) were far better than the shades of each that they're wearing now.  Go back to the old colors and gray mask, and I'll be better able to tolerate the mind-bending number font (is it block?  is it round?  Peanuts and gum... together at last!)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

43 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Since there's no going back from an ole' fashioned Clevejack, I'm really disappointed that they didn't update (rather, revert) the colors with the latest redesign.  There's just too much red in the helmet, and the masks / jersey are too dark.  The lighter orange and 'seal brown' (I think that's what they called it) were far better than the shades of each that they're wearing now.  Go back to the old colors and gray mask, and I'll be better able to tolerate the mind-bending number font (is it block?  is it round?  Peanuts and gum... together at last!)

Grey face masks? Now there is really no going back now

9 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Thread done got jacked.

This is more than your typical Clevejack, though...I don't know what to call it. It's some kind of jack, though. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Thread done got jacked.

This is more than your typical Clevejack, though...I don't know what to call it. It's some kind of jack, though. 

I would say "RelocationJacked", but that's just me.

36 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m still hung up on the whole “one of the main helmets.”

You can't have multiple "main" helmets. Although, of you had designated home and road, I guess that would work, expect that Nike doesn't believe in home/road as a rule.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You can't have multiple "main" helmets. Although, of you had designated home and road, I guess that would work, expect that Nike doesn't believe in home/road as a rule.

The new helmet rule is only for alternates though. Which can only be worn 3(?) times a season. That leads me to believe Washington will have a set up similar to Dallas. They’ll likely wear the burgundy uniform for 14 games and the white uniform with black helmet for 3 games.

It’s also possible that the phrase means same shell but different striping and facemasks can be used.

10 hours ago, MDGP said:

To be fair, that last one is true no matter which side of the argument you’re on.

Until Seattle gets a new team, upon which the NBA will play peek-a-boo with the history books.

Back to the main topic, though, i'm sure that Washington will have an all-BFBS alternate and a helmet to match---but since they have black outlines on the road numbers, they will most definitely start mixing and matching the black helmets and pants, similar to what we saw Philly and the Jets do this year.

Archived